Final cut

FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
Hello, guys! I need help! I'm gunna get final cut and most probably hit film! But I need to know what motion tracking software I can use for final cut (it's not final cut pro x, the newer one, it's the last one). Also can the 3d motion tracking software, for hitfilm, useable on final cut??
Thanks everyone!

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,232 Staff
    Keep in mind that Final Cut is Mac only, and HitFilm is PC only, so you will need to be transferring every file between two different machines to use these products together. Also, if you want to use motion tracking software with both, you will need to find a tracking program that allows you to use the software on two different computers simultaneously, under two different operating systems.
  • FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966

Keep in mind that Final Cut is Mac only, and HitFilm is PC only, so you will need to be transferring every file between two different machines to use these products together. Also, if you want to use motion tracking software with both, you will need to find a tracking program that allows you to use the software on two different computers simultaneously, under two different operating systems.
    Ok, so hitfilm is introducing 2D motion tracking? And it has that other 3d tracking software called.... . Do you know any 3d or 2d motion tracking software that can be used in final cut? Because I only know mocha and that's too expensive, so I was wondering if there was another one so I could compare hitfilm and final cut together so I cane then descide weather I should get mac or pc (but if I do get mac or pc I can just install operating system of the other one onto my computer so I can use both softwares?)
    Thanks axel for your help
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,232 Staff
    Hitfilm already has 2D point tracking. 3D tracking has to be handled by any one of a number of third party applications out there. The same is generally going to be true of Final Cut; you'll export the footage from Final Cut and import it into a 3D tracking program, rather than performing the track within Final Cut. 3D tracking is nearly always performed in a dedicated app, not within an editing application.
    If you try to run Hitfilm on a Mac, you need to make sure that (a) the Mac has a powerful enough graphics card to handle it and (B-) Whatever system you use to run Windows on the PC allows it direct access to the graphics card. Boot Camp would be the best option. It is entirely possible to do this, but you need to take extra care that all the pieces will fit together properly. The same goes for setting up a Hackintosh on PC hardware.
  • DarrenDarren Website User Posts: 164

Hello, guys! I need help! I'm gunna get final cut and most probably hit film! But I need to know what motion tracking software I can use for final cut (it's not final cut pro x, the newer one, it's the last one).
    If you are getting FCP - meaning someone is giving you their older version cause they don't want it - that's one thing. But if you are paying for it, I hope you know you are buying an EOL product.
    It would be like buying Visionlab if you could - sure you could use it, but no more updates or support.

Hitfilm already has 2D point tracking. 3D tracking has to be handled by any one of a number of third party applications out there. The same is generally going to be true of Final Cut; you'll export the footage from Final Cut and import it into a 3D tracking program, rather than performing the track within Final Cut. 3D tracking is nearly always performed in a dedicated app, not within an editing application.
    If you try to run Hitfilm on a Mac, you need to make sure that (a) the Mac has a powerful enough graphics card to handle it and (B-) Whatever system you use to run Windows on the PC allows it direct access to the graphics card. Boot Camp would be the best option. It is entirely possible to do this, but you need to take extra care that all the pieces will fit together properly. The same goes for setting up a Hackintosh on PC hardware.
    Okay, thanks axel for your information, it has been very helpful! And yes the other apps I will definatly need then, do you have any recommendations for a 3d motion tracking software that is compatible with finalcut? I know one for hitfilm already, also what would you prefer... Final cut, or after effects for making effects and adding music?? I know you'll say hitfilm though haha!! :)
    Ps: I like how you put (B-) and it came up with a smiley

If you are getting FCP - meaning someone is giving you their older version cause they don't want it - that's one thing. But if you are paying for it, I hope you know you are buying an EOL product.
    It would be like buying Visionlab if you could - sure you could use it, but no more updates or support.
    No I will be given it from people that use it, as it is better than final cut pro x according to most people, or I might try and get given after effects from a mate, but I don't know if their version can go onto mac
    edited December 2011
    Wow, must be nice to know people who are just sitting on $1000 software licenses that they can just give away.
    Final Cut is not intended for making effects. It is a straight up video editing application. One of the best, but its focus is specifically on video editing. If you want to create effects, you would want to look at Motion for the Mac platform, or After Effects for Mac or PC. After Effects, on the other hand, doesn't do video editing at all, and focuses specifically on creating effects, motion graphics, and compositing. For general effects creation, I do indeed prefer Hitfilm (which also does editing), but which software will work best will depend a lot on what type of effects you want to create.
    As far as tracking software, I don't have a lot of experience with it, but the only product that I know of offhand that is affordable and available on both platforms is PFHoe.

