Primary Slot & SLI Question

I have a PCI audio card, M-Audio Audiophile 192, that blocks my use of the primary PCI-Ex16 slot on my mother board. So my vid card, Asus/Nvidia GTX 560ti, is sitting in the secondary slot. Is there any preformance reduction from using the secondary slot as opposed to the primary?
And if I would run 2-560s in SLI would Hit Film take advantage/use both?
The reason I'm asking is I would like to see a decrease in my render time. Been working on a 3 minute vid at 1920x1080. Composite shot with 2 vid layers and 9 layers of text. Effects on both vid layers is the green screen present and black & white. Render time with 24bit 48Khz audio (WAV) is 19 minutes.

specs:
Win7 PRO x64
Asus Sabertooth X58
i7 950
24 gig DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Asus/Nvidia GTX 560ti
2 - WD 750gig SATAIII
3 - WD 750gig SATAII
2 - Samsung Super Write DVD
Dual 24" LCD monitors
Not over clocked.
Thank,
Duff

Comments

• Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,517 Staff

I have a PCI audio card, M-Audio Audiophile 192, that blocks my use of the primary PCI-Ex16 slot on my mother board. So my vid card, Asus/Nvidia GTX 560ti, is sitting in the secondary slot. Is there any preformance reduction from using the secondary slot as opposed to the primary?
    And if I would run 2-560s in SLI would Hit Film take advantage/use both?
    The reason I'm asking is I would like to see a decrease in my render time. Been working on a 3 minute vid at 1920x1080. Composite shot with 2 vid layers and 9 layers of text. Effects on both vid layers is the green screen present and black & white. Render time with 24bit 48Khz audio (WAV) is 19 minutes.

specs:
    Win7 PRO x64
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    i7 950
    24 gig DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
    Asus/Nvidia GTX 560ti
    2 - WD 750gig SATAIII
    3 - WD 750gig SATAII
    2 - Samsung Super Write DVD
    Dual 24" LCD monitors
    Not over clocked.
    Thank,
    Duff
    Hi Duff,
    The only way the performance of the card would be hindered is if the secondary slot was say a PCI 4X slot which was common on some older boards. This would mean the GPU will be capped to 4x performance. But the Sabertooth x58 has two dedicated x16 slots & a separate x4 slot so you will be fine, performance will not be hindered at all for you.
    Sli & Crossfire are predominately games orientated features & as such HitFilm does not take advantage of multiple graphics cards. This is something that we might look to in the future, but right now HitFilm will not take advantage of additional graphics cards present in your machine.
    Thanks
    Ady