Does anyone remember the English show Knightmare?

madmikemadmike Website User Posts: 135
I don't know why but I thought of this show this morning. Wondering how it was done and how at the time I thought it was amazing even though most of the contestants could barely make it past the first brickwall guardain. I had such a fondness for this show at the time.
For those that don't know Knightmare was a Childrens TV show where 3 contestants helped a 4th navigate a computer generated dungeon.

Comments

• ThelurkerishThelurkerish Website User Posts: 141
    Ah I vaguely remember that, back in the days when ITV was able to produce a few hours of quite good tv shows for kids everyday, now they have a dedicated channel for kids shows and seem to produce not much at all

I suppose now kids just play skyrim though so prehaps its harder for childrens televison to compete with computer games and DVDs, there is a show called trapped on CBBC which is I suppose the successor
    it is intresting watching the clips on youtube though
  • NuttyBananaNuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    I used to love that show. Whenever they hit a moment where the timer appeared with the face melting away was scary as hell lol. Imagine what they could do these days, it couldn't be that expensive surely.
  • madmikemadmike Website User Posts: 135
    I loved it as a kid. I heard theres no interest in bringing it back now, there was a new pilot a few years back but they took out all that made the show what it was in the first place.
  • SketchWorkSketchWork Website User Posts: 127
    hehe - I used to love that show: . Happy memories :)
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    A great show which I think was actually produced here in Norwich. It must have been a hellish technical challenge back in the 80s and it's surprising that they even attempted it.
    I've always been surprised that they haven't done a modern version given technology these days, but I think Lurkerish has probably hit it on the head: this kind of show doesn't make much sense when you can immerse yourself in Skyrim/WoW/etc.
  • HybridHaloHybridHalo Website User Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    The opening animation and theme tunes (for there were three) are all on my phone as seperate ringtones. Knightmare was awesome!
  • TomMcTomMc Website User Posts: 112 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2011
    It was indeed filmed by Anglia TV in Norwich, and my friend Joe was the player in the opening titles for some of the later series. I was always very jealous, even though the helmet meant you could only see his chin.
This discussion has been closed.