New video + Happy new year everyone!

Robin
Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
Hey guys, happy new year to everyone!
I spent the last two days working almost nonstop on a new short video, and thought I'd share the result with you!
It features a lot of effects, all of which were created with HitFilm. Feedback and criticism are welcome, enjoy! :)

Comments

• Froi
    Froi Posts: 966
    Love the effects, only things that I will comment on are small things... At 0.08 where he teleports behind the red guy at the last frame the shadow suddenly jumps in, so maybe also mask the shadow so it matches the movement of the black suit guy :) then at 0:10-0:11 when he shoots him, maybe have a bullet hit on the ground from the ricochet so it looks more realistic and maybe add a small flare on the lasers as they disappear so they don't just stop, (so the laser flashes and then when the flash fades out the laser is no longer there, if that makes sense) then when the rocks disappear at the end maybe copy the particle effect and flip it over and grade it has no brightness (black) then turn down the transparency so it looks like a shadow...
    But those are only things to make it that 'little' bit better, but overall I think the effects and the stop motion is insane! Especially when it was done in two days none stop! :)
    Keep up the good work! :D
  • Robin
    Thanks for the tips, just corrected most of them in my project! :)
    I only disagree on the shadow of the particles when the rocks disappear, they are meant to be some magical, glowing particles and therefore wouldn't cast any shadow :P
  • Froi

I only disagree on the shadow of the particles when the rocks disappear, they are meant to be some magical, glowing particles and therefore wouldn't cast any shadow :P
    Oh okay, I was just thinking that it would have better enviromental impact if you did a shadow or light refraction from the particles, but since it's magic, like in many Harry potter re makes on YouTube people don't have shadows and what not for that so that makes perfect sense leaving the shadows out :D
    And I'm glad that the tips helped ;)
  • Robin
    Thinking about it I think I should have added some light to the ground, as the particles should be glowing :D
  • Froi
    edited January 2012

Thinking about it I think I should have added some light to the ground, as the particles should be glowing :D
    Yeah that'd look cool, would you mask out a shadow or just copy the particle effects to make it look like each particle is emitting light? ;)
    Because I'd add a thin coloured smoke layer so it looks like the light is hitting the little dust particles in the air and then add a thin smoke shadow on the floor to match the smoke/ dust in the air but put the smoke over the masked out glow so it makes a shadow for the smoke, (and give the smoke shadow some blur so it is not too bold). But id only do that for super specific detail, which shouldn't matter too much for Lego :)
  • Robin
    whoa, now were getting into some incredible amount of detail :D
    I think I'd just mask out the portion of the floor directly underneath the effect, apply a heavy feather to the mask, tint it with a slight blue and then set it's blend mode to Add - that should do the job ;)
  • Froi

whoa, now were getting into some incredible amount of detail :D
    I think I'd just mask out the portion of the floor directly underneath the effect, apply a heavy feather to the mask, tint it with a slight blue and then set it's blend mode to Add - that should do the job ;)
    Haha yeah lots of detail lol
    And yeah that seems like a good, satisfactory idea :D so are you editing it again then re posting it on to YouTube then or just leaving it? :)
  • Robin
    I am reediting the project, I already embedded some of the ideas you gave me, and some own, as I wasn't completely satisfied with it myself, but well, I had a deadline to submit it :D
    Don't know if I will reupload it... maybe, if the final changes are big enough ;)
  • ghoot
    ghoot Posts: 50
    Very Cool! Thanks for sharing.
    Gary
  • Froi

I am reediting the project, I already embedded some of the ideas you gave me, and some own, as I wasn't completely satisfied with it myself, but well, I had a deadline to submit it :D
    Don't know if I will reupload it... maybe, if the final changes are big enough ;)
    Or here's an idea, I don't know if it'd be any good tho... A spot the difference competition, between the first video and the re edited one! :D also at some point in the future we should make a mini stop motion competition hosted by us two, and we can make ads for it and put it on YouTube saying "RRPicture P... and Froi P... Are hosting a must entre stop motion competition, to entre you must first subscribe, then post a link on one of our channels and we will judge," or something like that....
    (but that's just an idea to gain more subscribers haha)
  • Robin
    @Gary: Thanks! :)
    @Froi: Nah, don't know... I don't really like hosting contests... Maybe somwhen in the future. :)
    Oh, but I wouldn't do it to get more subscribers - I want people to subscribe to me because they like my videos, not because they have to to enter a contest ;)
  • Froi

