Fxhome forums

AzulonsAssassin
AzulonsAssassin Posts: 109 Enthusiast
Woah! I just searched an issue I'm having with Vlab, and found a couple of threads on the old FxHome website. Problem is, when I clicked the link, the forums aren't there! I was actually kind of shocked. I didn't think that the forums there would be taken down. Now all there is is the support section. Kind of makes that website obsolete, doesn't it?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Um, no? All support queries now will go directly to the support staff, and all the information about the PhotoKey products, which is what that website focuses on, is readily available on the site. So quite the opposite from being obsolete, it is now more up to date and relevant than ever - everything there focuses on the products that the site is about. Also, in the past few months there have been far, far more posts which were spam and had to be deleted by the mods than there have been actual posts by users. The forums just weren't being used anymore, as pretty much all of the conversation had already moved to the new forums here.
  • Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    Sad to see it go. Memories all lost.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    As Axel says, the forums were no longer being used other than by spambots, so it was time to retire them. We wanted to make sure that the community had transferred over here first, which is why we only just made this change.
    While the changes have been a little scary for long-timers, on the whole it's working out very nicely. The old forums had been on a gradual decline for quite a while, in large part because we hadn't released any new video software for a few years. With HitFilm we have new software and a reinvigorated forum that is now on an upward curve. Exciting times.
    Still a way to go to get the community to where we would all like it to be - but that will happen organically as we all continue to contribute. It's already more diverse an active than FXhome.com had been for several years.
    As for memories...I've still got all of those, in my memory. :)
  • At least the forums will live on in the fractured netherworld of Google's cache.
    Sad to see 'em officially bite the dust, though. Those forums were incredibly influential to me in more ways than one.
    Here's to hoping HitFilm's community can do the same for the current gen of up-and-comers.
  • Serpent
    Serpent Posts: 24
    edited May 2012
    Why not just lock the forums? You've deleted history. :( Surely it's archived, no? (other than Google).
  • jawajohnny
    jawajohnny Posts: 143

Why not just lock the forums? You've deleted history. :( Surely it's archived, no? (other than Google).
    Yeah, I second that. The fxhome forums were probably the single most influential factor in me choosing to pursue filmmaking as a career. I learned so much over there... so I would hate to see it taken offline altogether. Can't you keep it up as an archive, and just not allow new posts or something?
  • PLANB
    PLANB Posts: 105
    Yeah some great threads like Sollthar's film making guide were so awesome :D
  • Ben
    Ben Posts: 51
    Hey guys,
    Long time no talk! Looking for some details that I only just realized are going to be a really big issue if what I think has happened has indeed.....happened. While I'm aware most of FXHome.com was moved over to this site, I'm wondering if anyone knows if any of the threads from the forums there were saved or have been moved over anywhere.
    I was trying to hit up a few bookmarks I'd had of pages of links, FAQs, other users films, etc; only to find myself redirected to a splash page about Hitfilm. While the Google cache is of some help in finding my own posts (and posts by my brother) on the site, because they were generally pretty prominent; some of the bookmarked stuff I had was less popular or from longer ago, and can't be found in the cache.
    Any assistance here would be of great help to me. Thanks!
  • AxelWilkinson
    Hey Ben,
    The forums aren't completely deleted, just moved out of public view. If you contact us through support, we should be able to get you hooked up so you can rescue your links and stuff.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    It isn't deleted, so all that history is preserved even if it isn't currently publicly available.
  • PLANB

It isn't deleted, so all that history is preserved even if it isn't currently publicly available.
    So...can we see Sollthar's awesome threads as well as the other stickies?
  • PLANB
    ...How about at least posting the archives for reference? :D
  • Evman
    Evman Posts: 19
    This makes me sad. I just discovered the same unfortunate truth.
  • StaffOnly
    StaffOnly Posts: 78 Just Starting Out
    If I want to retrieve one specific post, can I ask one of you mods to find it and copy/paste it into an email or private message?
  • AxelWilkinson
    Yes. If you contact me and let me know what you need, I can retrieve the info for you.
  • StaffOnly
    StaffOnly Posts: 78 Just Starting Out
    Excellent! :D Thanks.
  • Sollthar
    Sollthar Posts: 22
    Heh, googled to find my old filmmaking thread to print it out for a friend of mine and only just saw that it was deleted and found this instead.  :)
  • AxelWilkinson
    http://oldfxhomeforums.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
    The old forums are archived there, Sollthar.  And hi!  Its good to see you, man.
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    Holy crap!!! It's Sollthar!  :D 
    Where the hell have you been dude?  :) 
  • Sollthar
    Sollthar Posts: 22
    Great to see some of the old faces! And glad to see you guys are still doing your thing! Keep on filming!
    I've been a bit away from filmmaking, but back into it by now. Shall have a look around to see if there's others here I still know.  :)
  • HybridHalo
    HybridHalo Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    Some of us don't post much, but we're watching you. Watching all of you, but watching Sollthar especially.