Wow, must be nice to know people who are just sitting on $1000 software licenses that they can just give away.
    Final Cut is not intended for making effects. It is a straight up video editing application. One of the best, but its focus is specifically on video editing. If you want to create effects, you would want to look at Motion for the Mac platform, or After Effects for Mac or PC. After Effects, on the other hand, doesn't do video editing at all, and focuses specifically on creating effects, motion graphics, and compositing. For general effects creation, I do indeed prefer Hitfilm (which also does editing), but which software will work best will depend a lot on what type of effects you want to create.
    As far as tracking software, I don't have a lot of experience with it, but the only product that I know of offhand that is affordable and available on both platforms is PFHoe.
    That's wünderfull stuff! Can final cut have its files imported into after effects so I can edit, I need to edit bullet it's in glass of a driving car for a proper film as work experience and helping them out, and if it goes well I can help edit lots of the film, this is why I keep asking a bunch of questions!!! Lol, so is hitfilm as good a quality for featu films? Is after effects? Can you merge after affects with final cut files on mac? Those are the questions!! Haha but I must say hitfilm is looking good,
    You won't be able to move project files between any of those projects, but you can render video out of any one of them to import into another. Any of the products is capable of quality sufficient for feature films, though there is potential for complications with workflow, depending on what format they are working with in editing the video and creating effects. when you say feature films, are you talking about something filmed with movie cameras, or something sourced in HD video? Final Cut is somewhat regularly used to edit Hollywood features. After Effects sees regular use on television commercials, and I'm sure it has been used more than once on theatrical features. Hitfilm hasn't been used on any features yet that are released, but I do know of at least one that is using it in their post-production workflow right now.

You won't be able to move project files between any of those projects, but you can render video out of any one of them to import into another. Any of the products is capable of quality sufficient for feature films, though there is potential for complications with workflow, depending on what format they are working with in editing the video and creating effects. when you say feature films, are you talking about something filmed with movie cameras, or something sourced in HD video? Final Cut is somewhat regularly used to edit Hollywood features. After Effects sees regular use on television commercials, and I'm sure it has been used more than once on theatrical features. Hitfilm hasn't been used on any features yet that are released, but I do know of at least one that is using it in their post-production workflow right now.
    Hmmm, rendering takes a long time lol. It is a film filmed with a camera that, I think, uses a one of the cards/HDDs used in the Red cameras, and I will see if I can use hitfilm in this film, I'll let you know if they get any more software.
    The film is also like a low budget film that aims to get into the cinemas.
    So are you allowed to tell us what the film is using hitfilm at the moment is?
    Thanks
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    Final Cut 7 is dying and everyone is migrating to something else. Why would you want to start with it now? It has some silly restrictions that unless you buy some plugins you'll have to deal with. Starting next semester the whole editing department at my college is dumping FC7 because it's getting too outdated, and by the time the students graduate it'll be unusable.
    It's still a good program, I just wouldn't advise starting to use it now cause it's not getting any newer. Why not Premiere CS5? Everyone seems to love it, and you're guarantied updates.

