Must see films

KahvehRobinett
KahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
What are some of the films you think must be seen in order to be a decent human being.
Kahveh

Comments

• LinkedPictures
    LinkedPictures Website User Posts: 150
    edited March 2012
    -Inception
    -The Matrix
    -Bulitt
    -Star Wars
    -Hot Fuzz
    -Shaun Of The Dead
    -The Hangover
    :P
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Fight Club.
    That's about it, really. :)
  • KahvehRobinett
    No Lord of the rings? :huh:
  • SimonKJones
    I love Lord of the Rings and think that they are very, very good films. I don't think they're massively important films, though. Although I'm sure they've inspired a whole new generation of young people to get into filmmaking, much like Star Wars did in the 70s/80s, so from that point of view they're extremely important, I suppose.
    You original question was pretty open-ended, though. Were you looking for people's favourite films? Or films that people think are important in terms of filmmaking history? Or films that are are important for what they say and do thematically?
    I'd give you wildly different lists for all three of those, for example. Although Fight Club would be at the top of all of them. ;)
  • KahvehRobinett
    I'm just trying to start a conversation about films that many people my not have watched, but a certain person might think are important to watch to be a well rounded person. I think an important film that everyone should watch is To Kill A Mockingbird with Gregory Peck, just to add one to the list.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Maybe this is a stupid question, Simon, but what makes Fight Club stand out so much? I saw the poster and the trailer and it doesn't seem to be that good. I mean it looks good, don't get me wrong, but what makes it that much better than everything else?
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    If were talking about movies that should be required viewing, then in my opinion:
    Star Wars: A New Hope
    American Graffiti
    Godfather I & II
    Evil Dead II
    Goodfellas

(Fightclub is a great movie. Every scene has an interesting visual look. Its a special effects movie even though it appears not to be. And its actually better than the book.)
  • XDestruction
    XDestruction Website User Posts: 21
  • Aculag
    Aculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2012
    The Stupids. Jack & Jill. Anything in 3D.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    Anything in 3D is an awesome movie! I saw Anything in 3D on opening night!
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast

If were talking about movies that should be required viewing, then in my opinion:
    Star Wars: A New Hope
    American Graffiti
    Godfather I & II
    Evil Dead II
    Goodfellas

(Fightclub is a great movie. Every scene has an interesting visual look. Its a special effects movie even though it appears not to be. And its actually better than the book.)
    Evil Dead II? But the third one, Army of Darkness, is soooooo much better!
  • TomMc
    TomMc Website User Posts: 112 Just Starting Out
    Fight Club is the best film of the last 20 years. The only thing that could have made it better was if it was in 3D.
  • SimonKJones

Maybe this is a stupid question, Simon, but what makes Fight Club stand out so much? I saw the poster and the trailer and it doesn't seem to be that good. I mean it looks good, don't get me wrong, but what makes it that much better than everything else?
    Well, you should probably watch it rather than just looking at the poster. :P
    For me, Fight Club is great in several areas -
    Technically: it's a ridiculously advanced film from a technical point of view, from camerawork to lighting to visual effects to sound to music to production design and costumes.
    Entertainment: it's exceedingly funny and very entertaining (albeit in a dark, satirical way), while still having a lot of interesting things to say. It has an anti-pretentiousness attitude which is nicely refreshing.
    Really, though, you should probably just watch it. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's a clever, sophisticated film that is phenomenally well made.
  • TomMc
    TomMc Website User Posts: 112 Just Starting Out

Well, you should probably watch it rather than just looking at the poster. :P
    For me, Fight Club is great in several areas -
    Technically: it's a ridiculously advanced film from a technical point of view, from camerawork to lighting to visual effects to sound to music to production design and costumes.
    Entertainment: it's exceedingly funny and very entertaining (albeit in a dark, satirical way), while still having a lot of interesting things to say. It has an anti-pretentiousness attitude which is nicely refreshing.
    Really, though, you should probably just watch it. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's a clever, sophisticated film that is phenomenally well made.
    Like I said, an amazing film.
    Just not in 3D.
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Saving Private Ryan
    Lord of War
    And for entirely different reasons:
    Watchmen
    Monty Python's Life of Brian
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    King Kong (1933)
    Safety Last (1923)
    City Lights (1931)
    El Mariachi (1992)
    The Mechanic (1972)
    Mad Max (1979)
    Lat sau san Taam AKA Hard Boiled(1992)
    A Boy and his Dog (1975)
    Being John Malkovich (1999)
    Dead Heart (1996)
    War of the Worlds (1953)
    Forbidden Planet (1956)
    Them! (1954)
    Vanishing Point (1971)
    Easy Rider (1969)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
    The Magnificent Seven (1960)
    The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    Star Wars (1977)
    Frankenstein (1931)
    Metropolis (1927)
    Nosferatu (1922)
    MASH (1970)
    Clockwork Orange (1971)
    Blade Runner (1982)
    Conan The Barbarian (1982)
    Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
    Psycho (1960)
    well thats a short list of the films that have influenced me as a film maker. I'll think of more later
  • Froi
    Froi Website User Posts: 966
    Its kind of a funny story
    Inception
    Toy story
    Super 8
    Gran turino
    And many more
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    edited June 2012

When I saw the trailers for Fight Club my first thought was Ok I can skip that, its nothing I care to see. Then a couple years later a friend of mine was like you sooooo have to see this movie. I had zero interest and resisted. Finally one night I was bored and threw it on. My impressions were completely wrong. It was nothing like I expected. It is now on my must see movie list. The only reason I didn't include it above was because Simon already mentioned it. Excellent film, a def must watch.
  • Terminal Velocity
    Terminal Velocity Website User Posts: 18
    edited June 2012
    Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked.
    It really depends on what kind of person you are and what your interests are. As a martial arts fan, I would say Enter the Dragon. But most filmmakers (evidenced here) would say Fight Club. I personally feel no need to see Schindler's List, even though it's apparently a great movie, because I'm not the type of person who might "gel" with that. It entirely depends on you.