How do I put the effect behind the video media

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and to the software as well. My project that has an object (effect) moving through the sky. The video has tree limbs in it,what do I need to do to make the effect move behind the tree limbs instead of in front. Still learning, thanks

Comments

• XDestructionXDestruction Website User Posts: 21
    If these pieces of media are in 3d then you need to move the effect backwards in the virtual space.
    If the media is 2d then you should drag the effect down on the timeline as the order affects what pieces of media are infront of and behind eachother
  • LightspeedLightspeed Website User Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try.
    The 2D I understand but the composite effect is in 3D and I have no clue how to do it.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Ah, it sounds like you need to do some masking.
    Thanks Simon for your response,masking out the tree limbs will take away from the project. I'll try to figure it out, still open to suggestions. Thanks again.
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    Do it "Alfred Hitchcock" style.
    Duplicate the track, mask everything non-limb, then stick the FX between the original and dupe tracks. Like a sandwich.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited March 2012
    How do you mean it will take away from your project? the only effect it will have, if done right, is that your effect will appear to be behind the tree limbs.
    Rather than trying to draw masks along the edge of each brach, it might be easier to try a technique similar to a sky replacement:
    Duplicate the background layer. Add a Levels effect, and bring the end points both in toward the middle, until the sky is white and the limbs are black. Your goal is just to create a black and white image, where the white parts are the areas where you can see through the limbs. Then, you can use a Set Matte effect on your moving object, using the luminance of the black and white layer you just created. Then you can turn off the visibility of the black and white layer, and you should be good to go.
    Sorry I misunderstood the definition of masking, which I thought it was to take out specific areas out of the video entirely. As I stated at the begining of my post "I was new to the software". This will be inevitably be my last post, do you know the definition of the word "Arrogance" Axel. Thanks for time, I'll figure it out.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    I do know the meaning of the word, and I apologize if I came across that way, it was not my intention. Your understanding of masking is correct; to make the effect appear behind the tree limbs, you have to remove all the areas of your footage other than the limbs, or mask those areas out. My question, which apparently came across as arrogant, was completely sincere, I don't understand what you meant when you said it would take away from your project.
    I'm here to help, and I completely understand what its like to be brand new to software, trying to wrap your head around it; I've been there before myself; we all have. And I'm always happy to help newcomers out. However, understanding the question at hand is critical to providing useful suggestions or instructions, and that sometimes requires that I ask additional questions to get a clear idea of how I can be of further assistance.
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    I misunderstood the definition of masking, which I thought it was to take out specific areas out of the video entirely.
    That IS what it means. You didn't misunderstand. Three people said the same thing, in different ways, but you were unable to grasp the concept. And then you say someone else is arrogant? Hahaha. That's rich.:)
    Well, to be fair, masking can be a tricky subject when you are starting out, especially with a foreground as complex as tree branches. Depending on the exact branches involved, it could be a tricky masking job indeed, involving multiple masks and layers, and its not always easy to know where to start on a project like that, when you are still coming to grips with the software and the available tools. Hopefully Lightspeed sticks around, as with a bit more info about his specific project, we should be able to get him more detailed, step-by-step instructions that will help him get the results he is after.
    Thanks for the response Gents - Axel, my response to your post was born purely out of frustration with the software and I sincerely appologize for it. I realize now that you were indeed trying help. I look forward to be a contributing member of this forum in the future. Thanks again. BUDWRZ - Attacking me does nothing for our friendship, I'm disappointed.
    I would love to have an intellectual dual with you but for the life of me I cannot bring myself to shoot an UNARMED man.
    Have a good life.
    No worries, man. Just let us know how else we can be of help, or what we could explain further to help get you started.
  • BiqBiq Website User Posts: 159
    And if we are voting, I'd like to say that I too am new to the software, and I have found Axel very patient and friendly - hopefully you can keep that up Axel when Hitfilm takes of and millions pour into the forums :)
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Most confusing accusation of arrogance ever. How very strange.
  • GrisbyGrisby Website User Posts: 299 Just Starting Out

Thanks for the response Gents - Axel, my response to your post was born purely out of frustration with the software and I sincerely appologize for it. I realize now that you were indeed trying help. I look forward to be a contributing member of this forum in the future. Thanks again. BUDWRZ - Attacking me does nothing for our friendship, I'm disappointed.
    I would love to have an intellectual dual with you but for the life of me I cannot bring myself to shoot an UNARMED man.
    Have a good life.
    Therefor i would like to have an UNLIKE-Button... but Lightspeed, you are right... IF someone knows, what Arrogance is, then it's you... definitely.
  • GrisbyGrisby Website User Posts: 299 Just Starting Out

No worries, man. Just let us know how else we can be of help, or what we could explain further to help get you started.
    I think he needs more some Doc, than some Support. ;-)