change video speeds

It seems simple to change the speed of a clip, but i cant find how to do it.

Comments

• SketchWork
    SketchWork Website User Posts: 127
    Just drop on one of the "temporal" effects. The "Speed" effect will allow you to change the speed of your clip. Just make sure you have the latest version as I believe it was added in the 1.1 release.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    Correct. Also, make sure that when you use the speed effect, you enter a positive value between 0.00 and 1.00. It seems that sometimes the impulse is to enter a negative number, which would actually try to play the footage in reverse, not in slow motion, so just be sure your selected value is positive if you want the footage to play forward in slow motion. If you want it to play in reverse, I recommend the Reverse tool.
  • RomanRuinFilms
    RomanRuinFilms Website User Posts: 51
    What is the difference between the speed effect and simply changing the frame-rate of the footage?
  • budwzr
    budwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited February 2012

What is the difference between the speed effect and simply changing the frame-rate of the footage?
    That's a great question! Give yourself a cigar.
    The difference is that the time thingy probably "blends" between frames and that would cause blur.
    If you change the framerate down you'll get slow motion.
    The trick is to change the framerate to a "multiple" of the original, like 120,60,30,15, and "interpolate" the frames.
    If HF can interpolate the frames, that's great, but in case not then,
    You can buy Twixter, but there is a free program here: http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/
    It's a bit tedious to set up, but once you do it, you're all set on auto.