How to do sky replacement without greenscreening

I'm trying to learn to do sky replacement without bule screening. Pretty much like this guy does: http://revision3.com/filmriot/skyreplacement
But for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. It seems I need to change the luma but I can't find that in Hitfilm. How would I achieve this effect?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    Assuming you are using a Set Matte effect to assign the sky area, you can choose the Luminance channel of the matte you created.
  • CranialFans
    CranialFans Website User Posts: 92
    Cool, but that guy goes waaaaay to fast to follow :)
    If the camera is not moving you could always mask out the sky and add whatever sky you need.
    Of course you could also do that if the camera was moving, but would require some painful rotoscoping @-)
  • ShockHawk
    ShockHawk Website User Posts: 8
    So I've tried messing around with the Set Matte but I still can't figure out how he achieves this effect. I can get it to the sky being the background I want with black below it but that's as far as I can go. In his video -*BAM!*- it's done. I don't understand what he's doing.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    That's probably because he's going so bloody fast, and assuming a large amount of familiarity with After Effects, and on top of that, you aren't actually using AE, so you need to find corresponding tools for each of the things he does.
    You should have a layer of your video, with the washed out sky, and a copy of that layer with the levels and stuff applied to turn it into black and white, so you can use the white to select the sky. Turn visibility off for the black and white layer, so you can't see it in the viewer. Then add your new sky layer, above the main video layer, and apply a set matte effect to it. Set the source layer to the black and white layer, and set the channel to luminance.
  • Majahr
    Majahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 559 Enthusiast
  • ShockHawk
    ShockHawk Website User Posts: 8
    Thank you guys, this has really helped a lot.