muzzle flash opinions

Froi
Froi Posts: 966
edited December 2011 in Practical Filmmaking
hello!
i looked back on this video i made a while ago (3 months ago) and i came across a problem i may face in the future when doing paintball videos.

basically i would like to know how you would create a muzzle flash for a paintball gun.
eg. with smoke but no flash or with flash and nothing else etc, etc
thanks everyone

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    For paintball, I would do a bit of smoke/steam, and no flash at all. Flames wouldn't make any sense in context, since there is no burning or explosion powering the paintballs. There is, hoever, an ejection of Co2 powering them, which would create a bit of smokiness.
  • Froi

For paintball, I would do a bit of smoke/steam, and no flash at all. Flames wouldn't make any sense in context, since there is no burning or explosion powering the paintballs. There is, hoever, an ejection of Co2 powering them, which would create a bit of smokiness.
    Cool, I will try that out soon, but another problem with paintball, how would you do the bullet hit, as a little colourful splat or add some smoke, (trying to make real, but going over the top so it looks more action packed, but what do you think would make it look good, but not too over the top?)
  • Something that might be cool would be to take a regular muzzle flash and make it look smokey or maybe grayscale it and then make it a little transparent with a touch of residual smoke afterwards.
    it would add a bit of action to it without being too unrealistic(for legos I mean).
    BTW, where did you get the little paintball guns? I looked at lot of lego kits while shopping for the holidays and didnt see any paintball ones.
  • Froi

Something that might be cool would be to take a regular muzzle flash and make it look smokey or maybe grayscale it and then make it a little transparent with a touch of residual smoke afterwards.
    it would add a bit of action to it without being too unrealistic(for legos I mean).
    BTW, where did you get the little paintball guns? I looked at lot of lego kits while shopping for the holidays and didnt see any paintball ones.
    I like that light muzzle flash idea and smoke! :) and I go on www.firestartoys.com that is where I get many of my characters, and guns, including paintball guns. I also get helmets and riot sheilds an musical instruments from there too! :)
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking the new Blood Splatter effect could work nicely for paintball hits, once you set it up correctly.
  • BrianJohnson
    BrianJohnson Posts: 83
    edited December 2011
    Paintball gun camera footage from my brother here...
    1:07 and about 1:58 of this video have some good shooting. It shows that a grey-scale Hitfilm muzzle flash that had the opacity set to about 45 or so would prolly look very close to real.
  • Froi

Paintball gun camera footage from my brother here...
    1:07 and about 1:58 of this video have some good shooting. It shows that a grey-scale Hitfilm muzzle flash that had the opacity set to about 45 or so would prolly look very close ...
    Yes, I do like that angle of seeing the flash! And I see that there is definatley a thin smoke layer, like on a muzzle flash of a gun with out the flash (but it being gas from the paintball gun and not smoke from a real gun) :) thanks Brian!
  • Froi

I'm thinking the new Blood Splatter effect could work nicely for paintball hits, once you set it up correctly.
    I'm not too sure about the new blood effects that are out but I have downloaded he free ones from Christmas which I do love!!! I've used them in some of my recent videos :) and if the new effects are only compatible with hitfilm I can't use them (yet) but if they work with fxhome visionlab that will be brilliant!
    Also I should be getting new computer soon so I can edit a proper film and then be able to MUCH better (professional grade) editing on my own mini films in the future :)
    Thanks again!