Help! - Muzzle Flashes

Hello everyone. I am brand new to HitFilm as well as film making. I shot a short clip so I could test out muzzle flashes. I was able to edit the muzzle flash to match the background and color of the scene, however, when I set the layer blend mode to 'add,' I can still vaguely see the background of the muzzle flash layer (it doesn't completely match the background of the scene; it's a bit lighter). I know that you can place a vignette around it to soften the intensity around the edges, but this option is not available it the standard edition of HitFilm. Is there any way to fix this issue in HitFilm Standard?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    I'm guessing you are using a muzzle flash image, as opposed to a muzzle flash effect created by Hitfilm? What is the source of the muzzle flash? Have you tried the muzzle flash engine? It creates phenomenal muzzle flashes, allows you to align them perfectly to any scene, and easily modify them so every flash is unique.
  • I edited a 3D muzzle flash preset that came with HitFilm
  • AxelWilkinson
    There is no background to the 3D muzzle flash effects, so I'm a bit confused as to what you are seeing. Can you give us an image to look at so we can understand the problem better?
  • I was following the "Prism" muzzle flash tutorial on youtube. I forgot to mention that one of the steps was to add a black plane in the muzzle flash layer in order to make a glow effect. The background of the muzzle flash layer is the plane. I attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.
  • AxelWilkinson
    Ah, i understand now. You need a bigger plane in relation to the muzzle flash. The trouble is that the bright area of the muzzle flash is larger than your plane, so it is illuminating the plane's edges. You can either 1) increase the size of the plane, 2) reduce the size of the muzzle flash in the composite containing the plane, then increase the scale of that whole composite layer when adding it to your footage, or 3) edit the muzzle flash effect so its glow doesn't extend so far. Personally, I'd go with 1, but its your choice.
  • I see now. I went back and increased the plane size and it worked!!! I'll be sure to keep this in mind for future projects. Thank you so much for your feedback and support!!!
  • AxelWilkinson
    Cool, glad you got it sorted out. :)