Reflector Board VS Video Light

LinkedPictures
LinkedPictures Website User Posts: 150
Which one d'you think I should use?
My options:
1. Make a DIY reflector board.
2. Get one like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/160-LED-D400-D200-Olympus-Panasnic-Camcorders/dp/B003LAB34I/ref=pd_cp_ce_0
Or perhaps both?
Any constructive answers would be appreciated.

Comments

• budwzr
    budwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    Considering a reflector can be had for like $3 by picking up a sheet of white foamcore at an office supply store, I'd spec the money on a light. Then you can pick up a reflector any time, and you'll have both. A reflector only works when there is light there to begin with, so its not really a substitue for a light (though it can substitute for a secondary light).
  • LinkedPictures

This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZYJIHM/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
    Study it carefully, because I highly recommend it.
    1) It can be tripod mounted, handgrip mounted, hotshoe mounted.
    2) It can use external power or battery.
    3) It has an incandescent filter built in, as well as spot and flood.
    4) It's 1200 lux and dimmable.
    5) It uses high intensity ultra LEDS instead of the cheaper ones.
    The one you are looking at does not give the LUX rating because it is not bright enough for serious work.
    Ok, that looks awesome, apart from the fact that it's currently unavailable. Do you know where else I can get one?

Considering a reflector can be had for like $3 by picking up a sheet of white foamcore at an office supply store, I'd spec the money on a light. Then you can pick up a reflector any time, and you'll have both. A reflector only works when there is light there to begin with, so its not really a substitue for a light (though it can substitute for a secondary light).
    Ah, yes of course. Thanks, I'll take that into account. Forgot about the whole having to have light to begin with. Ok cool thanks.
  • budwzr
    edited March 2012
    Maybe send an e-mail to that RedStar Mall company and see if they can get you one. They're in Anaheim.
    If not, I can't find one. I bought mine for $129 during a Xmas sale. I should have got two, but I didn't know how good they were at the time.
    I don't know why they're not more popular and available.
  • LinkedPictures
    edited March 2012

Maybe send an e-mail to that RedStar Mall company and see if they can get you one. They're in Anaheim.
    If not, I can't find one. I bought mine for $129 during a Xmas sale. I should have got two, but I didn't know how good they were at the time.
    I don't know why they're not more popular and available.
    Oh, that's an idea. I guess I might do that.
    Also, did you notice that I used the multiqoute function?! I'm so proud of myself!
    BTW, I had an argument with someone and they got really angry at me for not using it. That really ruined my day.
    Anyway, what about this one?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CN-160-Camera-Video-light-Canon/dp/B004TJ6JH6/ref=pd_cp_ce_0
    It says, 'The light intensity can be changed to offer professional effects'
    I hope this would be good, as I am on a budget.
  • budwzr
    edited March 2012
    The specs say 900 lux, so it's going to be useful, especially at night. The price is definitely good. I say give it a try.
    The $3 foam board mentioned above can be had for $1 at the 99-cent store.:) By the way, those foam boards are great for throwing soft natural light.
  • LinkedPictures
    ok thanks cool. Glad I don't have to spend a fortune on a light (Well, not really a fortune, but you get the point) And, as I live in England ( :)) )
    I guess that will be something stupid like 77 pence but anyway, thanks for your help. :P