Field monitor (iPad)

Froi
Froi Website User Posts: 966
So you think it is possible, using the right software and coding to make an iPad app that lets you use your iPad as a field monitor... Like the EOS utility thing that comes with Canons.
Because I may make an app for it with my mate so I don't have to buy a feild monitor :)

Comments

• OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Honestly, I would love for something like this!
    So long as the pictures was reasonably accurate and not way off on color and clarity it would be a neat and useful thing to have!
  • Froi

Honestly, I would love for something like this!
    So long as the pictures was reasonably accurate and not way off on color and clarity it would be a neat and useful thing to have!
    At first you'd have to connect the camera to ioad via hdmi lead, unless I find another way, you know another way? Then I have to make the footage go onto the iPad as it does with a TV. After that I can make a cool user interface and what not so it will be an awesome app. It will also let you be able to make notes and what not (hopefully)
    If I were to make an app like this how much would you pay for it?
  • spaghetti man
    spaghetti man Website User Posts: 24
    I'd totally be into something like this. Keep me updated please.
  • Froi

I'd totally be into something like this. Keep me updated please.
    I'm glad you like it! And I shal keep you up dated, in fact I am finding out if the app is possible to make soon as I need to get a connection from camera to iPad, that will then, with the right programming, show the cameras live mode on the iPad, (I shall add extra stuff too, hopefully)
    Any other feed back guys on the idea?
  • Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited April 2012
    Just saying, there already seem to be apps like that out there. In their most recent Sync BTS Corridor Digital briefly talk about it at about 5:55 :
    Sadly they do not name the app.
    EDIT: Sorry, they do indeed say they're using "Teradeck" or something like that. :D
  • Froi
    Yeah mate I saw that.... This is it http://teradek.com/ I don't know wch version it is, but if I am right It is about £1000 for the wireless cube for it, but there might be a cheaper version, so I will look at that and see if it is worth the effort of making a worse version of one of those but fora cheaper price, (it won't look as good or be as good though :( ) oh well! Haha
  • Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Yeah mate I saw that.... This is it http://teradek.com/ I don't know wch version it is, but if I am right It is about £1000 for the wireless cube for it, but there might be a cheaper version, so I will look at that and see if it is worth the effort of making a worse version of one of those but fora cheaper price, (it won't look as good or be as good though :( ) oh well! Haha
    Whoa. Okay, maybe I should've looked that up beofre posting, lol.
  • Froi
    Well they didn't mention what it was clearly in the video, I had to ask what it was in the comments to find out the name, (as they don't say it very clearly in the video (y the name that is)) lol
  • jax_rox
    jax_rox Website User Posts: 19
    Teradeck's Cube works by creating an ad-hoc wi-fi network that you join your iPad up to and it streams the footage direct. You can only really watch it in 480p though with low latency. It's a great setup, though perhaps pricey for no budgeters. There are apps on the app store that can do it with photos if you're connected to a wifi network, but the issue with film is you're usually not at a base that's fully equipped with a wi-fi network for you to stream live footage across. Even if you were, you'd still need a transmitter on the camera to feed the video signal out. Creating a wired solution would be pretty pointless as well, as most film sets already use wired monitors, and the point of the iPad is to use it as a cheaper wireless monitor solution.
    Unfortunately there's no real other way to do it, and Teradeck is super cheap and heaps easier in comparison to the other companies that manufacture microwave BNC transmitters.