Audio Devices

StormyKnight
StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
edited December 2011 in Practical Filmmaking
A while back ago, Simon commented on a device to use for recording audio in place of a camera's microphone. I can't find that post again- I know, I should have 'watched' the topic but I forgot to mark it.
Simon, if you read this, could you please tell me what audio device you use for recording again? Does it sync with the video being taken or does it sync in post production?
I also saw these the other day and was wondering how well they might work for recording 'in the field' per se. They have a stereo line in for a microphone and it seems it would be real easy for an audio person to record while actors are moving by having this unit in a shirt pocket with a hand held boom for the mic. I just wonder how tough or easy it would be to sync the audio with the actors after filming. What's your opinion?
http://tascam.com/product/dr-08/
This one is pro grade.
http://tascam.com/product/dr-100mkii/

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited December 2011
    The one Simon referred to was probably the Zoom H4n, but those Tascam models are the same type of device, called a "portable field recorder". Of the two you link, the DR-100mkII is a much closer match to the H4n, in terms of features and quality. I know a while back, the H4n was the one that ALL of the DSLR shooters wanted, though I can't recall the particulars of why it was considered the best field recorder for the job. The quality to price ratio on it is certainly excellent though.
  • StormyKnight
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, Axel! That's the recorder alright.
    I used to have an excellent portable mini-disc recorder (back in the 90s) that I used a stereo mic with. The mic still works perfectly but unfortunately, the mini-disc tech never caught on in the States so I find myself in need of another type of field recorder since the age of the mini-disc recorder has taken its toll. I figure I might as well plan ahead for filming too. B-)
    The Zoom does have the better price for the quality and a few more features too!
  • PLANB
    PLANB Posts: 105
    I got the H4N after the school bought it for me to use to make a documentary for their 75th Anniversary. I had no knowledge of it yet I managed to use the easy menus and built in microphones to get stellar voice recordings of interviews. Now I have an sm58 on a boom pole with the H4N! It's so exciting! Anyway, H4N has a steep price at first but I'd call it industry standard.
  • StormyKnight
    Thanks for the input, PLANB. Sounds like it pays itself off which is good to know. I'm definately leaning that direction right now. As soon as I get my tax return I'm snagging one. B-)
  • PLANB
    PLANB Posts: 105
    No problem StormyKnight :) If you need help, which I doubt since I bet you will figure it out like me, go to this little youtube tutorial playlist.
    Good luck! Please let me know how it turns out.
  • duffman
    duffman Posts: 235 Enthusiast
    If you use a field recorder to caputer audio how do you sync it to the video?
    Do you link the field recorder and camera via something like MTC making 1 a slave and 1 master so the transport function of the master runs the slave?
    And do you have to use a multiple or division of the camera frame rate as your MTC frame rate?
    Duff
  • Nothing that sophisticated. You usually just clap your hands or make a loud nosie that you can use to match the video with the audio later in post.