Best microphones

Does any one know any, really good quality, microphones that I can plug into a dslr and use it or plug into my pc record via that.
But it needs to be cheaper than £200 any one know any good ones?

Comments

• madmike
    madmike Posts: 135
    the rode bullet mic is about a hundred and works fine with my 600d
  • Froi
    Froi Posts: 966

the rode bullet mic is about a hundred and works fine with my 600d
    Perfect! Coz I'm gunna get a canon 600d! Also how long can u record on video mode before it has to stop? Like how long, an hour?
    Thanks
  • budwzr
    budwzr Posts: 655
    edited January 2012
    Anything Rode is great.
    But I do want to mention portable recorders with "Mic Capsules" as well, specifically the Zoom H2n.
    This recorder can be hooked up as a hotshoe mic or on a boom or simply placed on a tripod close to the sound. You can hook up a lav mic to it. Wired or wireless.
    If you kill the audio on the camera, you'll have that much more room for video, or use it as a safety net and record both on the camera AND on the recorder at the same time.
    It can take a feed, or give a feed, acts as a Windows USB recording device, and records in 48K bit depth (pro level).
    Example: You're taking a video of a piano solo, and you need great sound, but you can't stand right next to the piano, but the recorder can.
    Example2: You're doing an interview and need crystal clear voice. To get that, the mic needs to be just a few inches from the speaker's mouth, but your camera cannot be that close.
    Example3: You want to record ambient and specific sounds like baby goo-goo, ocean waves, trains going by, etc.
    Example4: You want to do a voiceover on your computer, and need to adjust limiter, compression, and gain BEFOREHAND, rather than use just a "dumb" mic plugged into the soundcard.
  • Froi
    So it is like one of those mini mics like the ones you clip on to people on shows like big brother, I'm a celeb, interviews etc??
    And tbh it seems quite good :) but I do like a good old rode videomic lol :)
  • madmike
    The recording time isnt high I think you get half hour to 45 minutes, Still just have a few spare charged batteries and extra memory cards and you ll be fine
  • Froi

The recording time isnt high I think you get half hour to 45 minutes, Still just have a few spare charged batteries and extra memory cards and you ll be fine
    Is this for the ride mic? If so, I don't mind coz I'll only make short videos like the skyrim one I am planning at the moment :)
  • madmike
    no the 600d the rode mic lasts a lot longer
  • Froi

no the 600d the rode mic lasts a lot longer
    Oh okay, do u know how many hours if film it can hold with the memory card that comes with it (in full HD) and I suppose I will have to buy I more powerful battery, thanks for telling me!!
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited January 2012
    What memory card comes with it? To my knowledge it doesn't come with one. You have to buy it seperately. Also I read somewhere that it can only take 10 minutes of straight 1080p video, 20 minutes of 720p and a ton more 480. I read that they have a file limit on it, so the videos can only get so large before it shuts it down. To be honest I don't own the camera so I don't know.
    PS I use the Azden ECZ 990 microphone and if you want to hear an example of it, the fight short I created to go with my sound effects I made, is done using it. Also I can send you other examples if you want. (I actually have a video made with my girlfriend, on her T3i, so you can see first hand what it would sound like on one.)
  • Hey Froi,
    I'm a HDSLR user and have a Nikon D3100. I was also looking for a microphone for my camera and I've been told, and the reviews have told me that the Rode is definitely going to be your best buy. I actually need to get one myself, but for now the on board mic does me justice!
    As for the recording times, Matthias is correct, in 1080p recording you can only film a maximum off ten minutes each record. I have a 8GB SDHC card and that allows me to film quite a few ten minute segments.
    Don't forget to look into SDHC cards though if you want HD recording :)
    Good luck finding your equipment!
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Posts: 427 Enthusiast
    edited February 2012

Perfect! Coz I'm gunna get a canon 600d! Also how long can u record on video mode before it has to stop? Like how long, an hour?
    Thanks

Froi,
    I have the T3i (US version of the 600d). At 1080p, I can only record about 11 minutes before I hit the file size limit. I have a 32 GB card, so I can get about 2 hours of video total. I just have to keep track of time so I don't stop recording at a crucial moment.
    Here is a link to a video I shot and edited (Premiere 5.5) for my employer using the T3i. The talent was shot against a green screen, except for the close-ups.

