Video Game High School by freddiew

StaffOnlyStaffOnly Website User Posts: 78 Just Starting Out
Episode 1
Freddie and Brandon are moving up. I see Zachary Levi will be in this show (after Freddie did a cameo in the last season of Chuck), and the production is much bigger than the quite famous web-series The Guild. It's only a matter of time before they get a job for a studio.
Also I saw Hitfilm is sponsoring this. ;)

Comments

• DanielMorganDanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    I was a bit underwhelmed by it. Good fx and all, what I come to expect from FreddieW, but without the humor or enjoyable plot line. I also thought the acting was really not up to scratch for me , but only the first ep
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    To me, this was like watching a Disney TV show a bit, however it wasn't as bad as most of the shows on Disney now-a-days.
  • FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
    To be honest I kinda disagree, it's got a much better plot than his short videos, but as it is a series the plot has to be spread out across the whole thing. Also as it is the first episode, I am guessing, he didn't want to give too much away, just enough to make people watch next weeks.
    Anyway first episodes of things are usually not as good as other episodes as they need to set the story and what not, so now they can expand as they have clarified who the people are and where they are and how the y got into VGHS.
    The acting wasn't that bad, but on a low budget you can't expect amazing acting! Haha.
    And yes it has gotten vey popular, very quickly, and I am glad to see hitfilm on the credits :D !!
  • KahvehRobinettKahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    I thought it was amazing. Not the best acting job in the world but still decent. And I love the concept of using YouTube'rs for most of the acting. Its kinda a nerd thing, and I can't wait to see more. Good job Freddie and Brandon ;) .
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited May 2012
    It's only a matter of time before they get a job for a studio.
    Freddie's done professional studio work in the past, I believe. They do stuff online not because they don't have offers for major studio work, but because they'd rather stay independent and do their own stuff. When they can earn a living through YouTube advertising, can raise huge budgets through Kickstarters in just a handful of days and regularly get millions of views per video, and can do pretty much whatever they want, moving into the studio system isn't necessarily a step up.
    If a project comes along that interests them I'm sure they'll go for it, but from talking to them I definitely get the impression that they don't see the online space as a 'stepping stone' to something 'better'.
    [quote]Also I saw Hitfilm is sponsoring this. ;)[/quote]
    Indeed, given Freddie and Brandon's links to FXhome we decided to get on board right at the start. Bit more info here.
    As for episode 1 of the show - I really, really enjoyed it. It has a wonderful 1980s feel to it that is very reminiscent of John Hughes/Back to the Future/etc, shone through a prism of gaming culture. Looking forward to seeing where they go with it.
  • ZedFableZedFable Website User Posts: 136
    I was impressed with the VGHS's premiere, but not overwhelmed. However, I don't think thats a bad thing- this is after all a first episode and as someone who watches a lot of good serials, I know the first one has to lay the groundwork. It's very rare that the first episode of a really good show is even in my top 10 when I think back on my favorites. But the first few are important, because all the humor, drama and action can be so much better when you know and are invested in the characters.
    I spotted the HF logo at the end too, and was first kind of impressed but then confused. I mean, are they using HF for any part of the series, or is it just to get you name out there?
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I spotted the HF logo at the end too, and was first kind of impressed but then confused. I mean, are they using HF for any part of the series, or is it just to get you name out there?
    Our involvement is on a few levels and is still evolving, but primarily we are sponsors of the show because we like what those guys do and have a connection to them going waaaaay back to the earliest FXhome online community. We're hoping to have some more direct post involvement as well, and do some b-t-s tutorial type content relating to VGHS.
  • KahvehRobinettKahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    Super excited to see you guys involved in such a revolutionary and amazing web series. Maybe in a few years there will be some more indie film makers coming out of this community B-)
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    So I just got a casting notice about Video Game High School season 2. Man I hope I hear back.
    Keep us posted! :)
    So I land an audition for VGHS season 2... and it just so happens to be on the same day as the orientation for my investigator internship. I need to make this work some how.
    Good luck! Hope you figure it out. What's an investigator internship?
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Awesome, Michael! Good luck. That would be a sweet opportunity. I'm also interested in the investigator internship... I hope it's paranormal investigation. ;)
    @Simon I feel like I am Bruce Wayne/Batman at times. So I put myself through the local police academy and now im trying to get a police or investigator job. To gain additional experience to get a competitive edge on the competition I am getting an internship at the Public Defenders' investigator office. If you go to jail and cannot afford a lawyer a public defender is appointed to you. That defender relies on their own county investigators to gather as much information as possible to better defend you. My internship will give me experience investigating crimes. My police training is the bare minimum requirement for a state or city/county police/investigator job and getting hands on experience should put me over the top for a job.
    My true passion has always been acting and filmmaking but I need a day job till something that pays consistently comes along.
    Well my orientation for work ended early and i made it to burbank for my audition. Here is hoping i get to worry about making the callback on monday.
  • ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    Hope you get that call back!
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,837 Ambassador
    Good luck man. I hope you get the acting gig and the internship. :)
    I have the internship for sure.
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,837 Ambassador
    Nice... it'll be awesome if you get the acting job too. :)
  • Augustca1984Augustca1984 Website User Posts: 6
    Michael James it's interesting to meet another Investigator with the same intrests. I myself moonlight as a Private Investigator work in a call center during the day and try and tackle film making in my free time.
  • BrianJohnsonBrianJohnson Website User Posts: 83
    edited April 2013
    Interesting. I am a Network Engineer by day, but I also work for a Private Investigative firm doing Incident Response and Computer Forensics.  My hobbies then include VFX/Indie Film making, 501st Legion Costuming, & WWII Living Historian/Reenacting. 
    Haha sounds like there is a  lot of us out there.  Computer forensics... very nice.
  • PerfectancePerfectance Website User Posts: 11
    So now that VGHS Season 2 is out and FXHome is an even bigger sponsor, let's keep this thread going.  If you've seen the new season, what do you think?
    (Didja get the part, Michael?)
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited August 2013
    I've been enjoying it. So far, in my opinion, it hasn't been as good as Season 1, but I haven't watched Season 1 in a while and due to the amount of time that has gone by, I may just not remember its flaws.

