John Carter

StaffOnlyStaffOnly Website User Posts: 78 Just Starting Out
edited December 2011 in General
So as some of you may know it's finally being made (after history's longest development hell of 79 years!). The trailer is out. And sadly so are the trolls (young people?) complaining that it "ripped of Star Wars and Avatar".
I really hope this film gets past that. Not only does it deserve a free pass for inspiring Star Wars and Avatar, but Pixar-writer-director Andrew Stanton wrote and directed this. After Finding Nemo and Wall-E I have full faith in him. Also are you working on this Matt? I see your company is.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    For quite a while Matt's sig on the forums was something along the lines of "Currently working on John Carter of Mars." Not sure if he changed it yet, but he was working on it for quite a while, not sure if he still is.
    I think this shall be awesome.
  • ThelurkerishThelurkerish Website User Posts: 141
    looks like a great movie
  • StaffOnlyStaffOnly Website User Posts: 78 Just Starting Out

For quite a while Matt's sig on the forums was something along the lines of "Currently working on John Carter of Mars." Not sure if he changed it yet, but he was working on it for quite a while, not sure if he still is.
    Really? It seems he cannot escape working on red-brown, sandy movies. :P Working on this must be really cool though. I wonder what shots he did.
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    Really looking forward to this movie! Looks all kinds of awesome. Always get goosebumps at the "You're John Carter of earth?" "Yes Ma'am" part. Considering I know nothing of the source material, I'm surprise how much I wanna see this.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I don't know much about this, other than what has been said on here, and I'm just not excited at all... I don't really see anything particularly special about it...
    edited December 2011
    Andrew Stanton is what is special about it. :) And Michael Giacchino. And epic CGI. And the fact that the book is 100 years old. ;) Just because people have been stealing ideas from the book since long before most of us were born, it's still cool that it finally got made.
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2011
    And the fact that the book is 100 years old. ;) Just because people have been stealing ideas from the book since long before most of us were born, it's still cool that it finally got made.
    Unfortunately, this means it's going to seem stale and derivative now. Having Andrew Stanton directing doesn't necessarily lend me any hope that it's going to be good, because based on what I've seen, it looks... not good.
    I was excited when I first heard that it was getting made, even though I haven't read the books, because I hoped to see things like this:
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YzrJt.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WsaFq.jpg[/IMG]
    Working on source material 100 years old should have given the creators a lot of room to be inventive and do something that audiences haven't seen before. I think a film based on Frazetta's artwork would be amazing, but instead we get this. Attack of the Clones meets Mad Max. Familiar-looking landscapes with cartoony creatures. Nothing special. Even if it's true to the source material, it's still going to seem like things people have done before, because like you said, people have taken things from it for years already.
    Maybe it'll still end up being good, but my hopes are diminished considerably after seeing the trailer. I think if this wasn't a Disney property, there would have been a lot done differently.
    Why does he have the Batman logo on his chest on the second shot?
  • MasterWolfMasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    lol I think the resemblance to the Batman logo is coincidence. Though Frank Frazetta was a comic book artist for a long time before he started painting fantasy book covers... he may have thrown it in as a in-joke
  • SerpentSerpent Website User Posts: 24
    edited December 2011
    This looks like it just ripped off Star Wars and Avatar. I like that they used Kashmir though.

[color="#FFFFFF"](Oh wow, that really is a cover of Kashmir, apparently. I'm with Aculag on this one, but a sucker for the genre. I'll give it a chance fosho, looks cool at least.)[/color]

This looks like it just ripped off Star Wars and Avatar. I like that they used Kashmir though.
    That would be because both George Lucas and James Cameron raided John Carter for ideas (and admitted it publicly so there can be no mistake). ;)
  • SerpentSerpent Website User Posts: 24
    edited December 2011
    Trollololololllll... it was too tempting.
  • HybridHaloHybridHalo Website User Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    Really? It seems he cannot escape working on red-brown, sandy movies.
    Hehe, it's sort of true. I spent around a year on Prince of Persia and now 8 months on John Carter.I don't escape until the end of January!

Hehe, it's sort of true. I spent around a year on Prince of Persia and now 8 months on John Carter.I don't escape until the end of January!
    Cool! Also I meant to tell you that I've seen Prince of Persia now and I really liked it! I don't know if you remember my angry-fanboy-rant (back on Fxhome) about what Newell did to Harry Potter, but he certainly made a good film here. And the VFX were top notch. :D
  • gaiusrossgaiusross Website User Posts: 29
    I downloaded the first John Carter book - A Princess of Mars - from here My link. It makes the trailer make sense although I have only got to chapter 6 so far. It seems quite obvious that a lot of film makers took their inspiration from this book.
  • OrionOrion Website User Posts: 6
    Hmm John Carter, didn't he used to frequent the old FXHome boards back in the day? Nice guy.
  • DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
    My knowledge of the source material only comes from a 10-minute wikiwalk the other day, but I reckon I'd watch this. The trailer looks alright rather than awesome though - as you guys have mentioned, probably doesn't help that it's been ripped off already.
  • madmikemadmike Website User Posts: 135
    never read it but im downloading the audio book. No matter how good the film I'm sure the books better.
    edited December 2011
    Here's a much, much better trailer. The voiceover is all Japanese, so as a bonus, watch it on YouTube and turn on Transcribe Audio and Translate Captions for a good laugh. :)
  • DX6channelDX6channel Website User Posts: 72
    The movie is out. Has anyone seen it yet?
  • budwzrbudwzr Website User Posts: 655
    edited March 2012
    [quote name='Aculag' timestamp='1323033035' post='8963']
    :)
    edited March 2012
    It's really not surprising that this has gotten pretty bad/mixed reviews so far. I watched a 10 minute clip from it about a week ago and thought it looked like pretty standard Disney fare, which, while not necessarily a bad thing, didn't really make me particularly excited for it. I'm waiting for VOD, personally.
  • JayJay Website User Posts: 55
    the film was good i liked the giant monster puppy
    Saw it tonight. Not as good as I hoped it would be. Still a pretty fun movie with some badass parts here and there, but overall it's kinda average. Don't feel like writing a long review on it, but if anyone have any questions I can answer them.
  • TheRealJayWalkerTheRealJayWalker Website User Posts: 219
    I think I'd agree with Rody. It was good but I was not as blown away as I was hoped to be. Part of me thinks this is due to the material being plundered by other sci-fi films though.
    I thought Stanton did a good job though.
    FX were pretty **** good though
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Hoping to see it this Wednesday. Reviews seem to be all over the place, so I've really no idea what to expect.
    I saw it on Friday, it's just a fun film. Not very close to the book, but a fun film none the less. I wouldn't rate the 3d highly though. Mind you I went to a small cinema instead of one of the big chains (cheaper).
    There is a scene in the film that looks as if a Mortal engines film could be done. I won't say any more because it will spoil the film for some.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I saw it on Sunday. I liked it, there were some questions I had when it came to his strength being enhanced but it did a good job of holding my attention.
    Gravity is less on Mars than on Earth.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    @Junuc Kleen, yes I understood that but if he can kill in one punch and do some other crazy stuff then why was he so easily man handled?