To keep this slightly on topic, I used an Audio 2000 wireless mic (off Amazon) to record the audio. I used a patch cord to plug the mic's base unit into the T3i.
  • Froi
    @everyone on topic, thanks for the recommendations and I will definatley be looking into them, for the mic I will probably be staying wi the rode videomic now as I have heard quite a fair bit about how good it is :) but I do like those other mics too that u guys recommended.
    With the canon 600D/t3i.... So you can record up to 10-12 minutes of film at one go (in full hd, how many frames a sec?) and then you press stop record, then press record again and does it then start a new timer so I can film another 10minutes??? And merge all my 10min clips together afterwards??
    Thanks a lot for the help!!!!
  • budwzr
    edited February 2012
    If you want to override the time limit, you can output the HDMI to a field recorder.
    There are solutions to every issue that impedes on your filming. The question is how pro do you want to go? Is it critical that you have to have "X", or can you work around it, and pocket the savings.
    The most professional broadcast cameras burn up batteries fast too, and the operator has to wear a battery belt.
    If your SD card uses Fat32, and they all do, there's a 4Gb limit. Windows NTFS eliminates this, but you gotta be running Windows, and cameras don't run Windows.
    If you're running Magic Lantern (Canon only, sorry Nikon), you will see onscreen how much file space remains, and whether you can complete a scene or not. Just use a little forethought.
    If you're shooting 1080, and need longer files, use Magic Lantern to cut the bitrate down on scenes that don't need high detail quality. The T3i records around 50Mbps. You can cut that in half and double the recording time.
    There's all kinds of ways to skin this chicken, that's half the fun!:) To make a high quality product on a shoestring.
    I'm proud to be cheap!
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

I have the T3i (US version of the 600d). At 1080p, I can only record about 11 minutes before I hit the file size limit. I have a 32 GB card, so I can get about 2 hours of video total. I just have to keep track of time so I don't stop recording at a crucial moment.
    To keep this slightly on topic, I used an Audio 2000 wireless mic (off Amazon) to record the audio. I used a patch cord to plug the mic's base unit into the T3i.
    So with the internal memory you can get 11 minutes and with the 32GB card you can get 2 hours? Am I understanding that correctly?
    Excellent quality on your vid. I see the T3i has come down in price some and I may consider that model. Especially if I can 'line-in' a mic. Can't wait for the tax return. :P
  • Froi
    @stormyknight, It records in 10 minute segments, and depending on what card u have u will be able to store 5 10 minute long scenes or 10 10 minute long scenes, understand?? If I managed to make sense lol
    @budwzr erm, I will be making videos like freddiew's videos, short and interesting, I wouldn't make long films with it, about 3-5 minutes of video I will need in total, so what memory card u think I will need to get?
  • RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2012

