Error on Start-Up - Nvidia Optimus

I just tried to load hitfilm ultimate onto my new Dell I7, GT 555 3g, windows 7 home premium, 8gig of ram laptop and I get a message saying the computer does not fit the minimum requirements.
I have downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and still nothing.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,259 Staff
    What's the graphics card on that machine?
  • emmo5611
    emmo5611 Posts: 71 Enthusiast
    NVidia GT 555M 3g
    I know it is not the fastest card but it is on your list of compatible cards.
    The error message says that I need OpenGL 2.0 or higher, the card has 3.0 installed
    also saying i need OpenGLSL version 1.2 or higher, but I do not know how to find this
    The final piece is the monitor must be in true color (32 bit) not sure how to do that either
    What do you think it might be?
  • emmo5611
    The 32-bit color is turned on so not sure why the software is asking me to set it to that
  • emmo5611
    Really frustrated now. Just did a fresh reinstall of Hitfilm, and it is still not working.
    Drivers are all updated, the openGL's are all the right ones, and the screen is on 32bit color.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong.
    Any help would be great.
  • AxelWilkinson
    That error message is sort of a generic message that comes up when the graphics card isn't compatible. The references to Open GL and 32-bit color cover some of the requirements of the card, but there are other more technical issues involved as well. So even if your OpenGL, and color depth are ok, there can still be issues, which that error message doesn't specifically address. That being said, since your card is meant to be compatible, I'm not sure what is going on. Here are a couple things to check:
    Some laptops ship with two graphics cards installed. Is it possible that your laptop has a second GPU, perhaps an integrated one, in addition to the 555M? If so, then it will be necessary to force the laptop to use the 555M when running HitFilm.
    Second, I'm not sure whether you updated your drivers through Windows, or by visiting the Nvidia website, but you should always make sure to visit the manufacturers website when performing the update, as sometimes Windows doesn't keep track of every driver release. So in case you didn't go here last time, please check this page for the latest drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
  • emmo5611
    Yes it does us an integrated HD card, so now I think I need to figure out how to force the laptop to use the Nvidia card when using hitfilm.
    No idea how to do this.
    Could you walk me through it if you have a second?
  • AxelWilkinson
    I'm not sure myself, sorry. I'll need to talk to one of our tech guys, when they get back into the office next week.
  • emmo5611
    I think I figured it out. at least I got it working.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  • Ady
    Ady Posts: 1,531 Enthusiast

Yes it does us an integrated HD card, so now I think I need to figure out how to force the laptop to use the Nvidia card when using hitfilm.
    No idea how to do this.
    Could you walk me through it if you have a second?
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delayed response, your machine is using Nvidia Optimus which is a battery saving utility attached to the graphics card driver on your machine. It is designed to save battery by only using the Nvidia Chipset when it's actually needed.
    There is a YouTube video here which explains how to set your machine up to use the Nvidia Chipset always. It's brief but I hope it helps you understand the feature better.
    Thanks
    Ady