Final Cut 7 is dying and everyone is migrating to something else. Why would you want to start with it now? It has some silly restrictions that unless you buy some plugins you'll have to deal with. Starting next semester the whole editing department at my college is dumping FC7 because it's getting too outdated, and by the time the students graduate it'll be unusable.
    It's still a good program, I just wouldn't advise starting to use it now cause it's not getting any newer. Why not Premiere CS5? Everyone seems to love it, and you're guarantied updates.
    I just went over to the studio and they were using it, and I have been looking into other software like cs5 or hitfilm. I'm gunna try and sell it to them so they will get it, but they are not really using major effects in the film so they just really need something to edit the footage, grade, and ad sound etc...
    So I'll probably get them to get after effects to edit with, then use that in the final cut stuff they have so they won't have to do a complete software change.
  • StrikeEmStudiosStrikeEmStudios Website User Posts: 224
    Final Cut, Premiere Pro and Vegas are editors, you do your motion tracking in something like AE, Hitfilm or a dedicated tracking program, not in conjunction with your main editing suite.
    Apple may be focusing on iMovie X, but FCP 7 is still far better than most editors out there, you can still buy it from apple thanks to the outcry. I would never update to the "revolutionary FCP X" as it's not a pro editor, and i personally wouldn't touch Premiere Pro, i have always found that clunky, slow and confusing - i'm sure it's improved since CS4 but it's not for me.
    Bare in mind FCP 7 studio retails at £816, a Macbook Pro 15" basic is £1500, that is a Hefty sum that i'd only part with if I knew it was going to be worth it. Adobe's production premium pack might be a look, i don't know it's full price but my friend picked it up for £300 with student discount, that has Premiere and After Effects in.
  • NuttyBananaNuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151

Final Cut 7 is dying and everyone is migrating to something else. Why would you want to start with it now? It has some silly restrictions that unless you buy some plugins you'll have to deal with.
    Premier Pro is for children. See, I can talk bs too.

Final Cut, Premiere Pro and Vegas are editors, you do your motion tracking in something like AE, Hitfilm or a dedicated tracking program, not in conjunction with your main editing suite.
    Apple may be focusing on iMovie X, but FCP 7 is still far better than most editors out there, you can still buy it from apple thanks to the outcry. I would never update to the "revolutionary FCP X" as it's not a pro editor, and i personally wouldn't touch Premiere Pro, i have always found that clunky, slow and confusing - i'm sure it's improved since CS4 but it's not for me.
    Bare in mind FCP 7 studio retails at £816, a Macbook Pro 15" basic is £1500, that is a Hefty sum that i'd only part with if I knew it was going to be worth it. Adobe's production premium pack might be a look, i don't know it's full price but my friend picked it up for £300 with student discount, that has Premiere and After Effects in.
    Thanks ! I know have enough data to take to the studio to show them all and try and make them get after effects, and then use the rendered, edited, footage from after effects and bring it into their final cut so everybody wins, and the film keeps awesome quality effects!
    So Final Cut 7 is not dying, and everyone is not migrating to something else? What do you call a program that hasn't been updated in almost 3 years, and will never get updated again? Dying!

So Final Cut 7 is not dying, and everyone is not migrating to something else? What do you call a program that hasn't been updated in almost 3 years, and will never get updated again? Dying!
    Or maybe just outdated. But I have heard from facebook that you can link final cut footage to after effects without having to render it first, now I am confused lol, can you link it without rendering or not?
    My post was more in response to NuttyBanana. I think only Premiere files can go to After Effects without rendering, all other programs have to render first. Maybe Apple Motion works that way with Final Cut, but not After Effects.

My post was more in response to NuttyBanana. I think only Premiere files can go to After Effects without rendering, all other programs have to render first. Maybe Apple Motion works that way with Final Cut, but not After Effects.
    Oh, okay then, this rody for clearing things up! ;)
  • DanielMorganDanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    Final cut is an industry standard editor. Its excellent, but its a video editor.
    Hit Film is mainly a vfx compositor. It's not even remotely as good an editor as FCP 7. Likewise, FCP 7 is not even as remotely good at Hitfilm at vfx compositing.
    You can take final cut files into hitfilm, as uncompressed quick time files, but hitfilm is pc only and fcp is mac only.
    Personally I would buy Hitfilm and Sony vegas or Premier Pro. (Premier Pro has pretty bad encoding rates).
  • Eflat ProductionsEflat Productions Website User Posts: 163
    I was looking at AE, but the price is too steep for me. At less than half the price, HitFilm can do the same thing, Plus has editing capabilities. I mean what more could you want. Except for the fact it won't run on Mac's unless you use Bootcamp.

