PC turns off when scrubbing

GodAtum
GodAtum Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in Post-production techniques
My PC sometimes turns off when scrubbing through footage in Hitfilm. I have the Ultimate trial. My GPU fan seems to be running at quite a high speed as i can hear a lot of noise when I scrub. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to learn to use this software more :)
My specs are quite reasonable:
Intel i7
9GB RAM
ATI 6870
300GB Raptor
1TB Samsung F1
Windows 7 64 bit

Comments

• GodAtum
    edited April 2012
    Update: the GPU temp goes up to 90C when scrubbing through footage
    Is that dangerously high?
  • budwzr
    budwzr Posts: 655
    The fan is controlled by the computer, not the software. And if it were a problem I'm sure the BIOS would alert you. Every Windows computer has this alert feature.
  • GodAtum
    Do you know why my PC might be turning itself off then?
  • Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,512 Staff

My PC sometimes turns off when scrubbing through footage in Hitfilm. I have the Ultimate trial. My GPU fan seems to be running at quite a high speed as i can hear a lot of noise when I scrub. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to learn to use this software more :)
    My specs are quite reasonable:
    Intel i7
    9GB RAM
    ATI 6870
    300GB Raptor
    1TB Samsung F1
    Windows 7 64 bit

Update: the GPU temp goes up to 90C when scrubbing through footage
    Is that dangerously high?

Do you know why my PC might be turning itself off then?
    Hi,
    It sounds to me that you either have a faulty GPU or your there is not enough airflow through your system in order to keep the temperature of your GPU down. Your machine is shutting down to protect itself from damage as 90C is very high.
    Try using your machine with the side panel off, if that solves the problem then you know your GPU is getting too hot.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • GodAtum
    I have installed a new CPU cooler (a Noctua NH-U12P SE2) and it seems to have fixed the issue :)
  • Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,512 Staff

I have installed a new CPU cooler (a Noctua NH-U12P SE2) and it seems to have fixed the issue :)
    Good to hear, glad you got it sorted
    Ady