A few changes perhaps?

AzulonsAssassinAzulonsAssassin Website User Posts: 109 Enthusiast
Hey everyone. I'm back! My computer's been going nuts (crashed harddrive.) So, while we get that fixed, my dad and i thought we might justupgrade everything. Anyway, i may have hitfilm soon. (muahahahahahaha!). So, ive been watching the tutorials again, and while the effects are far superior, the whole thing is a bit daunting. I thought that maybe in later (mabey COMMING SOON?). versions of hitfilm ultimate and normal, the interface could be a bit more like visionlab. For instance, the lightsaber: instead of just having a neon engine where you can just set the colors and traits like in visionlab, hitfilm makes you put a new comp on, then matte it out, then add the glow, then do a bunch of other stuff. The tutorial also doesnt explane how to make a curved end either. Same with lightning: instead of just having an engine where you can just resize, recolor etc. Like vlab, you've git to go and add a ton of grading and such to even get it to an appropriate size. I havent seen anyone do lasers (from a blaster or something) but it seems like that would be just as complicated as the lightsaber, if not more so.
Anyway, basic point: i think the interface and setup should go back to how it was in vlab. Easy to access and understand, all the effects grouped by their function, or whatever, etc.

Just something to consider.
Would love to hear everyone's opinion!

Comments

• AzulonsAssassinAzulonsAssassin Website User Posts: 109 Enthusiast
    One thing i forgot. The neon light, laser, and lightning engines would definatly be something id love to see reverted back. Not the effects themselves of corse, but just being able to draw the saber, and lasers, and not having to add a bunch of other things to those and the lightning was raelly nice.
    Sorry about spelling, grammer, and typing errors. Typing on an ipad is harder than i thought. Especially if a cat is rubbing on it while you type. 8-|
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Please use the 'Edit' button to add extra detail to a post, rather than repeatedly posting.
    Here's a laser tutorial:

And here's a Force lightning tutorial:

The lightning effect in HitFilm is the same as in VisionLab, just enhanced and vastly faster.
    As for a few specific things like lightsabers having one or two extra steps compared to VisionLab - this is true, but with great power comes great responsibility. VisionLab might have had really easy lightsabers, but you could only really use it for lightsabers or lightsaber-like neon effects. HitFilm can do...well, pretty much anything. But that versatility and power does mean that there is a bit more complexity as well.
    I'd say it's well worth the effort of learning how to use the more complex systems because the pay-off is so much larger. Any skills you learn with HitFilm are also entirely transferable, unlike VisionLab, so if you go to work at a post-house one day you'll already have a decent grounding.
    Well, while i understood that the effects would be more comlicated, my point was this: a few things seem to be missing. For one, a laser engine. While the tutorial you posted on this thread is very cool and clever, the creation of a star wars style laser blast seems like it would be extremely complicated. And im not sure why, but in the harry potter tutorial, instead of just sizing up the lightning, a bunch of other grades and things were added to make it bigger. If it cant be made bigger than that, then shouldnt that be a considered change?
    And also, i know that i posted a thread about curving lihhtsaber tips, butcoul it be explaned in more detail. Not quite sure what "add another point and make it a curve" ment.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    I agree with Simon in general, HitFilm is just so much more versatile and offers so much more possibilities than VisionLab.
    But Azulon'sAssassin still has some valid points. I mentioned before that I really miss the quick way to draw lightsaber shapes, but I guess it would be quite hard to integrate in the new interface.
    But I also don't understand why the ligthning effect can't go any bigger by default, without adding grades. Even bumped up to max (which is 5 I think) it is pretty small for many circumstances.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Just so you know, at the top of this forum is an entire thread dedicated to user requests for new features and adjustments to the program, so we can take them into consideration as we work on future development of HitFilm. I encourage you to offer any suggestions there, so they can get formally added to the list, and we can thus keep track of them.
  • KahvehRobinettKahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    Hitfilms interface was daunting at first but it only took an hour or so for me to get used to it. And it was definitely worth the time. :D
    Ok. Ill go over there and make the requests. Thanks all.
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    The seeming limitations in compositing systems are mostly in the brain of the user, I have found.
    We have a tendency to want to scale up things that are too simple, rather than making the effort to start with a concept that's more scale-able.
    Like for example, you need a five headed monster, so you use a bunch of layers to dupe the heads onto a one-headed monster, and then the complexity of coordinating the heads quickly becomes unmanageable.
    POINT: I see "too many controls" as the mark of robustness in software, and lots of presets/wizzards as symbolic of non-robustness.
    Lots of controls enable you to build a more complex design that's inherently faster to process because each control is pre-optimized with it's own algorithm.
    :)
    edited March 2012
    Ok...valid point. But again the basic points here:
    There really should be a laser engine. While the lightning thing was nice, people making star wars films will need something much different, and if the lightsaber method would have to be used, think how much time it would take to make a full out blaster fight between stormtroopers and rebels.
    The lightning should be able to be scaled MUCH larger. In the Harry Potter tutorial, instead of adding all those grades, wouldn't it have been easier to just scale up the lightning?
    Ive made these requests, and one other i believe, at the thread mentioned. I hope they are taken into consideration.
    Also, im still not clear on how to curve saber blades...
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    When you draw a mask, ANY point in the mask can be made into a curved point, by right-clicking it and choosing the appropriate option. Add a point at the tip of your saber, make it a curved point, and you are good to go.
    Its worth noting, also, that you can create fully 3D laser bolts with the particle generator in Hitfilm (my preferred method), in addition to using the Lightning engine to create 2D lasers. When they are in 3D, the perspective is handled for you, you can easily add motion blur with the click of a button, which helps a ton, and you can quickly adjust the trajectory to any angle you desire.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    To me, the great thing about HitFilm is that you can make lasers a dozen different ways to suit your individual needs. I like that the methods are not standardized in this program.

