IDEA FOR TELEVISION PROGRAM

This is an idea for a television program. It will be very expensive to make but will make lots of money when it becomes the most watched television program of all time.
[img]http://happysadpictures.squarespace.com/storage/idea-for-television-program/iftp-ff-still1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://happysadpictures.squarespace.com/storage/idea-for-television-program/iftp-tom-still2.jpg[/img]
Actually this is something I made very quickly to get myself making something in between more serious projects. it was lots of fun.
Here are the original concepts for the characters:
[img]http://happysadpictures.squarespace.com/storage/idea-for-television-program/FUMBLE-FACE-concept1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://happysadpictures.squarespace.com/storage/idea-for-television-program/SHAMBLIN'-TOM-concept1.jpg [/img]
Thanks for watching.
Max

Comments

• "I like to kick things" LOL
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Hehe, I like this. It goes back to the warped, disturbed sense of humour of Mr Fox, rather than the more narrative horror of Lover Boy.
    I'm still struggling to pinpoint why I love your stuff, Max, where (for want of a better term) arty fare normally leaves me cold or irritates me.
    I think it's because you somehow sidestep pretentiousness by always including a cheeky sense of humour.
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    that's completely insane, I love it.
    I would like to buy the rights to make sequels.
  • Max
    Max Posts: 53
    edited January 2012

Hehe, I like this. It goes back to the warped, disturbed sense of humour of Mr Fox, rather than the more narrative horror of Lover Boy.
    I'm still struggling to pinpoint why I love your stuff, Max, where (for want of a better term) arty fare normally leaves me cold or irritates me.
    I think it's because you somehow sidestep pretentiousness by always including a cheeky sense of humour.
    Thanks Simon, glad you like it.
    I am definitely keen on getting back to more humorous stuff as it's a lot of fun to make and I think an essential part for me. Thinking about completing the taxidermy films with a final film, thus making a trilogy. Then going for a more serious film in April with the Lover Boy cast.
    Interesting question there. I don't really see my stuff as very arty, I see film making as an art and as a way of communicating and expressing things that are otherwise impossible to articulate. I think that film has been hijacked by a desire to see novels in moving picture form, which negates a huge portion of what film can and should do. On the other hand, art film to me is something that is often very pretentious, lazy, technically terrible, has nothing to say, justifies itself by insisting that it's meaning lies in the fact that you do not understand it, and are therefore obviously not on the same plane of enlightened understanding. So, I would say I just make films in the way they enter my mind. I hope that my stuff never comes off as pretentious, as it's always very genuine on my part, I really care about it. it's good to know that you as someone who feels a similar aversion to art films feels that mys stuff does not fall into that camp.
    Thanks Daniel, the rights will be very costly, very, very costly. Speak to my agent I'm too busy and important to dirty myself with talk of money. But you would be looking at a lot of money just saying.
    Max
  • doppelganger
    doppelganger Posts: 20
    edited January 2012
    haha this is great, reminds me a lot of Trash Humpers except this isn't overly long and boring.
    also this may be a stupid question but where does your inspiration for this kind of stuff come from? not so much the story but the tiny details like in the second concept for the mask there are 2 tiny white horns/triangles.
    For some reason I always seem to side step interesting little detail and end up focusing on a broader story... i guess I should just focus more on character and personality
  • Max
    Thanks doppelganger. I'm not sure where my inspiration comes from, frustration I suppose.
  • Haha looking back at that question it's pretty much un-answerable, sorry.
  • Max
    Ha, no, it's a fair question, just difficult.
    I think that a lot of the time I spend a long time developing ideas that become very serious and progress into being impractical. There are limits to what I can do in terms of time, money, people, and equipment, so lots of my ideas end up looking good in theory and then being impossible in a practical sense. That leads to a growing sense of frustration. Also, i was getting hung up on what I should be making, rather than what I wanted to make and it was dragging me down. It's difficult to explain but the best I can do is say that the whole process was becoming less and less fun.
    So, out of various ideas that didn't work, out of sheer frustration, and out of the knowledge that what was really important is actually making stuff, I came up with this film, made the masks, shot an edited it in a few days. the actual content was made up on the spot.
    The little horns were just to show that he wore his slightly evil nature proudly.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    I really liked this. It's bizarre and creepy and atmospheric, but comical. I appreciate how concise it is, as well; many filmmakers would take a concept like this and stretch it out to four or five minutes, at which point it would have worn out its welcome. Nice stuff.
  • Max
    Thanks Aculag. Yeah, I'm happy with it, and looking forward to doing more of this sort of thing.
  • Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    I already told you my thoughts on this, but I'll echo them again here-
    Sharp and simple, but with enough alluring oddity to me absolutely infectious. This is just great. Extremely funny in it's own oddball sort of way- matter-of-fact and easy to 'get', but still stylistically niche, which I think is your strongest quality.
    Timing, camerawork, and acting are all superb. As is the Wes Anderson-like directness of the title 'Idea for Television'. Love it, good stuff once again, Max.
  • Max
    Thanks very much Andrew. It's actually very gratifying that people are enjoying this. I'm definitely going to be doing more of this sort of stuff, I enjoy it a lot.
    Also can't get O Children out of my head now and have listened to it several times since watching your reel earlier. Now I want to put it in a film.
  • IamJoshuaDavies
    IamJoshuaDavies Staff Posts: 360 Staff
    Pretty much perfect, really worked for me. :)
  • Darren
    Darren Posts: 164
    I do enjoy it for its oddness as well. It keeps me wanting to see what happens next. I think what I like about it is that these masks the characters wear hide any possible emotion. So the fact that it's conveyed by subtitles and most of the time, opposing body language keeps my attention.
  • Max
    Thanks very much chaps.
    I'm really interested in presenting things in a straight forward way, and having them seem extremely simple but actually having lots of layers underneath them. Doing (hopefully) complex things in a minimal way is very appealing.