Things you would like to see made into movies

AzulonsAssassin
AzulonsAssassin Website User Posts: 109 Enthusiast
I personally would like to see "The Force Unleashed" and "The Force Unleashed 2" made into movies. It would give George Lucas a chance to make up for that God-awfull new Clone Wars Series...

Comments

• Aculag
    Aculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    The Azulon'sAssassin Story.
  • zeroflame0
    zeroflame0 Website User Posts: 51
    Skyrim definately
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    The entire point of the Elder Scrolls games is that they provide an interactive world to explore. Translating it into a movie would lose that core benefit, leaving it simply as generic, rather uninspired fantasy.
    I don't really understand the point of translating games into films. You take a storytelling medium that has interactivity, then remove the interactivity. Where's the benefit?
    Adaptations of books to films, comics to films, etc, makes a kind of sense because you're directly changing and adding to them. Doesn't mean the film version is better or inherently superior, but at least you're taking a prose form or a still image illustrated form and changing into a moving picture form.
    Games to movies don't have that. All you're doing, really, is regressing it in terms of sophistication. Particularly because a lot of games have very weak stories, and it's specifically the interactivity that makes it special.
    There might be some benefit to movies set in the game worlds but entirely divorced from the actual games, I suppose. You could tell a great movie in the Mass Effect universe, for example, as long as you didn't try to actually make a movie version of the Mass Effect story, and as long as Sheperd didn't appear in it.
  • NuttyBanana
    NuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    With Blizzard's FMV creators behind it, I'd certainly be interested in a WoW animated film.
  • AzulonsAssassin
    I do see Simon's point. But certain games, likt TFU have a set story line, which plays out like a movie anyway.
  • SimonKJones
    Yes, true, Azulon. Games with linear storytelling are essentially movies with interactive stuff thrown in. But in most cases it's the combination of the two that makes it into something worth experiencing: most games stories are pretty derivative or poor. Take away the interactivity and that becomes very obvious indeed.
    In fact, quite often the games with good stories construct them specifically around the interactivity. That, for me, is what makes a good game story, because it embraces the specifics of the medium. Games with linear stories that simply tell them through non-interactive cut scenes are kinda missing the point.
  • LinkedPictures
    LinkedPictures Website User Posts: 150
    DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION MOVIE!!! ME GUSTA
  • SimonKJones
  • LinkedPictures
    LinkedPictures Website User Posts: 150
    lol, but what I meant is a full-length hollywood blockbuster that follows the story of the game. Basically a film of the game, not inspired by it. Although, your one is pretty dang awesome. ;)
  • jawajohnny
    jawajohnny Website User Posts: 143
    edited March 2012
    Although they're not exactly the most "original" books by any means, I'd love to see Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle made into proper films. They've already tried once... but the result was an atrocious, god-awful adaptation of the first book, Eragon, which happens to be the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. They took what was an amazingly rich, dark and detailed fantasy world and narrative with Lord of the Rings-style epic potential, and turned it into (I quote from the back of the DVD) "An inspiring family movie about believing in yourself." Yep.
    They got literally everything about the movie wrong. Casting, production design, and especially the writing. I'm telling you... it was like an eight-year-old wrote the movie. One of the biggest mistakes of the film was casting John Malkovich as King Galbatorix (a character who is only heard about... but not seen through the first three books of the Cycle), and using him as a "bad guy giving orders" type of guy, similar to how Donald Sutherland is used to excellent effect in The Hunger Games. Only... they had him walking around saying things like this: "When the Varden learn that the legend is real, they will be encouraged to challenge me. And I am not interested in being challenged." Or this one, after one of his dragon eggs has been stolen (but before we know it's actually a dragon egg that's been stolen): "I suffer without my stone. Do not prolong my suffering.".
    The way I see it, Eragon could have been a Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones type of epic fantasy film series, full of absolutely gorgeous vistas and sets, and an extremely rich mythology. Yes, it would be a bit derivative (it's really just a combination of the Star Wars Original Trilogy story set on Middle Earth)... but every page that I read just screamed of epic and cinematic potential. I'd love to see them try to adapt Eragon again, but this time with the right writer and actors. Cast an unknown as Eragon, Summer Glau as Arya the elf, Liam Neeson as Brom, and the likes of Julianne Moore, Chris Hemsworth, Idris Elba, Robert Carlyle (who was perfect in his role the first time around), and Chloe Grace Moretz in the supporting roles. Then get Kenneth Branagh to direct a screenplay written by the author, Christopher Paolini. Based on his work on Thor (and his Shakespeare adaptations) Branagh is such an obvious choice to direct such material... and now that Paolini has finished writing the novels, I'm sure he'd be very eager to try his hand at scripting the films (he originally envisioned the books as movies, but didn't have the money to make them).
    I mean... how can you go wrong with dragons, magic, and massive battles. A smart studio would have the next Lord of the Rings on their hands, if they follow my advice. :P
  • AzulonsAssassin
    Has anyone else ever read "The Rise and Fall od Darth Vader?". It tells the story from when he was three, to a bit after he dies. I think I'd like to see that made as a movie. Or maybe a movie based off of the Boba Fett series of books.
  • DX6channel
    DX6channel Website User Posts: 72
    Inheritance Cycle
    Halo
    Assassin's Creed
    Pilgrims Progress
  • AzulonsAssassin
  • Aculag
    edited March 2012
    Seriously, why video games? The whole point of making a story into a game is for it to be played. I can't imagine watching a movie based on Halo, and why would anyone want to? If you've played the games, you know the story, and it's more personal to you, because you made the character do things instead of just watching them do it. You take an 8-10 hour story and compress it into 2 hours... for what reason? A Halo movie would be so, so dull and derivative it isn't even funny. Just play the game again.
    But anyway, no video game movie has ever been good. Someone who says they'd like to see a movie based on a video game is basically saying they want to see a bad movie, and there are too many of those as is.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have movies turned into Cinematic Games in the style of Heavy Rain. Not all movies, of course. Just some.
    Heavy Rain was, for me, the perfect balance between game and movie. I played it through over the course of 3 hot summer days with the same 3 friends watching me play every day. They were every bit as engaged as I was.
    If I could play a movie like Seven or The Matrix as a cinematic video game.... Me Gusta.
  • SimonKJones
    Yes, I'd be far more interested to see things being adapted into game form, rather than the other way around. A lot of stories would benefit from added interactivity. But I can't think of a single game that would benefit from having that interactivity removed.
    DE:HR, for example, is a game that lives and breathes on consequence and choice.
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    I'd like to see my brain on film... weird things go through there, i think it would be interesting to watch.
    Earlier today I was thinking David Edding's Belgariad would make an interesting film. I was a big fan of those books when I was a kid.
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast

