Ridley Scott's Prometheus (Updated with Trailer)

Aculag
Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
edited December 2011 in General

(HD quicktime options available here)
HOLY SH*T.
For one thing, it echoes the brilliance of the original Alien teaser with the sound design (that haunting wail), but also by building the title line-by-line, which is awesome. This is goosebump city, and I can't wait to see it in a proper resolution.
This is my most anticipated film for 2012, being that Alien is pretty much my favorite sci-fi film, and my top pick for "most horrifying film of all time." I haven't liked many of Ridley Scott's more recent films, but this is looking excellent so far, even just based on the crappy cam teaser.
One thing I hope they fix before this is properly released is the grammatical error, "it's" instead of "its". :)

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    I saw this had appeared at the weekend, but I'm holding out for a decent quality version before watching it. So, er, I'll get back to you. :)
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    I'm with Simon on this, I hate screeners. Screeners shot on mobile phones from laptop screens are even worse.
  • guitar74
    guitar74 Posts: 506
    I hate to ask, what is so special about this movie?? Thanks, Chad

• I hate to ask, what is so special about this movie?? Thanks, Chad
    A sci-fi directed by Ridley Scott, based in the same universe as the Alien series, whats not special about that?
    I won't be watching a leaked screener, can't stand low quality footage, in fact I probably wont watch the actual trailer unless it comes on in the cinema - Just because I don't want to spoil anything.
  • Aculag
    I don't blame you guys for avoiding the screener. I have a weak will when it comes to anticipated films though. I'm one of the ones who studied the leaked images back in July or whenever.
    I can say that I think you will be well rewarded for waiting. :D
  • Nuwanda
    Nuwanda Posts: 174 Enthusiast
    edited November 2011
    I watched the 1st Aliens movie on VHS in 1984 and the sequel on the big screen in 1986 - it really blews me away.
    3rd movie was fine but "Alien: Resurrection" was waste of time and money.
    Nevertheless in 2012 there will be a double-feature:
    -> Ridley Scott's Prometheus movie
    -> Sega's "Aliens: Colonial Marines" video game

Love the idea to go onto a bug hunt with my friends in Koop-Mode B-)
  • Aculag
    edited November 2011
    Alien: Resurrection is a very odd film, but I prefer to think of it as a separate, standalone entity. It's a Jean Pierre Jeunet film much more than it is an Alien film. It's quirky and comical and has this bizarre charm to it, so much so that it stands out much more than Alien3 did in my opinion. I enjoy it, but not as a part of the Alien series. I also think the white human/alien hybrid is really stupid looking, and I always have.
  • guitar74
    What is the prometheus about? Alen is a good movie, but since then there have been better movies!
  • SimonKJones
    I saw Resurrection again relatively recently and rather liked it - up until the Newborn, which is still godawful. But the first half of the film is actually rather good. I actually rate it slightly above Alien3, which craps all over the first two films and has some of the worst effects in the entire series.
  • Gone already. But i am looking forward to a new alien movie..
    @Resurrection: I like that movie(exept the ending). And i LOVE that scene when Ripley gets smacked in the face in the basketball room... the way she reacts to this is priceless. Sigourney is sooo cool in that movie.
  • Aculag
    edited November 2011

What is the prometheus about? Alen is a good movie, but since then there have been better movies!
    There's no doubt that there have been better movies, but in my eyes, there has never been a better horror film made. Alien has this perfect dread throughout the running time that I don't think any other films have even come close to matching. It's a product of its era, though, and people just don't do horror the same way anymore. I could argue that no one's ever done it like Ridley Scott did, hopefully until now. :)
    Actually, and this is mostly off topic, but I think the best horror movie of the last decade was The House of the Devil, which is made in the style of an early-mid 80s film. It's fairly underrated if you ask me, and touches all of the notes that I think make for a fantastic horror film. None of those trendy jump scares and orchestral stings, just pure dread and fascination. Love it.
    Anyway, Prometheus is a sort of pseudo-prequel to Alien. It takes place in the same universe, though I think something like 50 years prior to the events of Alien, and from what I understand, it follows a research team who've been sent to gather information about an artifact that was found on Earth. I don't want to get much further into it because of spoilers, and because I frankly just don't know much more than that. If you want to get more info, it's out there, but I've been avoiding spoilers, except for the trailer. But like StrikEm said, the reason to be excited is because it's a sci-fi film by Ridley Scott, who's only done two sci-fi films before (Alien and Blade Runner,) and they're both considered some of the greatest sci-fi ever made. It also has a pretty great cast, including Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, and Guy Pearce. All signs point to great things.

@Resurrection: I like that movie(exept the ending). And i LOVE that scene when Ripley gets smacked in the face in the basketball room... the way she reacts to this is priceless. Sigourney is sooo cool in that movie.
    You can't really go wrong with Ron Perlman either. That guy just has a way about him that makes every scene he's in a very cool scene to watch. He has some really good lines in that.
  • guitar74
    Wish it was going to be in 3D, those are the best films. Still looking to find a home software program that is close to the Dolby 3D
  • SimonKJones
    I think that's the first time I've ever heard somebody say they prefer 3D. :)
    Personally, I wouldn't say that a purely technical aspect such as whether it is in 3D (or in black and white, or colour, or subtitled, or in 4:3 or 16:9, etc) has any impact on the quality of a film.

