Ripple effect

jonn_777jonn_777 Website User Posts: 7
Are you able to create a ripple effect in the ground? say if someone stomped the ground, can i create a ripple when that would happen? any advice would be appreciated. Thank You

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    You could use a displacement effect to create a ripple, if you just want to distort the footage. If you want the ground to break up and stuff on the ground to be thrown about like would actually happen with a big impact rippe, then you'd need to consider creating that with 3D animation software.
  • jonn_777jonn_777 Website User Posts: 7
    whats a good 3d animation software?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    Blender is by far the best affordable option, as its very powerful, and free. It also has debatably the worst interface known to man. There are also a lot of free documentation and training resources available though.
    Other commonly used professional options include Softimage XSI, Maya, 3DStudio Max, Lightwave, and Cinema4D. No matter which option you choose, be aware that 3D is hugely complex, and has an immense learning curve. but, it also enables you to do things that can't be achieved any other way.
  • KeeganKeegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    It should be noted that 3DStudio Max is free if you're a student (with a .edu e-mail address)
  • TheRealJayWalkerTheRealJayWalker Website User Posts: 219
    edited March 2012
    Check this out. It may cover your needs mate
    Sketchwork tutorial
    Yeah, I was actually going to link that tutorial, also, but I see you beat me to it. Sketchwork did a brilliant job with creating a ripple effect in Hitfilm, very similar to what you had in mind I think. I highly recommend checking it out.
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    You guys are going to laugh, but you can film a pebble dropped in a tub and get a realistic ripple, then throw a displacement map on it.
    You can render it against anything and just the ripples appear. I would composite it against the original footage.
    Here's a very rough idea. I used some old bird footage from a lake:

And just for fun, can you imagine what you can cook up with a bubble gun? Those are $5 and you got yourself a realistic bubble particle generator, hahaha.
    I'm not laughing. Using stock elements like that is a great way to go. Depending on the type of ripple you want, that could give excellent results. I think it will always have a watery quality to it, so it won't work in every case, but in some cases it would be the very thing.
    Hahaha, well you can "shake" it and time map it to knock out some of the watery look. Beats suffering with Blender, hahaha.
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,821 Ambassador
    Good job with filming your own stock footage budwzr. Very clever idea. :D
    Thanks, Spydur, necessity and being poor are the mother's of invention.:)
  • TheRealJayWalkerTheRealJayWalker Website User Posts: 219
    Wow that was really nice budwzr, I never thought you could do that with stock film. Very clever
  • TGamelTGamel Website User Posts: 81
    Pretty creative Bubwzr, I can see that if you had a big enough container of water and could do on overhead shot how the ripples would give you a really cool effect. Will have to try this sometime.
    Todd