Any one with Mac Experience

DanielMorgan
DanielMorgan Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
Hey, I'm ordering a mac for a small independent production company. It needs to edit HD footage, and use after effects. Now I don't know my mac specs, any one got a second opinion on these? If there adequate or not.
Description The stylish Apple iMac 21.5-inch computer offers a great jump in speed with its improved dual core 3,060 MHz Intel Core i3 processor with a speed of 3.06 GHz. As for its design, the Apple iMac has a sleek high-definition IPS screen and has a 1,920x1,080-pixel native resolution. The Apple iMac 21.5-inch desktop has four USB ports and a graphics memory of 256 MB. This all-in-one computer weighs 9.3 kg and comes with a Bluetooth keyboard and a mouse with a touchscreen surface. Running on Mac OS X operating system, the Apple iMac also has a 21.5-inch LED backlit display screen. With 4 GB of RAM and 500 GB of hard drive capacity, the Apple iMac 21.5-inch comes equipped with a graphic chip that is a powerful ATI Radeon HD 4670. The optical drive uses DVD + R dual layer, DVD +/- RW or CD R/W discs. This Apple iMac 21.5-inch desktop is an ideal high performance computer for first-time Apple users with its easy setup feature. The screen lends a clear viewing experience eliminating the noticeable color shift when users are looking at a certain angle. The Energy Star certification makes it a good option for eco-friendly and budget-wise computer users. The Apple iMac 21.5-inch remains to be an attractive desktop PC for home office, business, and family use. Product Identifiers Brand Apple Product Family iMac Model ID iMac11,2 Model Number A1311 MPN MC508B/A EAN 885909388998 Processor Processor Type Intel Core i3 Processor Speed 3.06 GHz Number of Cores Dual-Core Motherboard Motherboard I/O Ports FireWire (IEEE1394b) x 1, PS/2 Keyboard x 1, PS/2 Mouse x 1, RJ45 Lan Port x 1, USB 2.0 x 4 Display Screen Size 21.5" Hard Drive Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7200 RPM Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA II Memory RAM Technology DDR3 SDRAM Manufacturer's RAM Capacity 4 GB RAM Memory Slots Qunatity 4 x DIMMs Installed Cache Memory 32 KB Max. Cache Memory 4 MB CD / DVD Optical Drive Type DVD±R Dual Layer/DVD±RW/CD-RW Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 8x (DVD) Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD), 4x (DVD+R DL), 4x (DVD-R DL), 8x (DVD+R), 8x (DVD-R) Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 16x (CD-RW), 6x (DVD-RW), 8x (DVD+RW) Video On Board Graphic Processor ATI RADEON HD 4670 Max. Video Resolution 1920 x 1080 Installed Video Memory 256 MB Video Outputs DVI x 1, Dual-Link DVI x 1 Audio Audio Input Integrated Microphone, Line In (3.5mm), Optical Digital In Audio Output Headphones, Optical Digital, Speaker(s) Networking Data Link Protocol AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n Networking Type Bluetooth, Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card, Integrated Wireless LAN Dimensions Depth 18.8 cm Height 45.1 cm Width 52.8 cm Weight 9.3 kg Miscellaneous Form Factor All-in-one Release Date July, 2010 Other Features Built In Web Camera, Infrared Remote Control

Comments

• budwzr
    budwzr Posts: 655
    Gee, there's no Mac users?
  • NuttyBanana
    NuttyBanana Posts: 151
    The graphics card seems a bit weak, and they come with 512mb as standard now, are you getting this machine 2nd hand? If you could bump the memory up to 8gb it would be beneficial too. Apart from that there's not much else you can do. The machine itself will probably run what you need ok. Hitfilm will be boot camp only though, on windows. Until you start stacking layers in ae/hf or adding filters to hd footage in your editor it should be smooth enough.
    Thought you may have been able to offer some advice there budwzr, although I'm surprised you appeared in a mac thread.
  • DanielMorgan
    Meh I decided against it, not enough processing power for my taste
    Thanks anyways :)
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    The relevants specs on an iMac are going to be pretty much identical to hose for a PC. GPU, CPU, and RAM are the core components that relate to performance, and the Intel processors, and GPU that Macs have been using are the same hardware that many PC's are built with. As far as naming and performance goes, that is; there are probably a few technical differences between the Mac and PC versions of some components.
  • DanielMorgan
    Ended up getting an IMAC I7 27 inch 3.4ghz spec model. Should be coming soon ^^
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    I'm running one of those right now. Its a nice machine.
  • DanielMorgan
    Yeah, Hitfilm runs lovely with boot camp. I use AE as well for the more advanced work I do ( color correction) but that's purely because I'm now doing broadcast work and I have to have full control . Anything else, its hitfilm to me!