• Personally, I wouldn't say that a purely technical aspect such as whether it is in 3D (or in black and white, or colour, or subtitled, or in 4:3 or 16:9, etc) has any impact on the quality of a film.
    As long as a film is presented in it's intended aspect ratio I can watch it, I can't bare to watch cropped full screen versions of films made for 2:35.1 (or wider) it destroys the cinematography; which is why I never watch films on ITV.
    Prometheus has been filmed in 3d, I read an interview where Scott said he intends to film more of his future films in 3d too, but i don't know if thats a true quote or the type where a studio has said "say it's amazing, we'll give you a bigger budget/ green light another film".
    I'm still on the fence over 3d films, I've only seen 3 films in 3d, Avatar, Thor, and TF3. Avatar worked well, I didn't know Thor wasn't filmed in 3d - if i had known i would have opted for a 2d version, and Transformers 3 seemed like a mixed bag, parts worked well and others hurt my eyes (yet i still enjoyed the hell out of it).
    I'm surprised a trailer for this was leaked, as I heard security was very tight on set (more than i can say about batmans set) so i'm pretty sure this is a bit of an intended leak, a bit like that Girl with the dragon Tattoo trailer leak.
  • HybridHalo
    HybridHalo Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    ...Alien3, which craps all over the first two films...
    Excuse me?
  • Max
    Max Posts: 53

Excuse me?
    I think, and hope, that Simon means it craps on them in the sense that it befouls them because it shares their name but not quality.
    I really hope Prometheus is good, but Ridders has been on a run of what can only really be termed complete sh*t for a while now, so I'm unsure.
  • Aculag
    Official poster. Not so keen on the tagline placement, but this is a really good poster otherwise.
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vUWnb.jpg[/IMG]
    Can someone change the thread title to "Ridley Scott's Prometheus", so we can just discuss the film in here instead of the trailer that no longer exists?
  • RodyPolis
    RodyPolis Posts: 612 Just Starting Out*
    You made the thread, so you should be able to change the title. Just use the full editor.
  • Aculag
    I did not know that. Thanks dude.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Well, back to the topic at hand, Prometheus. I think the poster looked good. It works for me. I agree that the tagline is oddly placed but I'm not sure where I'd put it instead... Where do you think the placement for it should be?
  • SimonKJones
    I don't mind so much about the placement of the tagline...but I do mind that it's a godawful tagline. One of those convenient looping soundbites that politicians and marketing gurus love, which sound meaningful but are mostly waffle.
    As for my earlier Alien3 comment - if you are in any way a fan of Alien or Aliens, Alien3 treats them with utter disdain. All the struggle Ripley (and Newt and Hicks in Aliens) goes through in the first two films is made entirely irrelevant and pointless given the events of Alien3. Not so much in Ripley's sacrifice at the end, which at least serves dramatic purpose, but in the off-screen, off-hand killing of Newt and Hicks, relegating them to non-plot points. It's disrespectful.
    I don't consider Alien3 'canon', simply because it makes it fairly pointless to bother watching Alien and Aliens, from a story point of view.
  • Aculag

Where do you think the placement for it should be?
    I don't think it should be there at all. Not every film needs a catchy tagline, and like Simon said, it's not a great one anyway. I think the poster would be more evocative without it.
  • SimonKJones
    edited December 2011
    RIDLEY SCOTT REDEFINES WHAT EPIC MEANS:

In case you didn't know, EPIC = small things that are in fact ENORMOUS. You just didn't notice because they're so small.
    I think we all know what he's talking about.
    Edit: On a more serious note, I'm loving the set design.
  • Aculag
    edited December 2011
    It's amazing how excited that little clip is making me. There's a second one that came out yesterday too with more bits of awesome looking footage:

Apparently the trailer debuts tomorrow in front of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. And I THINK The Hobbit trailer is also out tomorrow with Tin Tin. It's a good time for 2012 trailers.
  • Darren
    Darren Posts: 164

I don't think it should be there at all. Not every film needs a catchy tagline, and like Simon said, it's not a great one anyway. I think the poster would be more evocative without it.
    Agreed
  • Aculag
    edited December 2011
    I added this 720p trailer in the OP. Here is the Quicktime link with 1080p version if you're so inclined.

Looks like this is going to be about the Space Jockeys, AKA, the weird fossilized creature in the huge chair in the derelict ship in Alien. The same style of ship is on prominent display in this trailer. Why can't it be June already? Of the amazing trailers released this week, this is my favorite by far.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    I didn't really like the trailer, personally. The thing that bothered me most was the way the title slowly appeared on the screen, the lines appearing distracted me from the background. After I finished watching it, I rewatched it to focus on the background and realized I completely missed at least half of the clips in there due to focusing on the lines on the screen instead. The other thing I was a little confused about in the trailer is from 5-13 seconds there is a voice saying something that I didn't catch either time and then it just cuts out when the first title comes on. It just didn't make sense to me, especially since the voice never came back or what not. Not really working for me...
  • Aculag
    edited December 2011
    The title building line by line is a nod to the original Alien trailer, and the speech is meant to be mostly unintelligible. Watch the '79 Alien trailer and it might make more sense.
  • MatthiasClaflin

The title building line by line is a nod to the original Alien trailer, and the speech is meant to be mostly unintelligible. Watch the '79 Alien trailer and it might make more sense.
    Ah. I've never seen any of the Alien movies so this may be why I found it to be a little weird, however I do like the overall style of this trailer, fyi. The images are fantastic! Definitely great work on that end of things.