Where's The Textures?

Hey, I was watching a tute, and Axel opened a texture folder, and there was tons of 'em, but I can't find any. I remember some rocks a couple months ago, but after the upgrade seems like they're gone?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    All the default texture files are stored here:
    C:\ProgramData\FXhome\HitFilm Ultimate (or Standard)\Textures
    Note that the ProgramData folder is a different folder than Program Files, and sometimes the ProgramData folder might be hidden by default, so you might need to show hidden folders to see it.
    Also, note that while the textures included with HitFilm are stored there, I can't guarantee that that is the same folder I opened in the tutorial, as I also have textures which I have created stored in several other locations. :)
  • budwzr
    budwzr Posts: 655
    edited April 2012
    A-ha! But can you send me a zip with all your textures in case it's not in there? :) Hahaha. just kidding. Looks like you have some good custom ones hiding.
    EDIT: Yeah, the free ones are mostly bunk. So as far as sizing goes, 512 is max? and has to be square, right?
  • budwzr
    edited April 2012
    Quick question, I like that trick of building a mass of particles prior to frame two, but isn't there a way to freeze the clip and trim it?
    Vegas uses the concept of a subclip. A subclip is a trimmed regular clip that has a new fixed length. It won't "unroll" anymore.
    Is that why you shifted the time left of zero? And then trimmed the right end? That basically gives you a hard clip with just the part you wanted, right? To get a "subclip"? Is that a workaround?
    What I've been doing with HF is rendering whatever I have, and trimming it, etc. over in Vegas, which works out fine.
  • AxelWilkinson
    edited April 2012
    I might find a spot to offer a .zip file of the textures that I've got hanging around, at some point. Quite a few of them are actually textures I have around from the VisionLab days. As far as size and shape, you can pretty much do whatever. 512 square is usually sufficient to contain the info necessary for a good texture, but you could go larger if need be, and of course you can go smaller. I frequently go smaller. And they don't have to be square; I use tall thin textures for rain or laser bolts, stuff like that.
    I've no idea which tutorial you are referring to, sorry. Can you let me know which one, so I can get some context for what you are discussing. Then I'm sure I can figure out what I was up to, and how to explain it. :)
    I think you are referring to having a bunch of particle already in play when the effect appears on the timeline, rather than having to wait for the number of particles to build up. That is specifically what the Time Shift control is for, yeah, to get a bunch of particle being created before they are actually visible to the camera. I wouldn't call it a work around, the tools are designed specifically to handle that situation. A workaround would be to create the particle effect within an embedded comp, start the particles being created at frame 0, then trim the embedded comp to remove the starting portion, when the number of particle was too low. That sounds basically like the Vegas subclip method you mention, if I understand it correctly. Either way is perfectly acceptable, so use whichever one you are most comfortable with.
  • budwzr
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I get it. To trim it in HF, it has to be part of something trim-able. So what you're doing is more efficient. Nice.
    Hahaha, I notice your custom textures are finely detailed, "whilst" the free ones are entry level, hahaha.
  • AxelWilkinson
    Well, most of the ones I'm using are textures that were free with VisionLab. Its not like we are holding back the good ones, they just weren't used in any of the presets we have made for HitFilm, yet. I still use the included textures pretty frequently. I happen to also have the old ones on hand, so I use them if I need 'em. And if I need something I don't have yet, I make one. I'll see about getting a set of textures out there so you guys can use them, and perhaps building them into the next release of HitFilm.
  • budwzr
    edited April 2012
    I'll see about getting a set of textures out there so you guys can use them, and perhaps building them into the next release of HitFilm.
    Hey, that would be cool.
    I remember when I first bought HF and I wanted to try the particle gen, and the first texture I stumbled upon was a greyscale, and I was disappointed because I thought I had to composite it against a color texture myself.
    I know that sounds stupid, but it's true. So put some colored ones on the top row so the next nooby like me doesn't get traumatized, hahaha.
  • AxelWilkinson
    edited April 2012
    OK, 15 MB or so of spiffy texture files coming at you.
    http://hitfilm.com/files/texturize.zip
    Some of them should prove useful, while others, well, maybe they will, and maybe they won't. but at least you can now have them among your options. There aren't any colored ones in the top row, but there are some in there with color, and the real trick there is understanding the different color settings in the particle system, and the options or using the embedded colors or assigning a color yourself. Have fun with 'em.
  • budwzr
    edited April 2012
    Whoo-hoo!!!
    OK, I got the latest one. Haven't looked yet, but thanks, man!!!
  • AxelWilkinson
    OK, I updated the link (or rather, Rikki updated it for me). Not sure if you downloaded it when I first posted the link, but I forgot to include one texture, thus the update. The missing texture was the Laser_side texture I used in the Hologram tutorial I did a while back, and people had specifically asked about that one, so I wanted to make sure it made it into the .zip.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    Just downloaded, thanks!
  • I made a video using the shockwave, but when I tried to open it again, it said some files had been moved. Where do I relocate these files to to get them back?
  • OK, 15 MB or so of spiffy texture files coming at you.
    http://hitfilm.com/files/texturize.zip
    Some of them should prove useful, while others, well, maybe they will, and maybe they won't. but at least you can now have them among your options. There aren't any colored ones in the top row, but there are some in there with color, and the real trick there is understanding the different color settings in the particle system, and the options or using the embedded colors or assigning a color yourself. Have fun with 'em.

Thanks Axel. I have just realised that I can create my own using .png files.