Favorite short films?

MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
edited May 2012 in General
So I've been watching Film Riot since nearly the beginning and they recently started recommending short films they like. I saw one called Interpretation by Lin Oeding. After watching, it quickly became one of my favorite short films I've seen. I was wondering if anyone else had seen any noteworthy short films? What are your favorite shorts? What makes a good short in your opinion?

Comments

• FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
    What would you class a short film (how long)?
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    A feature film is considered to be a movie running 40 minutes or longer so I would say anything under 40 minutes.
    edited May 2012
    But what about films that are about 3 minutes long, would you count that as a short film (like corridordigital videos and freddiew).
    Or do you think it can be any length nder 40mins as long as it has a plot to it (a serious one)?
    If so, I would say dubstep guns is one of my fav. Just because of the effects :)
    Oh, sorry. Yeah I'd say that any video under 40 minutes that can be classified into a genre is a short film. So yeah, the shorts by corridor digitial and FreddieW would count.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yeah, having a 'serious plot' (how do you even define that? :) ) isn't necessary for something to be a short film.
    Of course, a 10 second effects test probably shouldn't be classified as a short film. On the other hand, you have the 5seconfilms guys: http://www.youtube.com/user/5secondfilms
    Basically, classifications are silly. :P If something feels like a short film to you, it probably is.
    While I've seen countless great (and terrible) short films over the last 12 years, I find that I have a harder time actually remembering them. Part of the issue is that they're so short they barely register on my memory, even if they're great.
    A recent short that caught my attention was Project Kara, which is actually an advert for Quantic Dream tech but still works as its own little narrative:
    "serious plot" supposed to mean it has a story to it that gets developed , eg, in dubstep guns the guy at the start is running away from people, he gets shot then they call in "drop squad" or who ever to come and terminate the leader of the oposition.
    (doesn't really need to have a thorough story, just one that allows the film to last for a bit so it can be classed as a short film, eg my fus ro dah video is 12 secs, and it has no story to it as there is not enough time for a story to actually develop ad be fulfilled, therefore I would not class it as a short film and I am sure no one else would. So really I would say short films don't tend to be under a minute, I'd classify one as a short film if it was over a minute or two depending on the story.
    But then again there isn't a set length for a film to be classified as a short other than the fact that it has to be under 40mins, (or is there a minimum time?)
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2012
    You're really over-thinking this, Flehxi. There is no strict definition of how long a short film is, just as long as it isn't feature-length. People make films with cohesive plots that last only seconds. I myself have made a five second short film. Yes it's extremely short, but that doesn't mean it isn't a short film. If it's filmed, contains any sort of narrative, and is short, it's a short film. It doesn't really have anything to do with time, it's more about the content. You could make a film that lasts 24 frames, and call it a short film as long as those frames tell some kind of narrative.
    Ps. Simon, that Project Kara video is really cool. I had forgotten about that. Especially impressive that it's running on a PS3.
    Well thanks for clearing that up aculag, can your 5 second short film be viewed (it on YouTube?)
    I have never seen the project Kara short, very cool. Interesting how the director can get you to believe in the humanity of an object that is not human. Interesting how far our sympathy will really go.
    edited May 2012

Well thanks for clearing that up aculag, can your 5 second short film be viewed (it on YouTube?)
    Not on youtube, but here's a link.

I have never seen the project Kara short, very cool. Interesting how the director can get you to believe in the humanity of an object that is not human. Interesting how far our sympathy will really go.
    The humanity of androids is one of the most interesting conceits in science fiction, to me. Partially because, like you said, it's curious how we can feel sentimental about machines if they are able to emote and behave human, even when we know they aren't. But also because I'm certain this is something that humanity is actually going to be dealing with in the not-so-distant future. There are already basic androids that elicit an emotional and sympathetic response from human users, even without having to look completely lifelike. Once we get to the point where the droids can look and act like the one in the Kara video, we're going to have some extremely interesting ethical dilemmas arising.
    Of course I'm sure that's what the Project Kara game will end up being about (pretty sure it's going to be for their next game, like how Heavy Rain had that short film that preceded it). A machine lifelike, and intelligent enough, that it doesn't see itself as being a machine at all would have some pretty heavy implications. Fascinating!
    Anyway, this is irrelevant to short film discussion. :)
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Anyway, this is irrelevant to short film discussion. :)
    Except, of course, that it highlights how powerful a short film can be, and how effective it can be for raising concepts in a very efficient manner.
    The difference in narrative pacing between a feature and a short offers all kinds of different opportunities. To examine a single issue, the short film offers a more focused environment than a feature, which inevitably becomes broader in its scope.
    Also: I agree with your thoughts on robots. It's exciting to think that we're approaching a time when these concepts will cease to be science fiction and will be themes we have to face practically in society.
  • MasterWolfMasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    edited May 2012
    One of my all time favorites is a short film by Tomek Baginski called Fallen Art. The dialogue is so memorable, I don't think I will ever forget a single line.
    Wo, that's ... Kinda strange, but good!
    I just watched cardboard warefare 2 (I'd link it but can't as I am not on PC), cardboard warefare 2 is seriously 'awesome' . Parts of it they used really explosions or just stupendousl good stock footage and rotoscoping. Other than that the story is very good, the actors are good, and it all just fits in together nicely.... but, sadly, as many modern short films (and films) the camera work can be rather shaky, but at least you don't loose to much detail when it shakes :D
  • PzuePzue Website User Posts: 40
    Yeah Cardboard Warfare 2 is awesome.
    Cardboard Warfare 2
  • FoxFox Website User Posts: 87 Enthusiast
    edited May 2012
    Impressive, I loved the dog fight, it really out you in the pilots position, but I wasn't the biggest fan if the rest, but I still enjoyed it a lot! Definatley one not to forget!
  • b4uaskitsrogolob4uaskitsrogolo Website User Posts: 7
    Great topic. I've got a large list of shorts to share, but I won't spam them all in one post. I may bump this topic now and again with a few selections if there's interest.
    [center]* * *[/center]
    [size="3"][center]Table 7 / dir. Marko Slavnic[/center][/size]

[size="3"][center]SHELTER / doc / dir. Jason Sussberg[/center][/size]

[size="3"][center]Behind the Scene / comedy / dir. Yousheng Tang[/center][/size]

[size="3"][center]TRIGGER / drama / dir. Roderick MacKay & Dave Stephens[/center][/size]

[center](Great behind-the-scenes video here.)[/center]
    [center]* * *[/center]
    Oh, and Flehxi: if you're interested in 5 second films, I have a feeling there is a pretty popular site for that...
  • FoxFox Website User Posts: 87 Enthusiast

Despite a bit off topic, a visual breakdown of the dog fight animations in The German
    One of my all-time favorite comedic shorts:

Check out their YouTube channel, because they have a whole lot of amazing shorts.
  • AndrewAndrew Website User Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    The BMW Films series, and how they interchanged styles of different directors into short, disposable, all generally-really-cool short films always really, really intrigued me and Ben- and it has never been a secret that one of these shorts inparticular, by 'The Grey' director Joe Carnahan, is pretty much the go-to point of inspiration for us in many/most of the project we've done since we (seriously) started in filmmaking 7-8 years ago. We have, in the past, shamelessly drawn from it's fragmented narrative, use of quasi-philosophical voiceover and line/shot repetition, and overall aesthetic flair in an attempt to carve out our own unique style in the earlier years. I think we have, and I'm happy for that- but it would not at all be without the leaping-point of that short film.
    And that, is Ticker.
  • LinkedPicturesLinkedPictures Website User Posts: 150
    Hate to sound like a n00b, but probably Prism.