Magic lantern

Froi
Froi Website User Posts: 966
Help! Please.
So... How do I download magic lantern onto my t3I?
I watched a tutorial on yotutube and it says I need software 1.1 but my canon says something like 1.9 (well it is higher than 1.1)... So if I go to 1.1 software do I degrade my t3I's awesomeness? He please I don't really know what I am talking about with these software names and what not
Thanks

Comments

• StrikeEmStudios
    StrikeEmStudios Website User Posts: 224
    honestly, i doubt you actually need Magic Lantern, and all you should need to do is:
    Format your SDHC card
    Copy Magic lantern files onto SDHC card
    turn on and play around.
    I don't use Magic Lantern, and i get along just fine. you should be fine with what your camera produces at this point. Get used to the DSLR, then once you've learnt all the basics and some more - thats when you should start advancing onto 'hacks', theres no reason to over complicate matters.
    get the Technicolor preset and play with that if anything, it beats the standard colour settings, but a flat setting is preferred by some people.
  • budwzr
    budwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited April 2012
    Froi, ML is an advanced interface that requires knowledge, skill, and a great deal of experience with your camera beforehand.
    You've got to be 100% proficient with the T3i first! It's made by pros and designed for pro-level work.
    I agree with StrikeEm, because ML boots from the SD card and you have to set the camera to boot from the SD card, so if you put the wrong card in the camera, the camera will go into an endless loop trying to boot and that requires you to pull the battery pack immediately or it will get hot and possibly/probably damaged.
    What I do is put the ML software on EVERY SD card I own, AND I watch the camera at boot to make sure it loads. Then you can leave the camera power switch on and just lightly touch the shutter release to bring it on.
    I doubt anyone here uses ML, except me, so your best source of info would be the ML forums.
    I can also add that I use ML all the time, and it has become automatic to me as far as my shooting technique. I shoot all manual, all the time. I become "one" with the focus ring and variable ND filter.
    With ML, I don't have to stop filming to make adjustments, I can do it on the fly, like a pro. Pros keep rolling because the action keeps rolling, and you've got to keep rolling too.
    When you're at a live event or venue, you may not get a second chance !!!!
    I rely on ML to visually tell me my focus in real time, and I just could never shoot as well or easier without my ML HUD (Heads up display).:)
  • Froi
    I kinda know about how it works, just the thing I'd like to know is how do I instal it (what version, what version my camera should be and what not)
    Also did you shoot that video in full HD?
  • budwzr
    edited April 2012
    Also did you shoot that video in full HD?
    No 720, and it's a little soft, I know. The snow was real bright and it gave me trouble.
    AFA firmware version, I only know about 1.1.
  • Froi

No 720, and it's a little soft, I know. The snow was real bright and it gave me trouble.
    AFA firmware version, I only know about 1.1.
    Yah, I was gunna say it doesn't look too crisp... :P
    Yeah I saw the 1.1 but then I checked my camera and it says..." firmware ver. 1.0.2" At the moment, so what happens when I go 1.1
  • budwzr

Yah, I was gunna say it doesn't look too crisp... :P
    Yeah I saw the 1.1 but then I checked my camera and it says..." firmware ver. 1.0.2" At the moment, so what happens when I go 1.1
    I don't know, mine had 1.1 on it already.
  • Froi
    Well maybe someone else may come on and enlighten us upon this matter lol
  • budwzr
    Oh, I forgot to mention, I have my video bitrate cut in half so I can shoot twice as long. That takes away from the quality too.
    Don't judge the camera by my videos, I'm not going for high quality, just eye candy to mix into something else usually.
  • Froi
    Oh, we'll I just got camera for good quality stuff.
    One of my 1 min long video montages for a test is 10gb in size :(
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Froi, I assume you've read the Install Instructions for ML but just in case
    http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install
    When I did this, I needed to upgrade my firmware to 1.1.1
    As with any firmware upgrade on any device, make sure you understand everything that needs to be done and the potential risks involved. If you're comfortable tinkering with your devices and such then read carefully and follow the instructions and it should be an easy installation.
    If you're not comfortable with this then I don't suggest doing it, as others have stated below you can get by perfectly fine without ML.
    I am by no means a Pro user but I have found a few things with ML that I absolutely love. That being said, I have three cards, my two main cards and one that I play around with using ML.
    Good luck with whatever you decide :)
    Happy Shooting ;)
  • budwzr

Oh, we'll I just got camera for good quality stuff.
    One of my 1 min long video montages for a test is 10gb in size :(
    I noticed your stuff is animated pretty good. I liked the part in Charlie when the hands rotated.
    Anyways, just use whatever features you like in ML. Not necessary to use, or learn, everything. Magic Zoom is kind of cool.
  • Froi
    I won't get ML just yet but thanks for all the advice guys, and which part/episode is that budwzr?