@Gary: Thanks! :)
    @Froi: Nah, don't know... I don't really like hosting contests... Maybe somwhen in the future. :)
    Oh, but I wouldn't do it to get more subscribers - I want people to subscribe to me because they like my videos, not because they have to to enter a contest ;)
    Yeah, I want subs from my videos too, but no mater how many vids I make a don't get any subs, any advise on how to get more!? :(
  • Robin
    Not really... Just keep making stuff and improve, be active in the community, speak to some people you think might like your videos, and just be patient. Also, not really caring about your subscribers count and just having fun making videos helps, that's how I do it :D
  • Froi

Not really... Just keep making stuff and improve, be active in the community, speak to some people you think might like your videos, and just be patient. Also, not really caring about your subscribers count and just having fun making videos helps, that's how I do it :D
    Thanks for the advice, and I am making a 5-10 min long film at the moment which I hope people will like, the main thing I am worried about is the accents in the film, if they're understandable or not
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Great video, Robin! Tight animation with the models and the VFX.
    Froi - doing a subscribe competition is a bit pointless as they'll only unsubscribe again after they win/don't win. Subscriptions are only worth anything if they're from people who are genuinely interested in your stuff. If you're not getting as many subs as you'd like, there's a few areas to look at:
    - Make better videos. The most obvious one, here. Maybe your stuff just isn't good enough yet? Keep working at improving!
    - Encourage people to subscribe. Put annotations at the start or end of your videos to remind them. Make sure you don't get in the way of the content itself, though.
    - Make sure you have a regular release schedule. If you don't release lots of content, there's no reason to subscribe. At the end of one video make sure you annotate another one, or something that's coming soon, so that people realise you have more content and it wasn't a one-off.
    - Get the word out - make sure you tell people about your work. If you make a game-related film, make sure you contact all the major gaming blogs, for example.
  • Froi

Great video, Robin! Tight animation with the models and the VFX.
    Froi - doing a subscribe competition is a bit pointless as they'll only unsubscribe again after they win/don't win. Subscriptions are only worth anything if they're from people who are genuinely interested in your stuff. If you're not getting as many subs as you'd like, there's a few areas to look at:
    - Make better videos. The most obvious one, here. Maybe your stuff just isn't good enough yet? Keep working at improving!
    - Encourage people to subscribe. Put annotations at the start or end of your videos to remind them. Make sure you don't get in the way of the content itself, though.
    - Make sure you have a regular release schedule. If you don't release lots of content, there's no reason to subscribe. At the end of one video make sure you annotate another one, or something that's coming soon, so that people realise you have more content and it wasn't a one-off.
    - Get the word out - make sure you tell people about your work. If you make a game-related film, make sure you contact all the major gaming blogs, for example.
    Yeah, to be honest I only really wanted the competition to be able to see other peoples work and be able to start annually holding the, or monthly doing them so people will more interested in my channel and to see othe good stop motion videos that have been entred, the subscribing bit was just an added extra that I wouldnt really do coz no one would end up entering.
    And I make sure all my latest videos are at the end of each of my videos (like credits) with channel links and what not, and I have been releasing many videos. But I believe that in a couple of weeks, when I am due toget a computer the quality of my videos will be much better, and I will then be able to run bEtter VFX software, (I'm still using visionlab on my laptop as it is the only software it can cope with!) and visionlab makes my footage pixelated when it moves which is annoying. And I shall encourage people to subscribe and try to get the word out then by finding Lego and film blogs. Thanks, also, in the future (when I have an hd camcorder) I will be making proper videos like freddiew and corridor digital, because I know how to do the effects, I just can't afford them :'(
    But thanks for the tips Simon, I shall try them out, and I'm making a Lego film at the moment (5-10 mins ling like I mention earlier) so that should HOPEFULLY give me a boost in popularity, and make my subs even happier :)