Hologram Concept Test

JediMaster33JediMaster33 Website User Posts: 62
edited October 2011 in Post-production techniques
Hi All,
I put up a quick concept test for a Star Wars like hologram. This idea will be integrated into a project I will be working on the rest of this year and part of next. It will be a promo with all kinds of effects. I didn't have any good green screen footage, so I borrowed stuff from the Hitfilm Force Lightning Tutorial for this quick concept test. It came out pretty good for about an hour of work. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks
John B-)

Comments

• FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
    Cool, can u make the the whole thing flicker and move, (the texture of the blue people is good, it just needs some further movement, you'll know what I mean when you compare ours with star wars ones)
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Wow, looks nice! Maybe blur the edges a bit, so they don't look as sharp?
  • DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
    Nice job! The points Froi Productions and Hiraku made would definitely improve it for me. I might also try making the banding a little less uniform.

Nice job! The points Froi Productions and Hiraku made would definitely improve it for me. I might also try making the banding a little less uniform.
    Why is everyone calling me Hiraku??? :D
    Good point, maybe not only less uniform but also a bit more movement in there too.
  • DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out

Why is everyone calling me Hiraku??? :D
    *Looks really closely* Ohhhh your name is actually Hikaru! My bad :D
    edited October 2011

*Looks really closely* Ohhhh your name is actually Hikaru! My bad :D
    Nevermind, lol :D
    Actually that isn't my name either, my real name is Robin. :P
  • JediMaster33JediMaster33 Website User Posts: 62
    edited October 2011
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the input.
    I have posted the new and improved video let me know what you think of it.
    Thanks,
    John B-)
  • mercianfilmmercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    Looks really good! i like the flicker and the bars going across it. If i was to make a suggestion though- i'd personally make it a little more transparent or perhaps a bit whiter around te edges- not by much. That's just me though- i think it looks great as it is! Nice work.
    Sam
  • FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966

Looks really good! i like the flicker and the bars going across it. If i was to make a suggestion though- i'd personally make it a little more transparent or perhaps a bit whiter around te edges- not by much. That's just me though- i think it looks great as it is! Nice work.
    Sam
    I think the transparency is fine, but maybe the grain of the footage, maybe it should have some transparent fuzz in it, like the white and black static (fuzz) you get on the tv
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    I like it. I would try playing with the contrast within the hologram footage itself, to try add a bit more definition. Try make the darker areas a bit more transparent, with the bright areas strong like they are now. Definitely an improvement over the first version though, and a pretty decent hologram effect, just as it is.
  • SpectrOdrake Corp.SpectrOdrake Corp. Website User Posts: 135
    Wow ! pretty good
  • ThelurkerishThelurkerish Website User Posts: 141
    Good effect but I think Axel has identified how it could be improved
  • IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff
    I really like this as well. I think the actual projection triangle shape could do with some texture and making a few light rays would not go amiss?
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Adding some floaty dust particles into the light beam would be cool. Also, maybe use Film Damage to give the hologram more of a jumpy/stuttery look?
    Some stuff going into 1.1 will be useful for this kind of effect...
  • DiscoTrollDiscoTroll Website User Posts: 62
    @ Simon
    [quote]Some stuff going into 1.1 will be useful for this kind of effect... [/quote]

Tease! :P
    Thanks to all, for all the great feedback. To Simon, what sort of things in 1.1 will make this effect better and when will it be out?
    Keep posting helpful ideas, I will be filming the project I am working on in the next month or two and I want to perfect this before then.
    John B-)
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

Thanks to all, for all the great feedback. To Simon, what sort of things in 1.1 will make this effect better and when will it be out?
    If we could tell you yet, you would already know. :) There's some very cool stuff in the works for the 1.1 update, and it is coming along quite nicely. Keep your eyes on the blog, as when we can announce them, that's where you will hear about the new features.
  • MproducerMproducer Website User Posts: 45
    I need to make a hologram effect and have not been able to make anything that looked good yet.
    So I was considering just buying the Holomatrix plugin over at Red Giant.
    If anyone has an idea how to get the scan lines added and quality of this plugin but do it in Hitfilm Ultimate, please let me know.
    What are you using for the scan lines at present? The Scan Lines effect in HitFilm gives you pretty complete control over the scan lines it creates, is there something specific you are having trouble getting it to do? The Film Damage and Television Damage effects also give some good interference options that could work well for holograph type effects.
  • MproducerMproducer Website User Posts: 45
    I guess I just have not used Hitfilm enough, and some more experimentation is necessary.
    Usally I use other tools, and need more training with hitfilm.
    It appears trial and error will be my school.
    Well, in addition to trial and error, don't forget the video tutorials, which provide lots of basic training, and the forums, where you can continue to ask questions if you get stumped or confused.
  • GrisbyGrisby Website User Posts: 299 Just Starting Out
    I like the Effect very much... looks like improved Holo's, so to say a modern Version... not the "old one's", always loosing the Focus... ;-)
    Trial and error is the best way to do this kind of shot. Nobody has made a tutorial for Hitfilm to create this kind of effect. So, I combined basic green screen techniques with parts of the old Fx Home tutorial on holograms to create a believable one. I actually need to use this effect for an upcoming project I will be working on part of this year and next. In addition I plan on updating the effect. Maybe someone would write me a tutorial when I complete the final effect.
    Hitfilm Ultimate is awesome and it is a piece of cake to create these effects. Now, with 2D point tracking and other new features, it will only get easier and better. I highly recommend this program.
    Peace out,
    John B-)
  • Mike´sFilmMike´sFilm Website User Posts: 6

i have figured out you need, tv noise, tv film damage, scanline, blur and glow effect for a believable Holoprojection.

This here i have made with Blender. But i think with HitFilm i can improove it.

hologram_by_mconda4ever-d5x3c1h.png

• foleyproductionfoleyproduction Website User Posts: 110

How do you create the triangle shape from the light please ?

@foleyproduction The easiest way, and I guess the way this was done originally, would be to just create a plane in the color of the light, mask it to form the triangle, lower it's opacity and set it's blend mode to screen or add.

• foleyproductionfoleyproduction Website User Posts: 110

Hey Robin

Thanx that's what i tried at first but i haven't thought about the blend mode, maybe that's why i couldn't get the proper result.

Great tip

Yeah, Add or Screen blend modes is something you should always keep in mind when creating anything that should resemble something emitting light. Hope it works :)