REDD (Riding Hood) No-Budget, Sci-Fi, Action, Horror Flick

Just wanted to give a very special and heartfelt thanks to FXhome. Without the use of Hitfilm Ultimate we wouldn't be able to do alot of the scenes I had written. I've been working on my feature film REDD for a year now and we're looking to wrap things up this summer so we can have screenings in the Fall.
I was editing as we shot, but when we started to get to the Visual FX stuff I was going to bite the bullet and buy AE. Being no-budget I was hoping for a much more affordable alternative. Divine timing indeed, as FXhome would put out Hitfilm and I bought a copy as soon as it was released. I've been having a blast learning the software and am blown away by what it can do.
Finally got to a point where I could put together a solid enough trailer. Please check it out.

Being a Sci-Fi movie we do indeed have scenes where futuristic space craft battle eachother and I'm very pleased with how Hitfilm was able to help with that. I built the model ships myself and composited in Hitfilm.
REDD's Ship "The Red Raven"
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/536720_398881476802189_163995830290756_1342207_240963904_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/421299_372216846135319_163995830290756_1269331_135514172_n.jpg[/img]

Check out our last production Vlog:

If you guys are interested in this at all I'll post updates as I've got more production vlogs coming up and some behind the scenes on some of the fx and compositing work.
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/73689_164003013623371_163995830290756_426219_420526_n.jpg[/img]
We're having a blast, and we've got a ways to go, but I just wanted to say thanks, and let everyone know about our little project.

Feel free to check out REDDMOVIE.COM
And please join us on Facebook at Facebook.com/reddactionhorrormovie

Comments

• Froi
    Froi Website User Posts: 966
    Wo, seems very interesting to say the least, and I love all the costumes and plot and what not.
    Like the music! :D and the opening shots of the trailer.
    Also what genre would you say this is and what are you hoping to get out of this project?
    Also do you have any short films you have made that we can view :)
    Love the work, keep it up :D
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    Patrick A. Prejusa Website User Posts: 30
    Thank you so much. As far as what genre, it'll end up in the sci-fi, action, even horror category. But I personally see this as a full on action adventure movie something along the lines of Escape From New York, Big Trouble in Little China.
    What I'm hoping to get out of it is to finally get a wider release then my previous feature films. My last feature was 6 years ago and we self distributed on DVD. It made a small run in some smaller venues and did "ok" on DVD, but I'm hoping to make a much bigger splash with this and really get this out to a wider audience.
    Previously I was working on a web series called Monster Cops which you can check out here:
    MONSTERCOPS.COM
    Everything else you can find mostly on my site PATRICKPREJUSA.INFO
    Thanks so much for your interest. :D
  • Froi
    Haha, I saw an episode of monster cops. 'twas funny! And I loved it because it reminded me of a proper cop show (camera work and audio) and the plot seemed pretty intriguing! So you act as well then?
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    That's awesome you saw an episode! It's on hold while we work on REDD. I love to act, do it on occasion, but I'm happy to stay behind the camera for REDD so I can concentrate on Directing.
    Glad you liked Monster Cops. I'm anxious to get the next few episodes out.
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,942 Ambassador
    Man oh man... I'm really diggin' the concept and I really like that green screen composite that you posted of your ship. It looks pretty awesome so far. :D
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    Thank you so much. I'm hoping the full ship battle turns out great. Hitfilm is making it real easy for me. Thanks for checking it out.
  • Froi
    Hey man, what camera you using to film?
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    Started with the T2i. Now I've got a couple of folks lending a hand with a T3i and a 7D. But the majority of it is the T2i.
  • TGamel
    TGamel Website User Posts: 81
    edited April 2012

Previously I was working on a web series called Monster Cops which you can check out here:
    MONSTERCOPS.COM
    Thanks so much for your interest. :D
    Watched the two free Monster Cops episodes that were on the website. There are not many web series that I would watch on a regular basis, but really enjoyed these and would be a regular viewer. Am looking forward to seeing the new episodes.
    Todd
  • Froi

Started with the T2i. Now I've got a couple of folks lending a hand with a T3i and a 7D. But the majority of it is the T2i.
    Yeahs, wonderful choice in cameras! Haha, I use the t3i :D what lenses you use?
  • Patrick A. Prejusa