Has anyone else ever read "The Rise and Fall od Darth Vader?". It tells the story from when he was three, to a bit after he dies. I think I'd like to see that made as a movie. Or maybe a movie based off of the Boba Fett series of books.
    If you're going the Star Wars route, I would rather see "Shadows of the Empire" or Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy as a movies.
  • KahvehRobinett
    KahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    edited March 2012
    The Inheritance cycle done properly could be one of the greatest movie series I could imagine. Warner bro's should do it they usually know how to handle epics the right way. Chris Hemsworth as Roran would be amazing.
    I third jawajohnny.
  • jawajohnny
    jawajohnny Website User Posts: 143
    Chris Hemsworth as Roran would be amazing.
    Yep... when I mentioned Chris Hemsworth I was picturing him as Roran. That would be epic.
  • KahvehRobinett
    KahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    I Always envisioned Ben Barnes as Eragon, but that just me. By the way I'm a die hard fan of the Inheritance cycle and have red them all at least 4 times and its good to know I'm not the only one who thinks they would make EPIC movies.
  • AzulonsAssassin
    I'm actually not sure if I would go see a Grand Admiral Thrawn movie. I have one of the books, but it just doesn't have that same Star Wars feel. But has anyone read those "Shadow Children" books? Those would make excellent movies.
  • Keegan
    Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw from The Escapist put out an article earlier this year on why movie adaptations of games are doomed to fail. He presents some pretty interesting ideas and it's worth a read if you are big into games and movies, like I am.
    Check it out here.
  • Aculag
    They should make a Zero Punctuation movie.
  • SimonKJones

I'm actually not sure if I would go see a Grand Admiral Thrawn movie. I have one of the books, but it just doesn't have that same Star Wars feel.
    I've not read Zahn's Thrawn trilogy since I was about 12, which was...er...20 years ago.
    *insert moment of existential panic*
    *recover*
    I recall them being VERY 'Star Warsy', perfectly carrying on from the original trilogy. In fact, they always felt far more Star Warsy than the prequel films. I find myself so tragically disinterested in Star Wars now, post-prequels, but a Thrawn movie adaptation could quite easily get me excited again.
    Back to the topic at hand - I think when you shift something from one medium to another, whether it's book to movie, movie to game, comic to movie, etc, you want to always be adding something extra to the formula.
    Hence, if you turn a book into a movie you're adding the visual element. Doesn't mean it's inherently better, but it does mean it's doing something new with the material. Similarly, at least in theory, you could turn a movie into a book and get something out of it - the prose would give more insight into the characters' heads (the fact novelisations are usually godawful is a separate issue).
    Therefore you could turn a movie into a game and get something out of it: interactivity. But I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of turning a game into a movie. The game already has all the visual and audio spectacle. All you're actually doing is losing a dimension - interactivity.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    Well, if you suck at gaming (like me), then by turning the game into a movie you can finally see what happens at the end. Also, I don't have much trouble enjoying watching someone else play a video game, if they are good at it, which involves no interaction on my part. It essentially is a movie at that point, for me, although it will still never be the exact same movie twice. And its far less frustrating than trying to play the game myself and die repeatedly without ever accomplishing anything.
    All that being said, it still remains that no one has ever created a good movie based on a video game. However, the idea of such a translation makes some sense to me, certainly much more than trying to translate a board game to a film hmbattleshiphm.
  • Keegan
    Axel, this is why we have God Mode. I was a wee boy when Half-Life came out and it was way too hard for me. With a few cheats here and there I was able to beat the game and have a blast doing so. :)
  • Prospero
    Prospero Website User Posts: 127
    The correct version of the movie Jumper. The director and script writer thrashed the soryline of the novel so bad I couldn't watch the film.
  • guitar74
    guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
    I would like to see my idea about Star Trek Borg book that I came up with
    There is another movie idea I came up with in the process of writing it out, Other than that, A Star Wars movie that picks up after Jedi (Lucas admited to having a triology locked up that takes place after Jedi),
    Halo Maybe??
    Another matrix to make up for the last one
    Sequel to cloverfield
    Human Rev. with a slight different story
    Batman Ark Aslym
    A Star Trek Voyager movie
  • AzulonsAssassin
    I feel like Pirates of the Caribbean should have one last movie.