Mist effect

moonwalkermoonwalker Website User Posts: 116
Hi,just wanted to know how to create a fog patch (mist) with hitfilm, I tried to use smoke effect but it moves a lot when I reduce the speed the smoke becomes like snow flakes, or maybe with textures???
,I join the video you can see it's from 1.23sec to 1.38sec
And how to create steam jet (or smoke) with a sewer exactly as in the video, it's from 2.58sec to 3.05sec
And if someone knows how to create a spotlight cause I tried with a white mask but it doesn't work....it's from 0.23 to 0.25sec thank you have a nice day

Comments

• NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2012
    I like "fluffy cloud" for creating mist.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Yeah, a cloud is a good place to start, else you can just build up a particle effect that uses misty textures and relatively little movement. That's basically what the cloud presets are though. A cubic or spherical emitter populated with very slow moving wispy textures.
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    Spotlights are usually created with a bump map on a duplicate, then composited as needed.
  • moonwalkermoonwalker Website User Posts: 116
    OK I understood for the mist, thank you.. now for the spotlight, I thought it could be work with the 3D light stream used in the hitfilm video for iceman...But I don't fint it in the panel...Cause I tried to create a white mask (ellypse) on the ground and draw a mask reducind opacity but when I add the subject the subject is white too...hidden behind the mask...
    Well I learn everyday, thanks to you...
    nice day to you
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Is the subject greenscreen? If so, then place the mask behind them. If not, then you'll have to use a mask to draw the shape of the light around them. Also, what blend mode did you use for the white plane that you created the spotlight out of? You should be using Screen or Add, and then set the color to a light grey, rather than pure white, so that it isn't solid. You can adjust the color afterward until you get the specific look you are after.
    edited March 2012
    What Axel is saying is make a mask like this:
    Put a loose garbage mask around what you want, feather it in, set it to B/W, adjust the contrast so it's greyscale, and composite as an add or overlay, or whatever looks best. Play around with it.
    The image on the left is the working mask extracted from the video. You can just use a still for now, until you get the hang of it.
    [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BJh2aO-nlrU/T2yxRG6pEpI/AAAAAAAABFA/1thu6cwnHfI/s1024/MJ%20Spot%20Example.jpg[/img]

Is the subject greenscreen? If so, then place the mask behind them. If not, then you'll have to use a mask to draw the shape of the light around them. Also, what blend mode did you use for the white plane that you created the spotlight out of? You should be using Screen or Add, and then set the color to a light grey, rather than pure white, so that it isn't solid. You can adjust the color afterward until you get the specific look you are after.
    Yes Axel, the subject is greenscreen, I tried to place the mask behind too,in that case, we can see that the subject has been added and it doesn't look natural, I used Add for blend, I draw a white mask, an ellypse on the ground and draw the shape, reduced opacity, but it's not good...Gonna try with grey, and if I save the subject greenscreen with the background, To draw a mask around the subject after as you say, do I have to create a new plane or can I click to draw a mask directly on the composite??? I would like that it's like a bright light and maybe I could increase the brightness...Thanks again

What Axel is saying is make a mask like this:
    Put a loose garbage mask around what you want, feather it in, set it to B/W, adjust the contrast so it's greyscale, and composite as an add or overlay, or whatever looks best. Play around with it.
    The image on the left is the working mask extracted from the video. You can just use a still for now, until you get the hang of it.
    [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BJh2aO-nlrU/T2yxRG6pEpI/AAAAAAAABFA/1thu6cwnHfI/s1024/MJ%20Spot%20Example.jpg[/img]
    Ok, So if I do that I would have to add a mask on the floor, right??? gonna try... and you say click image to open in a new tab?? I can't click on image...Thank you very much