Yea but I think the reason it does not seem as good is because they are expanding certain characters stories randomly.  So Brian D can't have Jenny Matrix because she wants to focus now(as if she wasn't before).  Its also slipped from fun to a bit more lampoonish.  Still gonna watch but im worried its pulled a Heroes. 
    Definition
    Pulling a Heroes
     Having a great season 1... and then instead of moving on to new characters  in the universe it just tries to keep the characters around and come up with more and more ridiculous ways to keep them interesting.
    He's dead! Oh no, people liked that character! He's not dead! We're stuck in a plot hole! Weird character motivation switcheroo! He's changed his mind again! More epic! TIme travel! This makes no sense! Erase everything! Loses powers! Gains powers! Intriguing plot thread! Forget about intriguing plot thread and follow the stupid one instead!
    Basically describes the storytelling both Heroes and Lost.
  • PerfectancePerfectance Website User Posts: 11
    @MichaelJames I agree, they are getting ridiculous with their supporting characters. The Law has become a clown, Ki is an incompetently obsessive RA, and Ted is become even stupider. But at least they still use the cool Hitfilm "DeRez" effect.
    So, I've been watching their behind the scenes videos (sadly, they're on RocketJump.com and not the alternate YouTube channel, freddiew2) and it's given me more of an appreciation of the show.  They explain why these characters are acting the way they are and what the writers were thinking when they wrote the story. For a web video, the show isn't bad.
    But most relevant to us and this forum, they touch on how they filmed the show. As a terrible filmmaker, I've seem some great tips and tricks that might help me become a little less terrible.
    Has anyone watched more of the show or seen the behind the scenes stuff?
    I've watched some of the behind the scenes stuff and its nice to see but the thing is if the show sours to the point where we no longer watch whats the point?  Yea to writers and creators almost all of their own ideas after their own screening process must be "good ideas."  The first season got me into to the series... if the series started with season 2 I wouldn't of watched it.  The Law in season 1 was over the top but the top was very much closer to normal.  Now their normal is up where the law use to be and the law is pushed even further.  Its their show and they can do with it what they want... BUT as a fan I wish they wouldn't. 
    Saved by the bell proved that maintaining the same formula on a great show keeps things watchable for a long time.  Coming up with permanent changes and character advancements comes at a high cost to possibly ruining the formula.  In saved by the bell they had episodes which displayed that Zack actually had a high IQ and scored better then some of the nerdy characters...  Those ventures into trying new things never provided a permanent change for the character.
    The opening credits are :(.  I get it... just :(
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    I feel that season 2 has no point and is not going anywhere. When I first heard they would be doing longer episodes I got excited because I thought more would be happening, but unfortunately it seems that less is actually happening.
    Every episode so far could be considered as 80% percent filler and 20% story-arc. When they were doing shorter episodes they got to the point fast, but now that they have more time it seems they don't even have a point. It's still enjoyable to watch and I can't wait to check out episode 5, but this is just not the same show as season 1. This season is a great example that more budget won't make your project better if your story is lacking.
    I could go on and on about why I think this season isn't great, but I'll stop for now :)
    So I see the role I auditioned for... the goons who run away when shockbot shows up as a girl.  "OMG its a girl... we won't get kisses"  I can see why I didn't get that.. I was going serious versions... not campy bad