The Dark Knight Rises - Trailer #3

AndrewAndrew Website User Posts: 379 Enthusiast
[size="5"][center]"Not everything.....not yet."[/center][/size]

Comments

• PLANBPLANB Website User Posts: 105
    Man the hype just gets bigger and bigger! Another awesome trailer I'll watch over and over again :D To be very honest this looks like the only film I'll see this year. Kind of lost faith in most contemporary movies after being dragged to see that safehouse one.
    The fire rises!
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Definitely looking forward to seeing this all the more now. Very impressive trailer.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited May 2012
    Nice trailer indeed. Although I do get the feeling that I know the entire story now, if not the fine details - hopefully I'm wrong.
    The Dark Knight-style cowl still looks absurdly huge on Bale's head. :)
    I love that this film and The Avengers both exist in the same year. So different. We've come a long way from the old days of 'comic book movies' all being lumped in together as if they're all the same.
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    This looks awesome.
  • mercianfilmmercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    This looks a great finale for the series- i like the look of the daytime shots as well. I'm still not sure about the flying machine thing yet- it seems at odds with the rest of the nolan batman universe in the trailer- hopefully it won't seem that way in the film.
    I agree Simon! It's great that we can have two massive superhero productions at the same time of year and both being different styles. The avengers looks like it's going to be an old fashioned fun movie to watch whilst this batman one looks like it's going to keep us gripped throughout. I just wish people on youtube wouldn't be so defensive and enjoy each film on it's own merits.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    But didn't you know? On the internet you're only allowed to like one specific example of any given category!
    I'm still not sure about the flying machine thing yet- it seems at odds with the rest of the nolan batman universe in the trailer-
    Why? They've had crazy gadgets from the start, and TDK had that whole cell phone city imaging array thing. I think it fits perfectly.
    Then again, the cell phone city imaging array thing was possibly the worst part of Dark Knight, even with the ethical question that was touched upon for about 5 seconds.
  • mercianfilmmercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    I know they've had lots of cool gadgets but most of them seemed like they could actually be created in our time- whereas the flying thing seems to stand out from the universe that Nolan has created. I know the comics have all manner of vehicles like submergible boats and all sorts- i dunno- like i said it will hopefully work in the film.
  • AndrewAndrew Website User Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    I have to stick with Aculag (who, funny enough, I recall being extremely annoyed by the cell-phone sonar in our 2008 Dark Knight thread)- there is nothing grounded or real about 'cell-phone-vision' playing on hundreds of blue LED screens. It was almost cringe-worthily-out-of-place in The Dark Knight, even. So I see no problem with the flying Batwing.
    Not because it's equally-as-ludicrous as the cell phone thing, but because I actually believe it to be more grounded and believable than that.
    It'll certainly be more believable than Katie Holmes.

It'll certainly be more believable than Katie Holmes.
    I thought, and still do, that she was much more fitting than Maggie Gyllenhaal- who, while I like as an actress and bares a close semblance to Holmes- is an example of an unnecessary recast to the detriment of the quality of the overall film. She just feels slightly out-of-place to me, and less fit to be the spunky, young, beautiful companion to Bruce's cold exterior.
    I was actually going to mention this in my previous post, because- again, while I think she did a perfectly acceptable job- the recast takes away lots of the connection and gravitas Batman Begins sets up. So that when Rachel dies, it doesn't feel earned as being an emotional break, because we're new to the actress/basically-character-herself. Likewise, the loss doesn't feel as genuine, because I believed Bruce Wayne to be in love with Katie Holmes' Rachel Dawes, not Gyllenhaal.
    That always bothered me, felt like it cheapened the film. Thanks for bringing it up. ;)
  • jawajohnnyjawajohnny Website User Posts: 143
    Guys... remember The Dark Knight Rises apparently takes place eight years after The Dark Knight. Plenty of time for technology to advance and Lucius Fox to develop the Batwing.
    I agree with Andrew on Maggie Gyllenhaal. I think Katie Holmes' performance was perfectly fine... so as good as Gyllenhaal is, her inclusion just felt "jarring" to me. I think she brought to much of her own personality to the role... and she ultimately didn't feel like the same "Rachel" that Bruce Wayne knew in Batman Begins. Still... it's only a minor complaint... and it ultimately doesn't cheapen the film for me.
    This trailer looks excellent, though. I still have an issue with Tom Hardy's voice... but I'm sure it will work better once I get used to it in the context of the entire film.
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    So who else doesn't believe all that stuff about Batman dying at the end? That would NEVER happen; don't know why people are even entertaining the idea.
    About Katie, I'm part of the group that didn't see what was so bad about her. Besides, she's the original Rachel, and recasting is just cheap.
    I too didn't like the recast. I actually like the Katie Holmes Rachel more than the Gyllenhaal, but that's just me.

