Greenscreen Purchase Tip

i went to walmarts and bought florecent green posterboard.i taped it to my basement wall.i also purchaesd green florecent duckt tape.then i went to ace hardware and told them what i was doing.the guy asked what kind of lighting do you want.i had no idea.i just told him,i need light thats like in the store.he sold me a 75 watt soft florecent light bulb.he also solde me like a lamp coned shape head that clips to the roof of my basement.well for someone not knowing hardly anything about green screens it worked out so good you would think i paid a lot of money on this i might have 80 dollars in to this......hope this helps someone

Comments

• SketchWorkSketchWork Website User Posts: 127
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for sharing. I've just renamed your topic so it has a different name from your last one to make it easier for others to tell the difference.
  • TGamelTGamel Website User Posts: 81

i went to walmarts and bought florecent green posterboard.i taped it to my basement wall.i also purchaesd green florecent duckt tape.then i went to ace hardware and told them what i was doing.the guy asked what kind of lighting do you want.i had no idea.i just told him,i need light thats like in the store.he sold me a 75 watt soft florecent light bulb.he also solde me like a lamp coned shape head that clips to the roof of my basement.well for someone not knowing hardly anything about green screens it worked out so good you would think i paid a lot of money on this i might have 80 dollars in to this......hope this helps someone
    Yes, you can get by with inexpensive lighting for your green screen and still get great results. Although I have an 10x16 (i think) green screen I purchased from www.tubetape.net a few years back for $40.00. I use four clamp lights two on each side of the green screen and one hair light. I use standard 60w household bulbs. Works like a charm. I attach the clamp lights to two homemade light stands using the 'stick in a can' method DIY Stick In a Can Light Stand. My total studio setup is less than $100, which includes the PVC stand I made to hold the green screen.
    5 clamp lights ($40.00 total) - $8.00 each at Walmart.
    5 60w light bulbs ($2.00 total) - $1.00 per package of 4 bulbs.
    I use this simple setup on all my cooking videos as I green screen the brick wall behind me in which I place various logos and information necessary for the video. You do not have to spend a fortune to make your videos look good, you just have to work smart.
    Todd
  • MasterWolfMasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    edited April 2012
    My big green screen is 24 feet by 14 feet. Yes I know, it is insanely huge. I got a really good deal on it. I had actually ordered a smaller one but the company I ordered it from sold out of the size I had ordered and they called me and offered to upgrade it to a larger size at no extra cost. I said hey that sounds great. And then it arrived and I realized just how huge this thing is. It works great... kinda... if you manage to get it set up. The thing is impossible to set up on indoor locations due to its size, and on outdoor locations... well. I live in Michigan, right on the shore of Lake Michigan. We get a lot of high winds. Setting up that massive green screen, outdoors on a windy day. Do the words impromptu hang glider mean anything? So 9 times out of 10 I use the poster board technique. With modern digital editing, chroma keying is far more forgiving than it used to be.
    Also remember you can key out any color, it doesn't have to be blue or green. I tend to shoot a lot of big green bug eyed aliens, lizards and dinosaurs, so green isn't always the best choice for me to use. I get a lot of ribbing from some of the other indy film makers in the area when they see my hot pink screens. When you are keying out a color you want a color that is as far from the color of your subject as you can get. I find hot pink is as far from Iguana Green as I can get and has been working very well for all my green subject matter. I have to admit though, the big pink screens look goofy.
  • BobbyLinBobbyLin Website User Posts: 1

Thanks for sharing your DIY green screen experience. I've noticed that inexpensive clamp lights ($10-$15 each) work well for lighting, too. And like you mentioned, basically any large green platform works as a green screen, just as long as the color is the same and there are no wrinkles.

Having the right materials is only half the battle, though. In order to have a successful DIY Green Screen Setup, make sure you take all of the necessary precautions. The article I linked to goes more in depth, but the basic rules of green screen setup are minimizing shadows, lighting evenly, and having the right lighting setup.