Yeah, a cloud is a good place to start, else you can just build up a particle effect that uses misty textures and relatively little movement. That's basically what the cloud presets are though. A cubic or spherical emitter populated with very slow moving wispy textures.
    Axel, I tried to add Fluffy cloud 3D on my background,and change the color; so it doesn't move, I tried to increase the speed in the control panel but when I increase the speed the cloud disappears completely.. I don't know how to add a slow movement...there are so many things in control...I am lost thanks for your help
    Of course, the bottom line here is that a spotlight effect should be done with a spotlight. A real light, on set, while filming the actor. To get comparable results in post is going to be much more difficult, much more time consuming, and require much more skill than filming with a practical light. But, that's not to say it can't be done.
    If you want to get the cloudy look in the beam of light, from the fog in your MJ clip, then you could render clouds onto the plane you are using to create the beam, to get some variation in the intensity of the effect. Then, use a mask to draw the shape of the beam, using a decent amount of feather to soften the edges. Experiment with different blend modes to get the appearance you are after; I'm guessing Overlay or Soft Light might work well. Then, use a different plane to create the spots at each end of the beam, which are significantly brighter. The color of the plane should match the color of the light you are creating. So, if you want a white, neutral light, then use a white or light grey plane. If you want a bluish light, then tint the plane somewhat blue. Use a similar amount of feather on these masks, to soften the edges, and place them behind the layer with your actor.
    So, you have several layers in this order:
    Plane to create beam
    Actor
    Plane to create spots
    Background
    You could also use a Fluffy cloud or similar effect in front of the actor, to create the fog if you didn't have practical fog on set. Then the beam of light will illuminate the fog as well.
    Thank you Axel, so spots are light flares? cause In another topic I said I tried to add a new light to create shadow as in the tutorial but I put my layer in 3D and click, add a new light but I can't see the light...don't know why...I need to create a shadow on the floor moving with the actor...so if you talk about new light to create spots, I don't know how to do,
    so I have layers and composites in that order but the actor is greenscreen so I have to remove green before or after creating a plane for the beam??
    gonna try and I'll tell you Axel, you are so patient with me..
    Thank you again ,have a nice day
    I didn't talk about using a light or light flares, at all.
    I don't think using an actual Light object in HitFilm is going to work the best in your case, since you are trying to light a plane from above the top edge, which is why I didn't recommend using a Light to create the effect. Even so, you could use a light to create the shadow and the circle on the floor. In order to get A light to do that, though, you need to convert the floor plane and the layer containing your actor to 3D, add the Light above and slightly in front of your actor, and make sure the floor plane is set to receive shadows, and the actor layer is set to cast shadows.
    You might consider setting this project aside for a bit and spending some time just working through the Getting Started tutorials for HitFilm, trying some more basic effects and tasks, and getting more familiar with the program. The stuff you are trying to do here isn't super advanced, but it will prove much easier to understand and achieve once you have a better foundation of knowledge about how the software works.
    Ok Axel, I understand what you are telling me...I watch tutorials and take notes of what I see and understand but as I am french I don't understand all the explanations when talking in the video..I know I need to improve my work to be familiar with hitfilm, but I have to present the video in 4 weeks, that's why I ask you so many things...I apologize, please, and I thank you so much for your help,thanks to you I created 10 effects....
    Wanted to tell you also that I found the solution to correct the color of the subject, I did what you told me with blue, and to correct the skin color, so I saved the file and then I imported it on the timeline again, and I added the hard cool effect, so now I have a great great quality of image like in movies!!!!
    I am so happy!!!
    Thank you
    Yeah, I totally understand how deadlines can make things difficult, especially when you aren't 100% certain how to achieve what you need to do. And of course, we are always here to help. :) Glad to hear you are making progress though.
    edited March 2012
    @moon Yeah, you're not the only one reading this and learning different ideas.
    I like that cloud mixing idea to create an illusion of a fog machine. The reason those theatrical spots cast a beam is because of a fog machine, not so much the intensity of the beam.
    Your MJ clip has LOTS of fog going on, some visible, and some for ambience. That fog plays a huge role in the lighting FX.
    I know you don't have time right now, but what helped me a lot to grasp this stuff is to break down each effect into it's "foundational parts", and visualize it as the sum of those parts.
    The magician's tricks are usually very simple, but are performed in a way that distracts the mind's eye to look in a complicated direction, and this creates the illusion.
    Every time I think I have a firm grasp on this stuff, somebody comes along and enlightens me, and it can come from anyone, pro or novice. It's amazing. You go back and forth from student to teacher all the time. Hahaha. Enjoy!