Watched the two free Monster Cops episodes that were on the website. There are not many web series that I would watch on a regular basis, but really enjoyed these and would be a regular viewer. Am looking forward to seeing the new episodes.
    Todd
    Thank you. Monster Cops we've worked on forever. We've shot 4 new episodes and are inching closer to getting them out. Hoping to debut them in October when REDD's finally out. Yet another project I'm anxious to get the full vision realized. If you like you can join us on Facebook or Twitter. Probably the best way to keep up with updates.
    https://www.facebook.com/monstercops
    https://twitter.com/#!/MonsterCops
  • Patrick A. Prejusa

Yeahs, wonderful choice in cameras! Haha, I use the t3i :D what lenses you use?
    At the start had the kit lens, 18-55, which I scoffed at but have come to appreciate and use more than I thought I would. Got a Canon 50mm 1.8, and I've got an adapter for Nikon lenses. I use a Nikon 70-210 Macro. Great depth of field on that one.
  • Froi
    Cool so you use this one here... http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/12878/show.html ... What is that lens like, what do you use it for (type of scenes)
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    I bought the 50mm 1.8 because it had a better depth of field than the 18-55mm. I generally use it for close to medium shots, dialogue scenes, slow tracking shots. Works well with my slider.
  • Froi
    That is good to know, thanks, I may buy ine if those soon, or soonish I should say haha, well I just found a lens in my attack which is a EF 28-80mm f/ 3.5-5.6. You know anything about this lens, I don't know much other than I know it is rather old, I have not done much background info on it but I shall when I get the time, so I thought I'd ask quickly :D
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    Nope. Don't know anything about it. Seems like it'd be a good enough lens depending on what you're looking to shoot. :)
  • Froi
    Oh well, haha... I thought if another question haha! :P I don't know if you have mentioned this or not, but I shall ask anyway.... What mic do you use? I personally use the rode videomic pro :D it is a very good mic, but has a little bit of white noise when it is quiete but when there are noises going on the white noise goes / drowns out
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    I use the same mic as well. Same experience for me. I also have two ATR lav mics. I tend to use those for more intimate dialogue scenes. I occasionally use a tascam dr07 mark II. But I do use the rode all the time.
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    Just a heads up as we just launched a Kickstarter for this project to help raise the funds to finish and market this movie. Feel free to check out the Kickstarter video which shows some of the Visual FX break downs of some of the FX we've done using Hitfilm.
    And feel free to pass it along. We need all the help we can get.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1627973257/redd-the-most-bad-ass-indie-scifi-adventure-movie
    Patrick
    about.me/patrickprejusa
  • DanielMorgan
    DanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    Looks rather interesting I must say. Looking forward to this one deffo
  • Patrick A. Prejusa
    Thanks Daniel. Hoping we can knock this one out of the park.
  • Froi
    I'd help donate, but I spent all my money D: lol, but good luck!
  • Patrick A. Prejusa

I'd help donate, but I spent all my money D: lol, but good luck!
    I appreciate it nonetheless. :)
  • MarkOm
    MarkOm Website User Posts: 63
    Im gonna put some in to see the space battles. Im hoping for some tutorials on the model ship building?? lol
    Best of luck with this
  • Patrick A. Prejusa

Im gonna put some in to see the space battles. Im hoping for some tutorials on the model ship building?? lol
    Best of luck with this
    Thank you so much. And we do indeed have a bunch of tutorials coming.
  • Froi
    So what other websites and places have gone to to get some investors?
  • Patrick A. Prejusa

So what other websites and places have gone to to get some investors?
    I don't think I've posted about the Kickstarter anywhere else yet. I've been sticking with Facebook, Twitter, and most importantly personal emails to everyone I know. Not a bad start so far. This week I'm putting out press releases. We'll see if anyone cares to pick it up.
  • Froi
    So adverts in local news papers and what not? I'd also advise going on many other forums and talking about it so more people will know about it. Also sticking up posters in town halls (if you know people living in other cities/states/towns etc you can get them to stick up posters about the kickstrter in their town halls :)
    Good luck!
  • Patrick A. Prejusa

So adverts in local news papers and what not? I'd also advise going on many other forums and talking about it so more people will know about it. Also sticking up posters in town halls (if you know people living in other cities/states/towns etc you can get them to stick up posters about the kickstrter in their town halls :)
    Good luck!
    Good advice. I've got flyers ready to go. Now to find folks in other towns interested in helping spread the word. :)
  • Froi
    Awesome, what about putting flyers in schools and cinemas :)