A10 Warthog taking out tank

ghootghoot Website User Posts: 50
Have been wanting to play with bringing 3D models from SolidWorks into hit film. I animated the A10 swooping down in SW with a green screen colored background. Your thoughts for improving?

Gary

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Wow, that looked impressing! The only tiny bit of critique I would add is that maybe the colors of the explosion look a bit to vivid compared to the footage it is placed in, if you know what I mean... The warthog composited in looked very good!
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    The matte on the warthog has holes.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Maybe throw some camera shake in there? To sell the effect of how much damage the A10 is doing? Maybe make the camera shake a bit from the plane flying so close to the ground as well? It's up to you, thought it looked pretty good.
  • Eflat ProductionsEflat Productions Website User Posts: 163
    You might want to use a little grading, so the Warthog matches the scene better.
  • ghootghoot Website User Posts: 50
    edited February 2012

maybe the colors of the explosion look a bit to vivid compared to the footage it is placed in, if you know what I mean.
    Yeah, it does look off to me too, but wasn't sure what to change. I'll try that.

The matte on the warthog has holes.
    Where are you seeing the holes? I think there may be some issues with the surfaces in the model around the turbines, is that where you are seeing it?

Maybe throw some camera shake in there? To sell the effect of how much damage the A10 is doing? Maybe make the camera shake a bit from the plane flying so close to the ground as well? It's up to you, thought it looked pretty good.
    Good idea, I'll give that a shot. Haven't thought of trying that now that it should be easy with ultimate. :D

You might want to use a little grading, so the Warthog matches the scene better.
    this is where my severe lack of artistic ability shows. Do you mean to try to make it look more like the same colors of the scene?
    All,
    Thanks a lot for all of your comments. This is just what I was looking for. I want to get good at this stuff one day. :P
    Gary
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited February 2012
    When the WartHog overlaps the flames, you can see through it.
    Also, I think WartHogs fly a lot slower.
    It's still awesome.:)
    edited February 2012
    Did some more work on this. Still not supper happy with how the bullets are hitting the tank, and the over all look, but hopefully it's better that the first one. :D The particle simulator seems so simple in the tutorials, but not so much when I try to use it. Still need to practice a lot with it to understand all of the settings. I like that camera shake, That helps sell the explosion.

Gary
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    That's much better - the attack on the tank in particular looks really cool now.
    A few things that stick out about the plane for me:
    - It's really tiny. Looking at the grass on the field, the plane looks like it's only about 3 metres wide. A plane of that sort would be MUCH bigger.
    - The plane appears to fly so low that it would actually hit the ground.
    - The shadow is the wrong angle.
    - The shadow can still be seen as it moves off the ground.
    - I'm not sure the plane should even have a defined shadow, given the flat, overcast weather conditions.
  • Eflat ProductionsEflat Productions Website User Posts: 163
    I thought it might be helpful if you had some real footage as a reference.
    Also you need to grade your A10, so it looks the same as your background. this can be done, by using a sample of you background, with the grading tool, and adding it to the A10 layer, that way it doesn't look, so out of place.
    You might also want to pull back some on the scene, and do two cuts, like is done in the YouTube video. Have one where the A10 is shooting, and another with the shells hitting the tank, and still have the A10 fly over it, I think that would make for a much better shot.
    And don't forget, you can do the editing in hit film. hope this helps.
    Simon,
    One of my buddies says that it looks small too, and after looking at it some more, I have to agree. The plane has a wingspan of over 56 feet, and it looks maybe half that in the video. Found in SolidWorks, that my camera was set to 135mm and the spline I have it following was about 3 times to long compaired to the distance in the scene. My camera that the real footage is shot with is a Canon VIXIA HF M40. These are the specs on it:
    Video: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
    Focal Length: f-6.1 - 61mm (35mm equivalent 43.6 - 436mm)
    So, I shortened the spline and set the SW camera to 35mm to match my camera. Looks like that is going to work much better.
    The shadow is a tough one. SW doesn't really make one on the ground, it just has one directly below the plane, so I had to do some tricks to get it. Maybe I'll make it lighter and fade it out at the end.
    Eflat,
    Cool video! I don't completely understand how to do this:
    "this can be done, by using a sample of you background, with the grading tool"
    Is the grading tool a specific tool, or a combination of the 3 grading effects? Also, how do I use a sample of the background?
    Starting to figure out that grading is very important, just wish I knew how to do it! @-) :P
    Gary