Does the MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk work with my computer, and is it a good GPU?

Cinomeister
Cinomeister Posts: 14
edited April 2012 in Post-production techniques
Hi all,
I need to upgrade my PC for HitFilm Ultimate, and am looking to buy the MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GPU. Do any of you know if it it will work with my 305 watt Dell H305N-00 PSU? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW If this card is incompatible, what would be the best card for HitFilm Ultimate on my system?
My system- Intel Pentium D 2.80 GHz CPU
3GB RAM
MSI N8400GS (Nvidia 8400GS) - i want to upgrade this

Comments

• Also, i use Windows XP 32 bit
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    I don't know whether that card is compatible with your system, but we do have a list of recommended cards available here: http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements The cards listed in bold in the Recommended list are going to be the best in terms of performance.
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 478

Hi all,
    I need to upgrade my PC for HitFilm Ultimate, and am looking to buy the MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GPU. Do any of you know if it it will work with my 305 watt Dell H305N-00 PSU? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    BTW If this card is incompatible, what would be the best card for HitFilm Ultimate on my system?
    My system- Intel Pentium D 2.80 GHz CPU
    3GB RAM
    MSI N8400GS (Nvidia 8400GS) - i want to upgrade this
    Your current system doesn't meet the recommended specs for that video card.
    It's listed as requiring at least a 450 watt power supply.
  • Cinomeister
    edited April 2012
    Do you guys know the best card for a 305w PSU, or should i just upgrade the PSU? I also looked at the Nvidia 8800GTX, but again i do not know if it will work with my PSU
  • Would this be a good PSU? or could i get a 500w PSU?
  • Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,531 Staff

Would this be a good PSU? or could i get a 500w PSU?
    Hi,
    The link you have provided doesn't load unfortunately.
    Most modern day graphics card require significantly more power than they did only a few years ago. I think a 500W power supply is the minimum I'd recommend when setting up a new system, but the more the better.
    Not only are graphics card more power hungry these days, they are also much bigger too, so checking the size of a card is just as important as whether or not you have the right PSU to use it.
    You also mention you are using XP 32bit? A 32bit Operating System can only access 3GB of ram, so anything over that it cannot access or use for applications. An upgrade to a 64bit OS would be a good idea too, as well as the latest version of Windows 7.
    Hope this helps a little
    Thanks
    Ady
  • Thanks for the reply, ill check out some more cards
  • Ady

Thanks for the reply, ill check out some more cards
    No problem
    Feel free to post anything you're looking at on the forums & I'll check it out for you.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • Cinomeister
    edited April 2012
    Unfortunately I think it may be hard to get a good enough card :(. my PC case is badly designed, so any reasonable cards won't physically fit in the PC. I may have to wait and buy a new computer :(
    BTW does this computer look good enough for hitfilm? http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/hp/desktop-pc-sku-70973/
  • Ady

Unfortunately I think it may be hard to get a good enough card :(. my PC case is badly designed, so any reasonable cards won't physically fit in the PC. I may have to wait and buy a new computer :(
    BTW does this computer look good enough for hitfilm? http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/hp/desktop-pc-sku-70973/
    Hey,
    Even ones that are well designed don't fit certain cards very well, so don't worry too much.
    The machine is fine for Processor, Memory & Hard Drive, it's just the graphics card that lets it down. But it appears to be integrated so there maybe the opportunity to put a better card within the case rather than what's currently there. But this will largely depend on motherboard & power supply options again though.
    Thanks
    Ady