Good, durable, action cam (I.E helmet cam) for independent filmaking?

SchneiderRproSchneiderRpro Website User Posts: 22
edited May 2012 in Practical Filmmaking
Hello all, I looking for an small action cam to be used in my productions. I'm not exactly an expert on helmet cams and all alike, so it would be great if any of you guys had any info.
I've currently narrowed down my search between the:
Drift HD720 or Drift HD
ATC9K (Oregon Scientific)
Delkin Wingman HD
CamOne Infinity

My budget is $250.
If anybody has any suggestions on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    My only real experience with this kind of thing is with GoPros. Is there any specific reason you're not looking at GoPro cameras?
  • SchneiderRproSchneiderRpro Website User Posts: 22
    edited May 2012

My only real experience with this kind of thing is with GoPros. Is there any specific reason you're not looking at GoPro cameras?
    I have a couple reasons:
    1. Gopro is too expensive for all the features I need.
    2.Hitfilm has no fisheye correction effect that I know off, so I need one with minimal fisheye.
    3. The drift hd and the drift hd720 both have digital zoom, so on times when I need a view less than 170 degrees, so I can get a wide angle but not too wide angle when I need it.
    I would like to have an lcd screen so I can know what I'm getting.
    Would happen to know of any durable cameras?
    Also would you happen to know if there is any way to correct fisheye in hitfilm?
  • StrikeEmStudiosStrikeEmStudios Website User Posts: 224
    I can't comment on the cameras you've listed, but the GoPro Hero 2 has 3 settings (wide - 24mm/medium - 35mm /narrow -50mm), narrow has no distortion from my experience.
    Also this summer theres a Technicolor firmware upgrade coming out which should improve the detail in the image and the bit rate will be pumped up to 35mbps, thats on par with Canon DSLR bit rates.
    It might not be the camera you need if you want zooming, but digital zoom is never a good thing as it degrades the image quality by zooming in on the usual image.
    edited May 2012

I can't comment on the cameras you've listed, but the GoPro Hero 2 has 3 settings (wide - 24mm/medium - 35mm /narrow -50mm), narrow has no distortion from my experience.
    Also this summer theres a Technicolor firmware upgrade coming out which should improve the detail in the image and the bit rate will be pumped up to 35mbps, thats on par with Canon DSLR bit rates.
    It might not be the camera you need if you want zooming, but digital zoom is never a good thing as it degrades the image quality by zooming in on the usual image.
    Thankyou for the info. :) I did not know that the hd hero2 has 3 angle settings.
    But. that leaves one dilemna between the hdhero2 and the drift hd. The drift hd is cheaper and it has an lcd screen that I don't have to pay extra money for. Which one would you reccomend? (Sorry for my not-so-good typing)
  • StrikeEmStudiosStrikeEmStudios Website User Posts: 224
    Really it's all down to what your use of the camera is going to be, these are all stunt cameras - are you going to mix the footage with another cameras?
    I'd personally pick the GoPro (£225 - amazon) and get a extra screen, but this will come in about £30 over your budget (sorry didn't check in dollars), there would appear to me to be more support for the GoPro and as far as future upgradability goes, the GoPro has more going for it. From what i've seen, where a lot of the cameras (CamOne infinity and DriftHD mainly) are pretty good, they might be better than the GoPro is some areas (menus), their not quite there - future versions might be something to rave about.
    The choice is down to you, how far your budget can stretch, what will be the best for what you're making.
    Note: i did some more extensive test/using of my GoPro yesterday and the multi angle settings are achieved with digital zoom, on narrow setting the footage can look quiet noisy, but it's a un-intrusive grain like noise rather than the horrible digital noise you get in low light. I'm sure one the bit-rate update arrives this noise will be reduced, as the upgrade practically doubles the current bit-rate.
    edited May 2012
    On the drift hd, you also can acheive different angles using the digital zoom. I would to use it in the making of a couple first person action videos. I would also like to get that-weird-angle shot where no other camera can go. Thankyou for replying. I think i'm going to go with the drift hd because I watched a comparison video. The Drift HD had better colors, digital zoom also, and an lcd screen for $100 cheaper than what I would have to pay for an lcd screen and a go pro hd hero 2. And it is $60 cheaper than an hd hero and lcd screen.