Old FXHome Stock Footage

TheRealJayWalker
TheRealJayWalker Website User Posts: 219 Enthusiast
Hiya
On the FXHome website you used to be able to buy stock footage like Fire and Explosions etc. But they seem to be removed now. Is there anyway they can be still purchased (got a project underway and have Fire but could use Explosions).
Thanks
Jay

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    That footage came from NoControl Cinemas, and I was going to link you up with Marco's site, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.
    There is some stock available in the old AlamDV plug-ins, for owners of the pre-HitFilm FXhome products: http://fxhome.com/alamdv2/plugins
    And there is always Detonation Films, as a good source for affordable stock (including some free stuff!). Or the Action Essentials kit from Video Copilot. Good stuff at a reasonable price.
  • TheRealJayWalker
    edited March 2012
    Nice one thank you Axel. Seeing as the 3D particle engine seems to have no end to its abilities, could I create explosions in that...?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    Yes, it is possible. However, based on experience, you'll spend quite a while getting it to really look convincing. With stock, on the other hand, its much quicker to get really good results. However, once you take the time to build a particle explosion, you can save the preset and always have it immediately on hand from then on. And you can view it from different angles quite easily, so it doesn't always look like the wrong explosion. Whereas with stock, your angle is pretty much locked in. So either way has advantages and limitations.
  • TheRealJayWalker
    Nice one thanks Axel. That idea may be a little too advanced for me at this stage but definitely one I would love to have a crack at once my skills with the particle system improve.
    Thanks for your replies
    Jay
  • VaultFX
    VaultFX Website User Posts: 38
    I have been wondering the same thing myself recently, it's a shame these are not around as there were some great clips in those collections...
  • MarkOm
    MarkOm Website User Posts: 63
    Corridor Digital have provided some really good stock footage
  • NuttyBanana
    NuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    If you have some time to put into it, it might be worth taking a look at Blender. I've been watching some stuff on youtube on Blender's smoke/fire/explosion creations and they look amazing.
    If you're on a time limit then action essentials is worth it's cost, but there are some alternatives with the stock footage route.
  • TheRealJayWalker
    I agree NuttyBanana, Blender is an awesome product and is something my brother is getting into. I had Action Essentials in my basket ready to order but then got scared off by the import costs to the UK. I will eventially order it though as what you get looks fantastic.
    In the end though for my Lego Star Wars film I used a combination of duplicating flames and explosions, having the top one set to Add or Screen so they glowed nicely, set opacity down a little and had the second duplicate set to Normal so the depth of the smoke and the vibrant colour of the flames was still there.
    I also used the 3D particle Oil fire, removed the fire texture, turned to a Composite, added a little blur and resized. Was quite happy with my result.!
  • daffodil1003
    daffodil1003 Website User Posts: 1

That footage came from NoControl Cinemas, and I was going to link you up with Marco's site, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.
    There is some stock available in the old AlamDV plug-ins, for owners of the pre-HitFilm FXhome products: http://fxhome.com/alamdv2/plugins
    And there is always Detonation Films, as a good source for affordable stock (including some free stuff!). Or the Action Essentials kit from Video Copilot. Good stuff at a reasonable price.
    Such a very amazing link!
    Ha, I still use the stock footage that I bought from Marco's site, No Control Cinema, I didn't know his site was down though.
    I've also been working on rendering out stock footage in Blender, using the Smoke simulator to make explosions blasts and fire... oh yeah, and smoke too. :D
  • KahvehRobinett
    KahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    That sounds really cool spydurhank I'd like to see some of your renders.
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,148 Expert
    Thanks, I was going to upload some examples of stock footage that I've made in Blender, in a tutorial that I've been working on but, my camera disappeared so I have to buy a new one and re shoot the background footage for the tut. It might be another week or so till I can buy one.
  • KahvehRobinett
    KahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    Sweet, looking foward to watching it. :D
  • Jay
    Jay Website User Posts: 55
    My name is jay aswell
    :))