Simple light project - why can't I do it?

Here is the idea: get some object, whatever, a word, such as "lights" and make it into a composite shot. Next, add some light. Which requires creating a camera, first. OK. Got the camera. Final step: make a "light" layer. I should see some light, shoudn't I? After hours of trying, I can't get any light. What am I missing? Can it be THAT hard?

Comments

• VikingFilm65VikingFilm65 Website User Posts: 261
    Check what kinda light you have, and where it is pointing to. maybe its pointing in the wrong direction. Use perspective view maybe to help to position the light properly.
    But yes, it can be a bit tricky. As the light is created, it never points in the right direction at first, you kinda hvae to twist it around to where you want to point it.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Make sure you are pointing the light toward whatever layer you want it to illuminate. Just like in the real world, when you are working in the 3D compositing environment of HitFilm, the lights need to be pointing toward the subject before they will illuminate it. This is especially true when using Spotlights or Directional lights.
  • FrugifexFrugifex Website User Posts: 18
    Appreciate the help. Indeed, (as the Hitfilm support explained to me) the pointing and the light type was the issue. Being a beginner, I get stuck on some elementary snags.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    When starting off with 3D lights, I find that 'Point' lights are perhaps the easiest to use, as they don't require a specific direction.