Distortion or wave on the background

Hi, hey I created a prism teleport, but I saw in the video tutorial something I would like to add, but I don't know the name of the effect, so I join the video as you could see, it's from 0.17sec to 0.20sec, It looks like a wave but I am not sure @-) and if it's a wave which values do I have to select in control panel to get the same??? thanks

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    edited April 2012
    That ripple was created using Displacement. You also need an image of a doughnut shape, to serve as the source layer for the displacement.
  • moonwalker
    moonwalker Posts: 116

That ripple was created using Displacement. You also need an image of a doughnut shape, to serve as the source layer for the displacement.
    Ouh !! it seems complicated to make....A doughnut?? lol you mean invisibility by displacement?
    Wanted to thank you cause with white balance I could change the color of the shoes...Thank you Axel!!
  • AxelWilkinson
    Hey man, you're welcome! Glad I could help.
    Displacement is also used for invisibility sometimes, yes. Basically, it just offsets (displaces) the pixels of one layer based on the color information of another layer. In that case, they made an image of a doughnut shape (in their behind the scenes video, Corridor Digital call it a doughnut, that's why I used that word), but you can call it a ring or a torus if you prefer. Then you lay the doughnut image over the footage, animate it getting bigger, and use it as the source for the displacement. Then, of course, turn visibility off for the doughnut layer, so you don't actually see it in fornt of your footage.
  • moonwalker

Hey man, you're welcome! Glad I could help.
    Displacement is also used for invisibility sometimes, yes. Basically, it just offsets (displaces) the pixels of one layer based on the color information of another layer. In that case, they made an image of a doughnut shape (in their behind the scenes video, Corridor Digital call it a doughnut, that's why I used that word), but you can call it a ring or a torus if you prefer. Then you lay the doughnut image over the footage, animate it getting bigger, and use it as the source for the displacement. Then, of course, turn visibility off for the doughnut layer, so you don't actually see it in fornt of your footage.
    Axel, Don't know if you understood what I meant, cause the "doughnut" is on the first prism of the video,that's not what I need,I don't talk about the prism but about the street... the street which seems to be distorted at 0.16sec with the teleport effect,like a wave, it gives like a distortion of the time... watch at 0.16 s... You made me smile with your doughnut!! lol
    Thanks and nice day to you :))
  • AxelWilkinson
    Yep, that's the one I'm talking about, too.
  • budwzr
    budwzr Posts: 655
    edited April 2012
    The "donut" he's talking about is just the ripple shape, like circular. Can you see the donut-looking bump here?
    [img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8eF8MwkTTRs/T5gIs-8d17I/AAAAAAAABIU/t3BKrI29L1s/s1024/DispRipple.jpg[/img]
    Building bump, height, and displacement maps is an advanced compositing technique, and Axel has taken it to the next level with custom shimmering and some distortions, etc. Hahaha.
    The donut is just the first building block, and you won't find much information about this kind of stuff online because artists don't give up their knowledge for free. That's their livelihood.
    I'm not a pro, and don't mean to butt in on this thread, but I'll just make this one post, and hope it helps. Axel, please feel free to correct me, no problem.
    1) The "donut" above is a thick black circle I made in a paint program. Black and White, or greyscale, are the secret colors of compositing a shading or contour.
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lbJHZuEpVlo/T5gQCO2LWDI/AAAAAAAABIg/Sx0A0OHDyWo/s600/Donut.jpg[/img]
    2) I'm not totally familiar with HF's feature set, but I added a "Height Bump" and smoothed it out.
    3) Then parented that to the color gradient, as a displacement. Meaning, the donut "shape" becomes the contour of the childed track.
    4) Then it's time to animate the ripple. This is done by keyframing the size, angle, speed, etc, so the effect is of spreading out like a pebble dropped in a pond. This is where the artist's skill comes in.
    The black donut can be several concentric circles within a single graphic, or you can composite several variations of the single graphic. There's no right or wrong. It depends on the artist's vision.
    If you're like me, and have little artistic skill, then your ripple will "reflect" that, hahaha, pun intended.
    You can use a displacement to "contour" a lot of other things too like text.
    You'll want to save ALL your FX like this for future use so you don't have to do the work again.
    Good Luck!
  • AxelWilkinson
    Thanks for the graphic, budwzr, very nice. That should help clarify things for sure. Then that shape is animated to get larger, so that the displacement 'ave' expands from the center of the effect.
  • SketchWork
    SketchWork Posts: 127
    You can also use the radio waves effect inside HitFilm to create your displacement layer. I did a tutorial on this a while back here:

Justin
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Great tutorial, SketchWork, I've always liked that. Hence why I linked to it in my Extraction Protocol VFX breakdown. :D
    These same general techniques were used in my Confrontation At Dawn video, which has a shockwave right at the end:
  • moonwalker
    Hey thanks all!!!! wow you are very good!! lol nice videos!! gonna try each one and choose the best effect....
    Have a nice day, thanks again!
  • budwzr
    edited April 2012
    I think Axel's ripple looks much better because it's integrated with the footage, not riding on top.
    Shortcuts and workarounds don't ring true in the mind's ear or eye. :) Just a comment, don't get kerfuffled.
  • SketchWork
    edited May 2012

I think Axel's ripple looks much better because it's integrated with the footage, not riding on top.
    The technique I use above also uses the displacement wave, but in a different way so it too is integrated with the footage - it works in exactly the same way, but you don't need the donut image step B-)
  • budwzr
    edited May 2012
    ...it works in exactly the same way, but you don't need the donut image step B-)
    Yeah, but there's no ripple, right? Let me look at it again....brb...
    OK, yeah, you have a ripple, but it's too thin and looks like a too perfect ring.
    The other one is a fat transparent jello wave that has no hard shape. Like a real water wave.
  • SketchWork
    Don't forget you can customise the effect to
    1) not be a perfect circle
    2) to have multiple ripples with no keyframing
    3) and different widths of the ripple
    4) to make the random ripples with little keyframing
    5) to be able to move the centre of the ripple about without worrying about side clipping
    All without needing to leave the comfort of HitFilm.