Canon T3i and "strobe" light?

MatthiasClaflin
MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
edited March 2012 in General
I feel incredibly dumb right now. I bought my girlfriend a very cheap "strobe" light for her birthday. She has a T3i but I just realized that I don't know if it will even hook up to the camera. Is there an input for a sync cable on a T3i? If not what should I get in order to sync the two? I've tried googling it and either I'm missing something or the answer isn't out there.
I got this strobe from ebay.

Comments

• Froi
    Froi Website User Posts: 966
    Well looking at the size of the sync jack, it might have to plug into that (obviously) and then plug the other end into a similar size jack, like the mic one.
    I don't really know much about t3i yet, just having a rough stab in the dark about solving the problem. But soon I shall have my own t3i :D:D:D if not have u tried YouTube instead of google?
  • MatthiasClaflin
    edited March 2012
    Yes, I briefly checked youtube and turned up nothing helpful... If I had a T3i with me, just to look at the inputs, I think I could figure it out, but I don't. I checked google images for an image of the inputs. I checked the specs for a list of inputs and neither gave me any help.
    Just found this:
    [quote]does not have a flash sync terminal for studio work.[/quote]
    So sadly I'll have to get a remote one for the hot shoe port on the camera...
  • Froi
    Froi Website User Posts: 966
    Erm. Go on YouTube for the t3i bit coz there are tones of in depth reviews where they zoom in on all the jacks and stuff, or google a manual for it :)
  • TGamel
    TGamel Website User Posts: 81
    edited March 2012

So sadly I'll have to get a remote one for the hot shoe port on the camera...
    That was the technique I had to use when using an old Vivitar 283 flash on my Nikon D3000 before I bought my Canon T3i. Paid about $14.00 (Yongnuo YN-04II) on Ebay two years ago for a wireless flash transmitter that you placed on the hot shoe of the camera, and then connected the receiver via a hot shoe to the bottom of the flash.
    I had never used it on my T3i, so after reading your post, slapped it on the camera and it triggers my Vivitar 283 flash flawlessly. Think the price now is about $22.00 but I think you get 3 or four wireless receivers. I know you can buy more expensive triggers, but these have never failed to work on my older cameras, and thanks to your post I know it now works on my T3i. Hope this helps ya out.....
    Here is a website you can look at pics of it Yongnuo Wireless Triggeror go to their website at Yonguo.
    Todd
  • MatthiasClaflin
    Thanks TGamel. I'll definitely look into some of that. See what I can get and for how cheap. The more money saved the better! ;)
  • MatthiasClaflin
    Alright, I am resurrecting this topic for a minute because I had some problems with the light. After testing it a couple times on various settings, when the shutter is set too high, we get an ugly black bar at the bottom of the image. The faster the shutter, the larger the black bar, even taking up as much as two-thirds the picture.
    I was wondering if anyone knows what causes this and if there are any fixes for it? Thanks.
    I don't have access to the camera or light at the moment, otherwise I'd post some examples...
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    There is a maximum shutter speed you can use, before you lose shutter sync with the flash. Basically, the black bar is the part of the frame that was covered by the shutter when the flash happened, and the problem is simply that the shutter speed is set too high, as you say. Typically sync speed is 1/250 or 1/500, depending on the flash unit, I believe. The documentation for the flash should give you that.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    Ah, should've done more research I suppose. The sync speed on this particular one is 1/250. Thanks for answering my question Axel, helpful as always!
This discussion has been closed.