But... I remember that someone was offering free lightsaber presets on this forum....
    Ah. That clears up the lightsaber thing, Axeman. Thank you. And i wonder if it's possible that a Star Wars style laser blast tutorial will come out? I now know that it can be done with particles and such, but seeing it done is always helpful.
    Anyway, thanks to all. Still open for opinions on things you like better about vlab and vise versa.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Much as I love our old software and am proud of what we achieved with it at the time, I can't think of a single thing I prefer about VisionLab over HitFilm. We did set out with HitFilm to blow the roof off what is possible with VFX at this price point, after all. Much of HitFilm's design followed 5 years of identifying areas which could be improved in VisionLab's design.
    I can achieve things in HitFilm which would have been entirely impossible in VisionLab. Things which were possible in VisionLab I can now do in HitFilm in a fraction of the time. I'm continually amazed and surprised by HitFilm, even though I work with it every day.
    Right, that's enough gushing for one post, I think. :P
  • SketchWorkSketchWork Website User Posts: 127
    edited March 2012
    HitFilm is the successor to VisionLab. So basically it has everything from the Lab products plus a whole shed load more.
    Even the effects that are common between the 2 products are greatly enhanced in HitFilm. I for one found the timeline awkward in VisionLab and I was so pleased with the new HitFilm timeline as in my opinion it is so much better now.
    Shall I mention Tracking? True 3D effects? 3D tracking import? The HitFilm editor? the list goes on :)
    Thanks Justin. :)
    Even the effects that are common between the 2 products are greatly enhanced in HitFilm. I for one found the timeline awkward in VisionLab and I was so pleased with the new HitFilm timeline as in my opinion it is so much better now.
    This is a really good point. Taking the lightning effect, for example - in terms of settings it's more-or-less identical to the one found in VisionLab back in the day. But by having it working in real time in the HitFilm timeline, it suddenly becomes unleashed and you can really go to town with it.
    Azulon - I'm sure once you're a bit more familiar with HF and have followed a few more tutes you'll understand the benefits.
    edited March 2012
    Very well put, all. Just wondering now; will there be a time when lightning can be scaled up more?
    edited March 2012
    So you want to scale up the thickness of the bolt? Did you set the end points WAY off the frame? And that was still not enough? I'm trying to visualize it.
    I noticed that the lightning is kind of set to be used in the distance, and electricity to be used close up. Kind of like how you might see those two things in real life.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

So you want to scale up the thickness of the bolt? Did you set the end points WAY off the frame? And that was still not enough? I'm trying to visualize it.
    The position of the end points doesn't have any effec on the thickness of the bolt, or am I missing something?

I noticed that the lightning is kind of set to be used in the distance, and electricity to be used close up. Kind of like how you might see those two things in real life.
    Not sure what you mean by that... There is just one effect called "Lightning & Electricity", it isn't split up into to seperate effects...?
    Yeah, I mean that the lightning/electricity effect only scales to accommodate making far away lighting, or close up electricity.
    No, the end points do not affect thickness, but do make it appear closer, but still not realistic.
    Okay. I mean this in the most polite way. That wasn't quite what I was looking for in that question. What I meant was will therebe an update in which this option (scaling it up a whole lot more) will become available. Just wondeing, as this seems like it may be a nice addition, as not evryone is doing realistic movies, where the "lightning and electricity" feature is used "realistically."