So who else doesn't believe all that stuff about Batman dying at the end? That would NEVER happen; don't know why people are even entertaining the idea.
    It happened in the comics. Nolan's universe is dark, and they're making sure to let everyone know with the marketing that this is the end of the legend. It's not the end of the story, it's the end of Batman. I've always thought he would die in this, and I think it makes sense thematically.
    Not like there won't be a new Batman franchise in three years anyway. ;)
    I personally don't think batman will die. He very well could, but I see him being mamed or something but probably not die...
  • KahvehRobinettKahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    I think it would be satisfying to have him die. Not because I don't like Batman, but because a fallen hero(Like the one in the trailer) dyeing after saving the city is sad but satisfying. But that's just me.
  • PookyPooky Website User Posts: 46
    I'm actually gonna take the Holmes/Gyllenhaal thing a little further and say that on top of agreeing with Andrew up there, I actually thought Holmes was vastly better for that character. She was more bubble-gum positive, as opposed to Maggie's sadder/darker take, which I felt worked much better as "that one thing that Bruce holds on to from his old life". She needed to be the only innocence that was left in his life, and Katie looked a lot more innocent. Also she just is better-looking.
    Also, I'm calling it: Batman dies, and Gordon-Levitt takes up the mantle.
  • jawajohnnyjawajohnny Website User Posts: 143
    [quote name="Pooky"]
    Also, I'm calling it: Batman dies, and Gordon-Levitt takes up the mantle. [/quote]
    Yeah... I can definitely see that happening. He is featured a lot in this new trailer, so maybe he is more than just the "beat cop" he's been described as?
    edited May 2012
    I just want to say that, in all honesty, I was privy to transferring a phone conversation a few months ago from Christopher Nolan himself to another filmmaker on my end, in which I heard lots of talk of 'how to show the death' and other buzz words of that sort with how making it 'experiential was key' instead of montaging through it.
    I thought, at the time, I had to just be letting my mind and curiosity over hearing one side of a conversation wander- but this trailer pretty much cements the idea. Nolan is killing Batman, and the people are rising to the occasion of empowerment, taking a collective stand against evil in his place.
    The additional second unit photography of Occupy Wall Street last fall, additionally, somewhat serves to suggest this.
    Also, one idea no one is seeming to entertain is that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of the League of Shadows, and that he becomes disillusioned with what they're doing following some sort of tragic event. His knowledge of Bruce Wayne's capture ("Did they kill him?") and breathlessness with the bridge collapse in the trailer shots (presumably, as the sequence suggests, shuttling school kids out of the city) seem to suggest he either turns from good to evil or evil to good.
    I dislike the recast as well, but generally preferred Gylenhaal in the role. However, I agree that the recast essentially kills any empathy with the Rachel character in TDK.
    I wondered whether the bridges being destroyed is actually government sanctioned, after Bane takes over the city. I seem to recall a plotline in the comics where they essentially cut Gotham off from the rest of the USA so they didn't have to deal with it, and left it to rot, with only Batman there to protect people.
    Presumably a key theme after TDK's amateur vigilantes ("I'm not wearing hockey pads") subplot in TDKR is Batman inspiring the right kind of followers - not people trying to be Batman, but people standing up for themselves and not putting up with corruption and violence.
    From the trailer it doesn't look like the entire film takes place 8 years later. It could well be that it starts off shortly after TDK, Bane arrives, cripples Batman, the bridges and blown and Gotham becomes a rogue city state under Bane's control, then Wayne spends 8 years recuperating before returning to the fight and reclaiming the city, though sacrificing himself in the process.
    Or something.
    :)
  • StaffOnlyStaffOnly Website User Posts: 78 Just Starting Out
    "Or something" indeed. Think that guess is pretty good, Simon.
    I agree about pretty much everything said in the thread. I just wanted to add that I'm glad Nolan is bold enough to try the "big finale". Because from a marketing standpoint he has little incentive to do so. The Dark Knight was smaller and more intimate than Batman Begins and everyone (except me it would seem) thinks that is a great thing. When I saw the title for this film I expected more of the same, but Nolan doesn't seem like he's just going to give people what they (at least think) they want, but rather make the finale he wants to his trilogy. Big finales have failed in the past when they are the third movie (like Pirates 3 recently), but I see no other option than to at least try. This is the first trailer that has me excited for this.
    And I agree we can't compare Avengers and TDKR and that they can work just fine in the same year, but on that note I think it will serve Nolan well with some "big epicness" to compete.
    The difference is that trilogies like Pirates get 'bigger' through spectacle. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is getting bigger through story, with spectacle being a side effect of that.
  • er-noer-no Website User Posts: 8

The difference is that trilogies like Pirates get 'bigger' through spectacle. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is getting bigger through story, with spectacle being a side effect of that.
    Which is why we'll get two more Pirates in the next six years and not another Batman by Nolan.
    Cannot wait to see this Batman though, love the style, and I don't doubt that although the trailer gives away a lot, the best kept secrets are still to come.
  • ProgradeProductionsProgradeProductions Website User Posts: 5
    How come no one gives props to the main man.....CHRISTOPHER NOLAN!
    I think plenty of people give props to the main man. Deservedly so, I will admit- Nolan's an incredibly talented director.
    But sadly, in film school, Christopher Nolan's name is more well-known than even absolute pop culture legends/classics like Scorsese, the Coen Bros, or Spielberg these days.
    Nevermind Kubrick, Malick, Lumet, or any of other latter classic. Nolan is all anyone knows these days. I think he'll be just fine if this specific forum doesn't give enough props. ;)
    Hey Andrew, remember how you kept saying the poster marketing for TDK was such lazy shit? Wait til you get a load of THIS:
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gJR8y.jpg[/IMG]
    Seriously, I can't even believe this is real. Sooooo unbelievably lazy.
    This is the third movie in a well established film series. I'm pretty sure this won't hurt their box office sales any, but I do agree, it is awful.
    edited May 2012
    I'd argue that they should be pulling out all the stops for this movie instead of counting on the success of their last films to draw a crowd. It's definitely going to do very well either way, but this is just apathetic. "Take that old teaser poster, make it orange, add some words, and how will they know it's Batman without BATMAN? Doesn't matter if it looks good or if the text lines up right, just get it made."
    I just hope this isn't the best they can do, and they'll still put out something proper before the premiere.