greenscreen

can you use a green screen with this software.i use one now and use sony vegas 8 which sucks for editing...im wanting to buy this if i can do everything im doing with sony vegas 8.the quality looks great with this software too....so if anyone knows if
i can use greenscreen would appreciate:)

Comments

• schizophrenickenschizophrenicken Website User Posts: 20
    can you use greenscreen with this software?........right now im using sony vegas 8.if i can do what i can with sony vegas 8 this would be well worth the money because editing in sony vegas 8 sucks.the quality looks good with this software too.im looking to buy the standard hitflim............would the standardedition work like sony vegas 8?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    HitFilm and Vegas target different disciplines, to a large extent. While Vegas is specifically a video editing program, and is an excellent one, Hitfilm focuses on compositing and creating effects, although it does have some limited editing abilities as well. You can absolutely use greenscreen with Hitfilm, in either the Standard or Ultimate versions. I'd recommend that you download the free, fully functioning demo of HitFilm and try it out, to see if it meets your needs and evaluate it properly. Then you can make an educated decision as to whether its the right software for you.
    http://hitfilm.com/demo
    Considering Vegas is one of the most acclaimed and popular video editing programs available, it might help if you could expound on why you consider it to 'suck.' Then we would know what topics to address when providing any further information.
    Ive already downloaded it.i will use it tomorrow and more and likly buy it.a friend off youtube told me about it because i was complaining about sony vegas 8.i want to do special effects for comedy.im not doing anything special.im sure it will be more than enough for what i want,thanks:)..........if you get a chance checkout my comedy channel schizophrenicken on youtube:)..........thank you:)
    the reason i do not like sony vegas 8 is that i had to sit and play with the video trying to get the peice of video split and join the new together.well after i joined them together the part i joined together still had the part i didnt want in.it showed up for a second.but viewing a video and seeing a flash of a clip thats not supposed to be there.pissed me off.so i put a lot of time doing 47 senconds of video fighting sony vegas 8.maybe for what im using it for,maybe its not made for what im doing...my comedy channel is schizophrenicken on youtube..take a look and you can see the crap quality it is.i used poor video to begin with,but it could be better i think.so thats where hitfilm comes in.just looking at some of the special effects it has.i showed my father inlaw and he's like,BUY IT! lol thanks for listening
    :)
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    Was that Pro 8, or Studio?
    Pro did not get proper AVC support until version 9.
    well,im going with hitfilm.i think just from playing a little with it,it has the ease of wondows moviemaker and the power of sony vegas,maybe.anyway it looks good and thats all i care about.150.00 dollars is very cheap for what it does:)
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    You should get the Ultimate version. More bang for buck. ;)
  • Eflat ProductionsEflat Productions Website User Posts: 163
    Dude,
    I have SVP11, and for keying it definitely sucks. HitFilm though is the perfect compliment to SVP.

The clip above, I used SVP11, for editing. Then I rendered it uncompressed avi file. All the audio editing, I did in SVP11. All the keying, and effects I did in HitFilm Ultimate, then I exported it for rendering, as an mp4 file.

I am reworking this one, but this is an example of what I have learned so far. This is a virtual set, that I am using, I am really in the living room of my one bedroom apartment. Again I used SVP11, to tweaked the original footage, and then rendered it so that it could be used, in HitFilm.
    Hope this helps.
  • ccliffyccliffy Website User Posts: 36 Just Starting Out
    Sony Vegas is very good editor but I wouldnt say its super easy to use for a newbie
    quick tips:
    arrow keys to advance one frame at a time
    'S' to split - as in key on keyboard
    to join two clips - select both as you would in any program . rt click > Group or press 'G'

Dude,
    I have SVP11, and for keying it definitely sucks. HitFilm though is the perfect compliment to SVP.

The clip above, I used SVP11, for editing. Then I rendered it uncompressed avi file. All the audio editing, I did in SVP11. All the keying, and effects I did in HitFilm Ultimate, then I exported it for rendering, as an mp4 file.

I am reworking this one, but this is an example of what I have learned so far. This is a virtual set, that I am using, I am really in the living room of my one bedroom apartment. Again I used SVP11, to tweaked the original footage, and then rendered it so that it could be used, in HitFilm.
    Hope this helps.
  • TGamelTGamel Website User Posts: 81

the reason i do not like sony vegas 8 is that i had to sit and play with the video trying to get the peice of video split and join the new together.well after i joined them together the part i joined together still had the part i didnt want in.it showed up for a second.but viewing a video and seeing a flash of a clip thats not supposed to be there.pissed me off.so i put a lot of time doing 47 senconds of video fighting sony vegas 8.maybe for what im using it for,maybe its not made for what im doing...my comedy channel is schizophrenicken on youtube..take a look and you can see the crap quality it is.i used poor video to begin with,but it could be better i think.so thats where hitfilm comes in.just looking at some of the special effects it has.i showed my father inlaw and he's like,BUY IT! lol thanks for listening
    :)
    I never used Vegas 8, but from what you described in your post, it appears that when you split or cut your clip in the timeline it looks like you split it at the right place, but you were actually one frame off. To make sure you get a cut at the right place you need to zoom in on the timeline until you can move frame by frame and then make your cut. It may look like you are cutting your video in the right place on the timeline, but if you are not zoomed in close where you can see each individual frame you can get inaccurate cuts.
    In some cases this is not really evident until you start color correcting, then 'The flash' or extra frame you are seeing really stands out. This is not specific to Sony Vegas, but can and will happen in any editor. I had this happen in Premiere Pro 5.0, I thought I had cut the segment in the right spot but when adjusting tonality I noticed the flash. It was not until I zoomed in on the timeline until I could shuttle frame by frame that I saw my mistake.
    Todd