White balance problem

Hi,
I need to light some points on the subject's clothes, I tried white balance as I saw on a tutorial on youtube (think by Rodopolis) well, I tried to drag the pipette but the color changes and I cannot have the white color, so how to do to keep white on the pipette to drag and drop on the point where I need to add the white??? And, do I have to add the effect when the subject chromakey is not saved with the background (still separated) or Do I have to add it after saving both together?? Thanks for your help
Have a very nice weekend

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    White balance is specifically for changing the colors in your image. Everything in the image will shift so that the area you select becomes neutral, meaning it contains the same values in the red, green, and blue channels. Its sounds like this isn't what you are trying to achieve, and perhaps white balance isn't the best tool for the task at hand. Can you explain further what exactly the result you are trying to get is?
  • moonwalker
    moonwalker Posts: 116

White balance is specifically for changing the colors in your image. Everything in the image will shift so that the area you select becomes neutral, meaning it contains the same values in the red, green, and blue channels. Its sounds like this isn't what you are trying to achieve, and perhaps white balance isn't the best tool for the task at hand. Can you explain further what exactly the result you are trying to get is?
    Axel, I saw a tutorial from Rodypolis on youtube, he shows how with the pipette to intensify the white on a shirt, well maybe I didn"t understand cause it's in english...I would like to intensify the white color on the subject's shoes cause the background is dark (it's a scene at night), so the white shoes now are no more really white...I want intensify the white color, maybe you have a solution, but I thought I could use white balance after watching that video,so don't know if I can do it only on the subject chromakey or after saving the subject and background together it's from 2.02sec to 3.20sec thanks
  • AxelWilkinson
    If the shoes currently have a color cast, which you want to remove, then white Balance is the tool to use. If you want to brighten the shoes, then its not. Something like LEvels or Brightness is going to be a better option.
  • moonwalker
    moonwalker Posts: 116

If the shoes currently have a color cast, which you want to remove, then white Balance is the tool to use. If you want to brighten the shoes, then its not. Something like LEvels or Brightness is going to be a better option.
    Ok Axel,so I can use white balance with the pipette just on the shoes??? but if I decide to use brightness as you say,how to do to add the brightness just on the shoes and not on the whole subject?
    (cause the clothes of the subject are black)
    thank you
  • AxelWilkinson
    The purpose of white balance is to correct the colors on footage that was shot with the wrong white balance to begin with. If your white are discolored, then everything else in the frame will be discolored as well. So by draggin the pipette to something that is meant to have a neutral color (either grey or white) but is properly exposed, then it can adjust all the colors in the entire image so all the colors are accurate. That is the purpose of White balance. You might want to take a look at this video, which shows what it does:

As with any grading effect, to limit it to a specific area, you would need to use a separate layer, either a copy of the footage layer, or a grade layer, and apply masks to limit the area which is affected.
    So, if the white areas of your footage appear a bit blue, or green, or red, then the White Balance is just the tool to fix that. If they appear grey, rather than actual white, then that is a matter of the exposure being incorrect when the footage was shot, and you need to use different tools to correct it. I would use either the Levels tool, or the Crush Blacks and Whites tool, so you can adjust the highlights without affecting the darker areas.