Digital Bolex

JCL_Films
JCL_Films Website User Posts: 158 Enthusiast
Just thought I would put this out there. The old Bolex Company is coming out with a 2k raw camera as well. It will be for around the same price as the Black Magic camera. Slightly different specs (they can do 90fps in standard definition) so check them out. :)

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited April 2012
  • jax_rox
    jax_rox Website User Posts: 19
    My worry with this is that the BMD camera will effectively kill off the market these guys had. They're essentially the same price, and with the BMD camera you get balanced audio ins, SDI and thunderbolt out, SSDs etc plus it's 2.5k opposed to 2k and it records to ProRes and DNxHD unlike the D Bolex. I think the D Bolex is a really cool camera and I love that it wasn't borne out of a major company and also love the nostalgia associated with it, but I fear that BMD may end up putting these guys out of business :/
  • TomMc
    TomMc Website User Posts: 112 Just Starting Out
    this is really interesting, and I love the fact that they are keeping some of the old bolex form facter.
    I know what you are saying about the BMD camera, but I don't actually think that they are going for the same market. the limitations of the bolex mean it's not really practical in many situations (recording to CF cards with approx. 4gb per minute is a problem) - but in more artistic/creative shoots, it sounds like a great option with all those lens mounts.
    I hope it finds a place - I have loved shooting 16mm on a bolex in the past.
    Their Kickstarter has gone well, and I imagine that this is always going to be a niche product (loads of directors are going to want to carry one around on set), but a very cool one
  • JCL_Films
    Actually, they had a spec update and said that they increased the resolution a bit and switched to SD cards instead CF, but your right, the old 16mm look is sweet.
  • jax_rox
    jax_rox Website User Posts: 19
    They do have the different lens mounts working for them, and I do think they will find a niche indie market, as opposed to the BMD which looks to be aimed at studios and production companies as Alexa and Red B-cams. Just depends on what the general no-budget indie wants from a camera I suppose.. The one thing they really do have going for them is the CCD sensor which abolishes any rolling shutter issues.
    That said, apart from the CCD sensor, XLR vs 1/4" jack audio ins and multi-lens mount (though apparently BMD plan to roll out in PL, and possible m4/3 mounts as well eventually), there's not that much going for it that I would warrant paying an extra $300 over the BMD. I certainly prefer the form factor and pistol grip and I think it's a really cool indie nostalgic product but to the average DSLR shooter, I'm not sure that half of them would know what the Bolex's namesake is, let alone care about the nostalgia of it..
    Time will tell, I guess..
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    In the interview he talks about using two 32gig cards to record about 30 minutes of footage. XLR ins are great and the CCD sensor is also a very good idea. I used to shoot on Bolex 16mm back in film school. Ah, the old days!
  • JCL_Films
    Can Hitfilm take RAW Adobe CinemaDNG footage?
  • Darren
    Darren Website User Posts: 164
    Thought I'd ressurect this since you can now download footage from the camera....
    http://www.digitalbolex.com/d16-in-the-wild/