lightning strikes in HitFilm

I must be totally missing something... I'm experimenting with making distant lightning strikes in a landscape scene. I add the lightning & electricity effect and can adjust it nicely, however the effect applies across the entire duration of the video clip! So it sticks on the clip and stays there. I'm trying to figure out how to make the lightning strikes appear across only a few frames at a time, so it looks like real lightning. Any help or suggestions really appreciated - Thanks!

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2012
    You should put the lightning on a black plane, not the video layer. Then change the layer blend properties to "add", put that plane above the video layer. Then you can keyframe animate the opacity of the plane so that the lightning can only been seen for a few moments at a time.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    You can also animate the Growth properties for the start and end, if you want the lightning to start high and grow down toward the ground, for example. Once the lighting is on its own plane, you can also add a Flicker effect to the plane to easily create some variety in the brightness of the effect.
  • DNeff
    DNeff Website User Posts: 4
    Thanks guys, that works!
  • RNick
    RNick Website User Posts: 27
    I seem to be too stupid to get this to look naturally. My "lightnings" just look crappy, nothing like in real life. I have used Glow and Core opacity settings, experimented with the number of Trunks and what not - no success. Could anyone possibly point me in the right direction? - Thanks.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    If you are having trouble making it look natural, then I would recommend getting an image of some footage of actual lightning, and keep it right there for reference, so you can look at the real thing, then adjust the HF version until it matches.