Close up and blur

moonwalkermoonwalker Website User Posts: 116
Well, I imported a clip on the timeline, the image was clean, I tried to create a close up effect on my face,used the zoom on the right of the screen but now it's blur, I also tried by increasing the scale, but the image is not clean anymore...so how to zoom and make a close up and keep a great quality??? please does anyone can help me???
Thank you

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff
    As a rule, you can't zoom in on video much. You very quickly lose detail because it doesn't have enough resolution to support the increase in scale. Instead, shoot a new shot with the camera closer to your face.
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    There's a technique called "Upsampling", where what you do is basically requantize the pixel density.
    This will help a little, but as Axel says, you cannot zoom(crop) without loss. When you "zoom" a frame, actually you are requantizing too, but in the direction of loss.
    So what you can do, is isolate the footage and render it out to a higher pixel resolution using the same aspect ration. Then bring it back to the timeline that has the "working" resolution. i.e. 720p, etc.
    If that doesn't work, then just do your zoom in the higher resolution and render at that higher resolution, then import it to the normal project settings.
    I don't know if HF is "Resolution Independent" or not. Whether it automatically upsamples, that is. I think I read somewhere that HF max rez is 2K, which is the industry film standard, but not really enough to upsample.
    So you might need your outside NLE. Vegas is 4K(good thing).
  • moonwalkermoonwalker Website User Posts: 116
    Ok, thank you, I just asked cause I thought I made the wrong thing as I am new with hitfilm, but now I understand how to do..
    thanks again
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    Cool, and the flip side of shooting close with a camera, is you have no way to back out of the frame. Hahaha.
    That's why you see these three "establishing" shots used all the time, so you don't paint yourself in a corner. You can always fast cut your way in or out.
    So after you film the close shot, you won't need to zoom in, you can cut in. Zooming is the mark of a putz, unless you're Alfred Hitchcock or making a horror movie.
    Caveat Emptor: I'm not a pro, so this is AFAIK.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2012
    Along the lines as stated above, I have used a similar but different technique. I've had projects where I needed to do this and what I did was shoot in 1080, reframe my shots and pans and then render the video in 720.