I was looking at AE, but the price is too steep for me. At less than half the price, HitFilm can do the same thing, Plus has editing capabilities. I mean what more could you want. Except for the fact it won't run on Mac's unless you use Bootcamp.
    Yeah, that's the problem that I have final cut for editing the video and trimming it down and adding sound etc, but I need some good VFX software to use for the film as well, and considering that we only have macs (for final cut) and we don't have boot camp for them either! :( but this is what I hav found out:
    Final cut, yu can render then use footage in after effects, then render it back out from after effects into final cut.
    Hitfilm, you need boot camp if I we to combine final cut footage with it, but I have know Idea how to combine the footage through bootcamp, or what bootcamp is lol.
    After effects, is expensive but I used throughout the media world for editing
    And that's about it so far
    Thanks
  • llirikllirik Website User Posts: 29

Don't fix what ain't broken maybe?
    I'd like a better reason as to why it's "dying".
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2011

Don't fix what ain't broken maybe?
    I'd like a better reason as to why it's "dying".
    Simply put, in comparison to the Adobe line or even the Sony line, it is outdated. The newest version is more of downgrade than an upgrade, as I'm sure we can all agree. It isn't necessarily dying, but it isn't living anymore, it isn't growing or expanding. It is no longer being updated (and won't be supported for too much longer if they haven't dropped support already). If you aren't living, you're dead. That's how I see it. So no, it isn't a dying product, it is simply a dead one.

Simply put, in comparison to the Adobe line or even the Sony line, it is outdated. The newest version is more of downgrade than an upgrade, as I'm sure we can all agree. It isn't necessarily dying, but it isn't living anymore, it isn't growing or expanding. It is no longer being updated (and won't be supported for too much longer if they haven't dropped support already). If you aren't living, you're dead. That's how I see it. So no, it isn't a dying product, it is simply a dead one.
    Again... don't fix what ain't broken. I agree with FCPX, and I haven't used premiere in a while, but i can't imagine a single tool i actually need that they would have that i dont have access to ranging from a regular edit to multicam PPU stuff. Even titles are still quite good to be done directly in FCP. The only drawback I can honestly think of is lacking 64-bit architecture.... but given the machines are buff enough that I run on... even with 2K footage I can still edit easily. In a few years without any changes, yeah, FCP will need to be out the door... but I think there's plenty of time that's it not just NOT dead, it's not dying yet either. Perhaps apple decided to change drastically with FCPX is because they realized there really isn't much more that needs to be done with FCP so may as well try to change the game again. And who knows, once we have better tools in FCPX and you can actually convert older FCP files to it... maybe we'll all be thinking "hey, how the hell did we ever edit in such an old NLE fashion before?"
  • DarrenDarren Website User Posts: 164
    No, Apple decided to go the FCPX route to make what was once "pro" to be more consumer friendly.
    Make no mistake, FCP is NOT dead, but IT IS dying. How can you say it isn't dying when the very week FCPX was announced, Apple pulled all FCStudios off their site with NO notice to anyone?
    Apple should have phased it out instead of pulling out the rug from under it's professional user base. And yes, while FCPX MAY turn out to be "pro" by the time FCP is "dead" - Why would you risk losing your professional base by slowly adding in features that should have been there from the start?
    You can check this thread to see where some of the pros stand on FCP and FCPX.
    When software ceases to be in active development, the term for that is End of Life. Final Cut reached End of Life when FPX was released. Anybody know another term to describe something that has reached the end of its life?
    Make no mistake, FCP is NOT dead, but IT IS dying. How can you say it isn't dying when the very week FCPX was announced, Apple pulled all FCStudios off their site with NO notice to anyone?
    As I recall, they had brought FCP back on sale after that. :P
    Gives me hope... that either they'll change their mind.... or by then, FCPX will be "usable". In any case... there's no reason for those using it professionally to adopt a new platform at the moment.

When software ceases to be in active development, the term for that is End of Life. Final Cut reached End of Life when FPX was released. Anybody know another term to describe something that has reached the end of its life?
    Something at its end of its life is dead, or I would say FCp is on its death bed, it is still going strong with some people but completely dead for others, this is why all this topic has different options, for some it's dead, for some it's not begin used much and not cared for, and for others, they use it. :) hehe

there's no reason for those using it professionally to adopt a new platform at the moment.
    My point wasn't that people using it now should all switch, but that there was no point for someone new to jump on board now that it's almost over.