Full Auto Fire

HecklerHeckler Website User Posts: 50
How do you make the muzzle flashes in Hitfilm look like shooting in burst or full auto mode of your gun?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Which muzzle flashes? It depends a bit where you are starting from. For example, there are a bunch of preset muzzle flashes labeled AX-series that are totally animated already to simulate automatic fire. You can look at the keyframes for any one of them to get an idea of what settings to adjust to get a similar appearance.
    Simply changing the Rate of Fire control will change the percentage of frames on which the effect is actually visible, but I find that to get realistic results is important to change up some other settings as well, to get greater variety in the size and shape of the flashes. So I prefer to manually keyframe the effect on and off and adjust the size of the flash, because I like the results better.
  • HecklerHeckler Website User Posts: 50

Which muzzle flashes? It depends a bit where you are starting from. For example, there are a bunch of preset muzzle flashes labeled AX-series that are totally animated already to simulate automatic fire. You can look at the keyframes for any one of them to get an idea of what settings to adjust to get a similar appearance.
    Simply changing the Rate of Fire control will change the percentage of frames on which the effect is actually visible, but I find that to get realistic results is important to change up some other settings as well, to get greater variety in the size and shape of the flashes. So I prefer to manually keyframe the effect on and off and adjust the size of the flash, because I like the results better.
    Assault Rifle AX series daylight.
    I can't seem to get the right percentage. What's the trick? At certain percentages it looks almost like static and at other percentages it doesn't flash on and off fast enough.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    I believe all of the AX series are keyframed to manually turn on and off, rather than using the Rate of Fire. the pattern of on and off frames is exactly copied from some reference footage of black-firing guns, to get it as accurate as possible, but of course each particular scene might call for a different rate of fire or pattern of flashes. Generally if its looking too static, its because there isn't enough variation on the shape of the flash form one frame to the next. Keyframing some significant variation in the overall size of the flash, and its relative length and height, so that each flash isn't the same shape, will really help to add realism to automatic fire.
    If you want to use the Rate of Fire control, or start from scratch keyframing the effect on and off, there is a non-AX series version of that preset which has no animation built into it, so you can using it as a starting point.