So with the internal memory you can get 11 minutes and with the 32GB card you can get 2 hours? Am I understanding that correctly?
    Excellent quality on your vid. I see the T3i has come down in price some and I may consider that model. Especially if I can 'line-in' a mic. Can't wait for the tax return. :P
    Stormy,
    budwzr described it correctly. Everything goes to my 32 GB SD card. 11-12 minutes is where I typically hit the 4 GB file size limit. As I shoot video, I monitor my time, so I can stop recording and begin again with a fresh 11 minutes. I guess 1 1/2 hours would be a better total time estimate for my card.
    I haven't brought myself to installing Magic Lantern on this camera yet. If the camera was for my personal use, I would probably already have done it. But my employer bought it for me and I don't want to do anything that would screw it up.
    My wireless mic setup (2 wireless mics, plus the base) has a 1/4" jack for audio out. I just bought a patch cord off Amazon to be able to plug that into the mini-jack on the T3i.
    I'm attaching a photo of our temporary studio we assembled at the back of our training room. It worked very well. We're doing a remodel of one of our company buildings, and I'm going to get a 20'x30' permanent studio (I get to share it with the still photography guys).[attachment=215:StudioSetup.jpg]
    The gal in the photo is our training manager.
  • Froi
    Does it matter what make of card it is for it to fit in canon 600d and what type of battery does it take? And what should I buy?! Thanks
  • budwzr
    edited February 2012
    Regarding Magic Lantern. It does not "change" anything in the Canon firmware, but it DOES set the boot flag to run ML from the SD card.
    So you have to make sure that autoexec.bat file for ML is there, else the camera goes into an endless loop and will overheat if you don't pull the battery right away.
    It is certainly a serious matter, and if you're not able to remember to watch it at boot to make sure it doesn't hang, then..... :<
    So I DO NOT recommend using ML to a casual user. No, no, you've got to pay attention.
  • budwzr
    edited February 2012

Does it matter what make of card it is for it to fit in canon 600d and what type of battery does it take? And what should I buy?! Thanks
    You need a Class 10 and Kingston is no good. Trust me on that! Kingston is junk.
    There may be others that are no good too. If you don't get a true Class 10 card, the camera buffer will overflow and stop recording. That's how you know the bad ones.
    AFA battery, I have the two-battery grip, and that's good for all day mixed shooting. I've never experienced a dead battery yet, so I don't know how long, etc. If you get that grip, rotate the battery positions every time you charge because it uses only one at a time and batteries need exercise.
  • RossTrowbridge
    I'm using a Transcend class 10 32 GB card. I haven't had any problems with it at all. As for the battery, I purchased an OEM battery off Amazon (MaximalPower 1120mAh) that has given me equal performance to the battery that came with the camera. I just rotate them as they discharge and always keep the spare charged.
    The reviews on the card you linked to seem pretty positive when used with a DLSR. I'm not familiar with the brand, however.
  • Froi
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maximfoto-1350mAh-replacement-warranty-Supplies/dp/B003DOFS8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328167189&sr=8-1 do you know how long this last for? (does it last longer than the battery that comes with the canon 600D?
  • budwzr
    edited February 2012

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maximfoto-1350mAh-replacement-warranty-Supplies/dp/B003DOFS8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328167189&sr=8-1 do you know how long this last for? (does it last longer than the battery that comes with the canon 600D?
    There's no way to judge a battery from a screen shot. The milliamphour rating stamped on it could be a lie.
    Look for a battery that has a 4-5 star average rating from lots of users. Avoid the cheapest deal in town, because there ain't no free lunch.
    AFA the battery grip goes, if you decide to get one, don't buy the knockoff one. That grip is connected to the electrical system, and you just don't want to take a chance.
  • Froi
    edited February 2012

There's no way to judge a battery from a screen shot. The milliamphour rating stamped on it could be a lie.
    Look for a battery that has a 4-5 star average rating from lots of users. Avoid the cheapest deal in town, because there ain't no free lunch.
    AFA the battery grip goes, if you decide to get one, don't buy the knockoff one. That grip is connected to the electrical system, and you just don't want to take a chance.
    Do you have a link to the battery u r recommending because I have searched for it, but it comes up with tonnes of other stuff, and when I find it I don't know whether it is the right one or not :) thanks! And I'll try avoid dodgy deal ;)
    However that battery I linked has all five star or 4 star reviews
  • budwzr
    OK, 4/5 star reviews is good, but make sure it's a LOT of reviewers, not just employees aunts and relatives of the guy selling. :)
    No, I'm not looking it up. The one I bought is "Lenmar".